How to protect private files from access by other programs

How to protect private files from access by other programs

TechTablets Forums General General Discussion How to protect private files from access by other programs

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Chupa 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

jacobcullen
    Participant

<p class=”s90z9tc-10 fHRkcP”>I just realized that every program I use and run (without root privileges) can access my files in my home directory just because it is running in context of me.</p>
    <p class=”s90z9tc-10 fHRkcP”>So my current concern is how can I be sure that non of that proprietary program I run (e.g. Dropbox, Slack) are not trying to access my .ssh/id_rsa file. It is readable by me and of course program ran by me can access that file too (it means standard linux file privileges are useless in this case, right?).</p>
    <p class=”s90z9tc-10 fHRkcP”>Should I try to look into SELinux module? Will it help? I’m not sure if I want to use docker or similar jail-like stuff to isolate process I run. Maybe I should run such programs by another user and use something like xhost to allow that user to use my X server (in case we talk about GUI programs).</p>
    <p class=”s90z9tc-10 fHRkcP”>What do you do to make sure your private files are not touched by other programs?</p>
    <p class=”s90z9tc-10 fHRkcP”>Thanks!</p>

Chupa
    Participant

simple – put them on an external drive (sd card or usb stick) and remove when not needed

Need Help?
    1981 soldered my first Sinclair computer 1K, tapedeck * 1984 build and sold IBM clones 8Mhz, 512K, 20MB HDD * 2018 messing with ultrabooks

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password