[SOLVED] Intel 3165 ac-wifi poor performance w/v4 EZB3Pro

[SOLVED] Intel 3165 ac-wifi poor performance w/v4 EZB3Pro

TechTablets Forums Jumper Discussion EZBook series [SOLVED] Intel 3165 ac-wifi poor performance w/v4 EZB3Pro

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Brad
    Participant

I managed to get Linux installed and working perfectly on my Jumper EZbook 3 Pro v4- see this post Antergos v17.11 w/Gnome desktop.
    However, the Intel 3165 ac-WiFi NIC is not working well.  When booted into Antergos it does not recieve sufficient signal to connect but when booted into Windows it works fine in the exact same position/distance from my (wireless-n) router.  My other notebook with Realtek-N wifi work fine in the same place, albeit running a different version of Linux.  It works fine if I move close to the router but it’s really not very far, and again, the cheap Realtek-N adapter handles it fine.  Thoughts?  The Windows driver seems it’s better optimized somehow.
    Any known driver or performance issues with the 3165 on Linux?

Chris G
    Keymaster

Must be some setting or something the Linux driver is using. Maybe less gain strength? And Windows has it set to 100%

Chris | Admin
    Please support us and help keep TechTablets online. Affiliate revenue is used to pay for the server, studio apartment (Techtablets HQ) and buy new tech to review. Without it, this site would be dead.
    Next up for review:
    Ordered and waiting for my: BMAX S15 & Teclast F6 Plus
    Currently testing: LG G8X & Redmi K30

Brad
    Participant

One thing I found is whenever I plug the power/charging cable in the WiFi reception falls significantly.  This is very repeatable on Linux as it caused the connection from my bedroom to drop whenever I’m plugged in.  Dunno yet if this also happens when running Windows. Could be a power/saver setting for the wireless driver on Linux or could be some kinda hardware bug – eg., antenna wire place too close to the power wire? Will have to look into it.  Then again, upgrading my router to AC-wifi is prob easier solution.

Brad
    Participant

Well, good. I fixed the problem. Opened up the notebook and moved the wifi NIC antenna wire connections – where they snap onto the circuit board.  Turned them and pressed down to make sure they were  fully connected.  It looked like one of them was connected diagonally and may have been touching a metal part next to it. Maybe this is why when I plugged the power in the signal dropped way down.  Now I’m using the notebook from my bedroom and still have two bars on the signal display icon and the connection is staying up. It’s a relief because this problem was really bugging me.

juan
    Participant

Good to know. Thks

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar