How to Install – Manjaro Linux on Jumper EZBook 3 Pro v4

How to Install – Manjaro Linux on Jumper EZBook 3 Pro v4

TechTablets Forums Jumper Discussion EZBook series How to Install – Manjaro Linux on Jumper EZBook 3 Pro v4

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Brad
    Participant

How I got Manjaro XFCE 17.1 pre2 installed on my SSD. Note: requires installing the rEFInd boot manager see this thread.
    This is a pre-release of Manjaro using the very latest linux kernel 4.14
    https://forum.manjaro.org/t/solved-refind-live-usb-wont-boot-w-manjaro-xfce-17-1-pre2-nor-17-06/34993/15?u=bako62

Xfce is fast and lean on memory use. A great match for lower powered notebooks.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Brad
    Participant

[Edit:] The problem is resolved. It seems related to a faulty burn of the ISO to USB.  I did it again on a slower 2.0 port instead of the 3.0 port and then it worked.
    So the Manjaro Architect net-installer can be used to install the latest Manjaro version – as long as you start it with the rEFInd boot manager as explained here.

This post is just for tracking purposes. I posted on the Manjaro forum about their net-installer (Manjaro Architect v17.04) crashes when I try to install Manjaro on my EZBook 3 Pro with it.  Architect allows the installation of any Manjaro distro and version.  It worked fine on my Lenovo G50 notebook.  On my EZB3P only once it got as far as  connecting to my Wifi router, began updating, then crashed…  https://forum.manjaro.org/t/architect-17-04-is-unstable-crashes/35180?u=bako62
       Note: as mentioned above, the normal non-net install ISO (pre-release) manjaro-xfce-17.1-pre2-stable-x86_64.iso works OK with the rEFInd boot manager.

Brad
    Participant

The simple steps to run the Manjaro Architect net-installer:

• Use Etcher to burn a USB drive with the rEFInd 0.11.2 USB flash drive image file. (** if it doesn’t work try version 0.11.0)
    • Burn another USB drive with Manjaro Architect ISO 17.04 manjaro-architect-17.0.4-stable-x86_64.iso
    • Plug both USB drives in, power on, when you see the Jumper logo hold down the F7-key to enter the BIOS boot menu, select the rEFInd USB drive partition 1
    • Press <Enter>, The rEFInd boot menu starts, select the Linux icon labelled MJRO1704, press the F2-key twice, then edit the startup line to look like this:
      misobasedir=manjaro misolabel=MJRO1704 linux=boot\vmlinuz-x86_64 initrd=boot\initramfs-x86_64.img
    • Press <Enter>, and you should see it startup and end at the Architect login/setup prompt.
      See the Manjaro Architect tutorial for network-installation directions and more info.

When installation completes. Unplug the Architect USB but leave the rEFInd USB in.  Reboot and press the F7-key again and select the rEFInd USB again.
    rEFInd will start and should show the newly installed Manjaro.  Select it and hit <enter>
    When Manjaro boots up open <Add/Remove Software> , hit <ctrl-F> and search for “refind-efi-bin“, then install it.
    When complete, open a terminal and type “refind-install“.
    These last steps are needed to make rEFInd permanent so you don’t have to boot through the USB drive.
    Reboot, then enter your BIOS settings (press/hold <Esc> at the Jumper logo) and make sure rEFInd Boot Manager is first in the boot sequence.  Done.

Brad
    Participant

It turns out the above install procedure using the Manjaro Architect ISO also works for the latest release of the normal non-network installergraphical installer ISO for Xfce v17.06.  I thought it didn’t work because it kept crashing on me, but it turns out it was caused by the cheap USB drive not making a good connection. I pulled the drive partially out so it felt tighter fitting (less loose) then it booted without crashing.  The only difference from above is to change the command line for starting it to:
    misobasedir=manjaro misolabel=MJRO1706 linux=boot\vmlinuz-x86_64 initrd=boot\initramfs-x86_64.img

Brad
    Participant

Wow, Manjaro is #1 most popular Linux distribution this week on Distrowatch.com, that is surprising but not undeserved!…

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Kalle
    Participant

Is a respin of this iso required?

Brad
    Participant

No it’s not.  Respin’s only work with Debian based ISO’s (eg. Ubuntu, Mint).  Manjaro is based on Arch Linux not Debian.
    If it was required I would have included that in the directions above.

Kalle
    Participant

Ok, great, will during the weekend.

Raffael
    Participant

thanks for the guide.. i got the newest stable version of manjaro xfce (17.1.1) running.. rufus(2.18) works also fine to burn the images to usb stick.. my only issue is the touchpad wont work.. seems like a common problem..

Brad
    Participant

for the touchpad problem try kernel 4.14.3 or above but not 4.15.x

Kalle
    Participant

thanks for the guide.. i got the newest stable version of manjaro xfce (17.1.1) running.. rufus(2.18) works also fine to burn the images to usb stick.. my only issue is the touchpad wont work.. seems like a common problem..

for the touchpad problem try kernel 4.14.3 or above but not 4.15.x

Same here. Tried both 15 (which is the only one that works for me on Linux Mint) and 14 but sadly touchpad is completely unresponsive.

Edit: Shutting of the laptop completely, waiting 10 seconds and then starting it again fixed the issue!

John Smith
    Participant

Use 4.15rc7 (latest) it is ok with ubuntu. I did the install with UKUU.

Brad
    Participant

I don’t recommend 4.15, at least with Manjaro. 4.14 is LTS (Long Term Support for 6 years) and so I assume will be better supported and tested.
    @Kalle, try running this command in a terminal window and see if it enables the touchpad when it’s not working.
    It might save time from needing to cold reboot (power off) your machine…
    sudo modprobe -rv i2c_hid && sudo modprobe -v i2c_hid

Brad
    Participant

What BIOS version do you have? Mine…
    ~$ dmesg | grep JUMPER
    Jumper EZbook/P313R, BIOS JUMPER10x.P8.WP313R.NHNAUHN02 08/07/2017

Brad
    Participant

Also look at the latest (bottom) comments on the official bug thread might help as the touchpad problem manifests differently depending on your machine and BIOS version:  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1728244
    PS. the YEPO 737A looks like it’s just a re-branded EZB3Pro

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar