How I cloned the 64Gb eMMC to a 256Gb M.2 SSD

How I cloned the 64Gb eMMC to a 256Gb M.2 SSD

TechTablets Forums Chuwi Forums Chuwi LapBook Series How I cloned the 64Gb eMMC to a 256Gb M.2 SSD

This topic contains 10 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of baavainh baavainh 2 days, 11 hours ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Ernst
    Ernst
    Participant

Yesterday I installed an ADATA SP600 M.2 SSD in my LapBook. Fitted ok. and worked fine.

The ADATA SSD, when registered on their site, gets you a license for Acronis HD to clone the existing eMMC drive to the new SSD. But for some reason it wouldn’t work. It needs to restart the LapBook but then instead of loading Acronis it simply loads Windows again and nothing happens. (Later I noticed that Acronis creates some sort of UEFI partition called Acronis Loader. It appears it doesn’t set the boot priority in the LapBook EFI partition to it, so it won’t start. If you manually tell the BIOS to boot from that partition, it might work.)

Also (this version of) Acronis cannot move or resize partitions. The eMMC has a recovery partition as the last partition, this partition needs to be moved to the end of the new 256Gb. disk and the free extra space on that disk needs to be allocated to the C: partion. So I looked further for free tools to do this.

I used Macrium Free (version 6, do not download the > 800 Mb. Windows PE, you don’t need it) to clone the disk which makes a one-to-one clone of the 3 partitions on the eMMC (UEFI, Windows, Recovery) to the new SSD. Thereafter I could format the remaining space as drive D: to see whether this worked.

In the LapBook BIOS (hold Esc when booting to enter the BIOS) I disabled booting from the eMMC (and disabled booting from the Acronis Loader, see above) and it worked; the LapBook boots fine from the new SSD.

I then used “Aomei partition assistant” (also free) to move the recovery partition to the end of the SSD and resized C: to add all extra space (first delete partion D: to be able to add it to C:). That software rebooted the LapBook fine to do its business outside of Windows. Rebooted twice and then booted Windows from the SSD. Worked great.

As long as you don’t confuse source and destination there is no risk; you can always enable boot from the eMMC and try again.

I now have a 238 Gb. C: drive which is really fast (around 300 Mb./s write, 450 Mb./s read).

And a bonus is that the LapBook now has a second working Windows installation on the eMMC. Whenever for some reason the machine won’t boot from the SSD (when Microsoft screws up Windows after an update for instance), I can enable to boot from eMMC to get to my data or copy the working partition from eMMC to the SSD to be able to boot again.

The good news is also that Windows on the SSD stays activated since the license is in the BIOS I guess.

On a sidenote; I ordered two LapBook 14.1’s from Gearbest. The first one had the OOBE experience but the second one came with Windows preloaded with an ADMIJN account pre-configured. Weird. But at least it came with a legal version of Windows.

Profile photo of Alain Danteny
    Alain Danteny
    Participant

Thanks for the tips 😉 post bookmarked for later use !

Phones : OnePlus 3T Gold, OnePlus Three Graphite, OnePlus X Onyx, OnePlus Two 64, Motorola Nexus 6, OnePlus One 64
    Watch : Moto360 (Gen 1), SmartQ Z1
    Tablets: Chuwi vi10, Onda V972, Ainol Venus 7, Pipo M9, iPad 1
    MiniPCs: Chuwi Laptop 14.1, Jumper EZBook 2, Pipo W9S, Tronsmart Ara X5, Pipo X8, Pipo X7s
    TV Box : Xiaomi MiBox Mini, SmartBox Q8, UG802, GM282
    Cast : ChromeCast, Tronsmart T2000
    Fitness : Xiaomi MiBand 2, 1S, 1, MiScale, iHealth BP

Profile photo of Ernst
    Ernst
    Participant

Also don’t forget to move the screw that otherwise sits between the metal strip and the SSD over to the screwhole on the left (with the keyboard facing you and the LapBook opened on its back). Chris showed this in one of his review videos. The screw might otherwise touch some component on the SSD and cause problems or causes the SSD not to fit.

Profile photo of Peter
    Peter
    Participant

I installed a 1TB ssd in my lapbook 14.1.   One thing I noticed (and I did move the screw) that the case is slightly bulged in that corner where the SSD is.  The bottom cover won’t click in because of it.  Did you guys find the same thing or perhaps the SSD I installed is thicker…not a big problem, just doesn’t look quite right.

Profile photo of Ernst
    Ernst
    Participant

As far as I know, the maximum M.2 capacity offered in 2242 format is 512Gb (Transcend).

Thus, I reckon your 1 Tb. SSD is in 2280 (22 mm. wide, 80 mm. long) format? In that case indeed you will have problems fitting it. Towards the front, the case is tapered so the space within that area is limited. A 2242 format SSD fits fine, 2260 probably does not fit and a 2280 certainly does not fit.

Profile photo of Warren
    Warren
    Participant

Well I will have to wait for a couple of weeks- I have an ssd sitting at the border in the USA. I live about three hours away in the mountains of British Columbia.
    I am having a spot of bother with the key pad. A Bluetooth keypad or a usb works fine. I am looking forward to having the ssd installed.

Profile photo of Arturo del Bosque
    Arturo del Bosque
    Participant

Hi!
    I will get tomorrow a SSD I will try to clone the system. But, Is really necessary clone the recovery partition? Maybe is possible to let it on the EMMC.

Profile photo of Ernst
    Ernst
    Participant

Hi,

Perhaps the owners of a LapBook 14.1 have noticed that after cloning Windows on the eMMC to an SSD, the search function from Windows 10 doesn’t work properly. Most noticeable when searching for “Windows Update”. If it finds links to this, for instance “Windows Update Settings”, and you click on it you will get an error.

Most PC Settings in search give this error. This is caused by the fact that Windows sees two harddisks with two identical Windows setups. Windows uses a number of ID’s (called GUID) to identify a Windows setup. There are now two harddisks with the same volume name, and important here, the same indexer GUID.

The solution is here:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_cortana/windows-10-indexing-selects-wrong-drive/685ec87b-e7f3-454b-89c9-c485b94bb69d

What worked for me:

• Create a Windows recovery drive (USB) and boot into it
    • Open the command prompt (from within Troubleshoot -> Advanced Options)
    • Type del “D:\System Volume Information\IndexerVolumeGuid”
    • Reboot

And then rebuild the index (which will take a while) in Control Panel, Indexing Options, Advanced. Make sure that you include (not exclude) the c:\users\<your username>\appdata directory too. If the settings show you that this directory is disabled make sure that within File Explorer hidden files are shown, then you can deselect this directory. It is a hidden directory.

The appdata directory stores a large number of pointers to all the various PC Settings so that they can be found from Windows Search.

I used a very slow old USB 2.0 flashdrive. Creating the recovery drive took several hours…

Take care.

Ernst

Profile photo of Phoenix
    Phoenix
    Participant

Did anyone tried a 60 mm at least? Or is it just not possible? Maybe when the iron bar is removed it fits?

Profile photo of Alain Danteny
    Alain Danteny
    Participant

I didn’t try, but, considering the space left, I don’t think it will fit 🙁

Phones : OnePlus 3T Gold, OnePlus Three Graphite, OnePlus X Onyx, OnePlus Two 64, Motorola Nexus 6, OnePlus One 64
    Watch : Moto360 (Gen 1), SmartQ Z1
    Tablets: Chuwi vi10, Onda V972, Ainol Venus 7, Pipo M9, iPad 1
    MiniPCs: Chuwi Laptop 14.1, Jumper EZBook 2, Pipo W9S, Tronsmart Ara X5, Pipo X8, Pipo X7s
    TV Box : Xiaomi MiBox Mini, SmartBox Q8, UG802, GM282
    Cast : ChromeCast, Tronsmart T2000
    Fitness : Xiaomi MiBand 2, 1S, 1, MiScale, iHealth BP

Profile photo of baavainh
    baavainh
    Participant

i managed to fit 2280 with metal bar, but i had to sandpaper back cover a bit and ssd is a little bent. however with removed metal bar ssd fits perfectly. i imagine 2260 will fit perfectly without any modifications

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password