How to install – Antergos Linux on the EZbook 3 Pro v4

How to install – Antergos Linux on the EZbook 3 Pro v4

TechTablets Forums Jumper Discussion EZBook series How to install – Antergos Linux on the EZbook 3 Pro v4

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 72 total)
  • Author
    Brad
    Participant

Is there some reason why you chose that Sandisk X400S SSD?

Brad
    Participant

Could be yes, and maybe rc7 was not patched (mine for sure not). But your link is briliant, i can live with “old” patched 4.13, until 4.15 final released.

Doesn’t help me on Manjaro Xfce, my preferred distro.  I need to learn how to compile it with the patch I suppose.
    Does the isorespin script work for LinuxMint?  is it difficult to do?

Brad
    Participant

Could be yes, and maybe rc7 was not patched (mine for sure not). But your link is briliant, i can live with “old” patched 4.13, until 4.15 final released.

Hi John,
    I made respin ISO’s using “./isorespin.sh -i ./ubuntu-17.10-desktop-amd64.ISO –apollo”  and also with linuxmint-18.2-xfce-64bit.iso and neither resulting respinned ISO would work for me.  With the respinned ISO linuxium-apollo-ubuntu-17.10-desktop-amd64.iso the live-USB booted OK but after I installed it onto my SSD, it would not boot up.  Same result for Linux Mint.  Thoughts?  Did you install onto SSD or eMMC? what Ubuntu ISO did you use?  And what isorespin flags?

John Smith
    Participant

I am updating the Ubunut 17.10 installation steps to refect this:

• Download Ubuntu 17.10
    • Download fixed isorespin from link above or from here: https://goo.gl/ZnUd6H
    • Download refind-bin-0.11.0.zip from https://sourceforge.net/projects/refind/files/0.11.0
    • Install refind manually under windows (see another manual), create refind entry for BIOS (on target PC)
    • Create a working folder where you will store downloaded files: fixed <span class=”skimlinks-unlinked”>isorespin.sh</span>, ubuntu iso file and rEFInd 0.11.0 version (another ubuntu PC)
    • Unzip refind-bin-0.11.0.zip (make sure that refind-bin-0.11.0 folder is inside working folder)
    • Use newly downloaded <span class=”skimlinks-unlinked”>isorespin.sh</span> to customize downloaded image
    • <span class=”skimlinks-unlinked”>isorespin.sh</span> -i ~/<ubunit-is> -b rEFInd
      Use Rufus windows to create bootable USB (dd command from linux not worked for me)
      NOTE: I could not boot sucessfuly with dd command (tried two different USBs) – I had to use rufus on windwos.
    • Plug USB into ezbook 3 pro (target PC)
    • Restart ezbook and press Esc to go to into BIOS
    • Go to Boot tab and set refind as a first in a boot order. Save and Exist BIOS
    • It will now boot rEFInd where you can select Ubuntu icon that will boot into Ubuntu graphical installer.
    • After install download patched kernel and apply
    • Profit
    John Smith
    Participant

DO NOT use refind over 0.11.0, it wont boot up! I am using refind 0.11.0.

Brad
    Participant

John, Thanks for the reply and details.  I did all of that OK. For me the respun Ubuntu USB boot up fine on and everything was working (even the touchpad oddly enough).  Only after I installed onto my SSD it would not boot.
    A couple differences in what I did from you is I used Etcher to burn the USB (it always works great).  And I ran isorespin.sh with the option/flag “–apollo” versus you used “-b rEFInd”  but obviously that –apollo also installs rEFInd because my USB boot up with the rEFInd menu showing only one choice (Ubuntu).
    I’ll try it again.

John Smith
    Participant

Check refind version, you should use 0.11.0. If it is not in the isorespin directory, the script downloads and isntalls the latest version of refind. I did install on to ssd with root option “/” and ext4 format. I had unallocated partion (40GB)  after windows recovery to install ubuntu.

Brad
    Participant

Hi John. Well I finally got it working, though it was a major PITA. I was in Linux debugging hell for a while until eventually finding out that my /etc/fstab file had an incorrect UUID for the ESP partition. Such is life with all the distro experimenting I’ve been doing.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Brad
    Participant

DO NOT use refind over 0.11.0, it wont boot up! I am using refind 0.11.0.

The latest refind is 0.11.2 right now but I understood you and already saw that blog post by Linuxium saying to use 0.11.0.

Brad
    Participant

Well @codric/John spoke too soon.  Even with the custom kernel on Ubuntu 17.10 my touchpad has locked up 3-4 times so far.  Damn. Thought it was fixed.
    And the only thing that restores the touchpad function is resetting defaults in the BIOS.   Cold boot (power down) does not fix it.

John Smith
    Participant

It is weird, mine is working with the patched kernel, no touchpad freezing issues at all.

Brad
    Participant

It is weird, mine is working with the patched kernel, no touchpad freezing issues at all.

Yeah, well it seems timing related, so it can work for a long time without you ever seeing it.  For me it works 95% of the time.  I think due to all the testing I’ve been doing with various distro’s I’ve been restarting a lot, so maybe that’s why I hit it.  Same thing happened when I was first using Antergos. I thought it did not have the problem but then it happened a while later.  Btw, another guy said that Ubuntu 17.10 using the new 4.14 Kernel fixed it for him, though he says his left/right buttons don’t work, but touch and tap-to-click does.  Anyway, I’ve got Manjaro Xfce working now with Kernel 4.10 so I’ll be using that most of the time I think – I prefer it because it’s leaner on memory and CPU usage (it’s faster).

Brad
    Participant

FYI, Linuxium (Ian) has put out a new/improved version of his isorespin script – may help with Ubuntu and other distro installs.
    Please report your findings if you try it out.  Thx.

Kalle
    Participant

Weird. I Tried installing Fedora but couldn’t boot to the usb. So I installed rEFInd boot manager so now i Can choose between Windows or my Linux USB when starting the machine, but I still can’t install it. When I choose the USB, I get a black screen with some text saying “Starting grubx64.eif using load options ” _” and then nothing happends. I have tested with a Linux Mint USB aswell, same thing.

Edit: I used the isorespin  script to install both Ubuntu and Linux Mint, but I’m unable to get the touchpad working at all. Tried both 4.15.0 and 4.14.0 Resetting BIOS does nothing for me.

Edit: Now touchpad doesn’t even work in Windows anymore. Turning the laptop on and off seem to have resolved the issue. I wrote a small noob friendly installation guide: https://mega.nz/#!ugkjEDTC!VIYN_f-keJ6u_Q22LEV8lbvkQTfgLZOLTuWW7KrNg8U

Guillaume
    Participant

It seems i can’t post a comment with some links. The Trackpad works nearly everytimes for me, i uploaded the instructions here as i couldn’t post them directly on the forum (maybe detected as spam?).

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 72 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar