iPlay 20 unbricking

iPlay 20 unbricking

TechTablets Forums Cube Forums General Discussion iPlay 20 unbricking

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Gary Ruben
    Participant

I bought the iPlay 20 based on Chris’s review. Thanks Chris! I’ve had it a few days now. It locked up once but has been great otherwise. Because of the lockup I tried updating the firmware to a more recent one from the Alldocube site, missed a step in the procedure and managed to hard brick it; pressing and holding all button combinations did nothing. There are some online guides on unbricking. It requires disconnecting and reconnecting the battery, which obviously requires opening the tablet. It opens easily with a little patience and care, and a guitar pick. I did it with just a fingernail. To open, take out the SIM tray first. Start at the bottom between the USB-C and screen and work you way around and it opens cleanly. The only loose piece that will fall out is the power + volume buttons piece. I snapped a photo of the internals (attached). I followed this guide to reflashing: https://youtu.be/sEPILDoP2qQ which worked. First disconnect the battery. Then with the flashing software primed and the USB cable attached, hold down the volume down and reconnect the battery. You should see the flashing software progress bar start and then you can release the button and let it finish; easy. Knowing I can recover it has given me the confidence to try out one of the Project Treble ROMs at a later date.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    HarimaKun
    Participant

Thank you so much, I was about to asking for a refund on my purchase, because the app stop during the flashing process resulting in hard brick.

You are my personal hero without a cape. 😛

Geoff N
    Participant

I too have just attempted to install the latest firmware but have ended up bricking the tablet. I’m not convinced that I executed the update properly. My question is, how can I unbrick the tablet and restore it to its original state, without installing the new firmware? I took the precaution of doing a full backup prior to attempting the upgrade. So if I can get the device working, I should be able to recover my data. Any ideas?

Geoff N
    Participant

Thank you. I followed your unbricking procedure and it worked for me, admittedly after several failed attempts. The new firmware was loaded and I managed to restore the tablet from a backup. It would have been so much easier to have received the firmware update OTA by WiFi in the first place. I think I’ll leave firmware updates until these come OTA.

Gary Ruben
    Participant

@geoffn Good to hear that you revived it. I think the OTA updates don’t come through with the earliest versions of the firmware, but hopefully now if they bring out any further updates they will come through OTA for you.

Kamal
    Participant

I don’t know why I decided to upgrade to the latest frimware from the original June one, and the process stopped in the middle and the tablet is bricked 🙁

I wanted to ask which firmware I should chose? The one in the YT tutorial or the original one from june 2020?

I hope I’ll be able to fix it….

Geoff N
    Participant

I used the August version but I think there is now a November update.

Kamal
    Participant

I used the August version but I think there is now a November update.

Did you use the AUGUST version for ubricking?

I used the same exact upgrade software version as in the video tutorial, and for some reason it doesn’t recognize any alldocube firmware.

Geoff N
    Participant

Yes, I used the August update for the unbricking. I am waiting for the November update to come by OTA. I do not want to risk bricking the tablet again by manually downloading, as it can be a pain.

Geoff N
    Participant

I suggest you use the latest upgrade (November?), since you have to unbrick anyway.

Kamal
    Participant

So I should use the latest november version for the unbricking process itself? I thought I should use the one provided in the YT video.

Which specific flashing software version did you use for unbricking that can read the alldocube firmware files?

Thanks again

Geoff N
    Participant

I think the version used in the video tutorial was generic and not meant to be specific. The flashing software versions I used were: SP Flash_Tool_v5.20 and SPUpgrade_v2.9.3 but I’m sorry I can’t remember which one finally worked.

Kamal
    Participant

This unbricking process is driving me crazy.

SPUpgrade_v2.9.3 isn’t accepting alldocube firmwares

Where did you download SP Flash_Tool_v5.20 from??

Geoff N
    Participant

I think I did everything starting with the Alldocube site : https://www.alldocube.com/en/firmware/alldocube-iplay20t1011s-firmware-download/

Kamal
    Participant

I think I did everything starting with the Alldocube site : https://www.alldocube.com/en/firmware/alldocube-iplay20t1011s-firmware-download/

I see

So basically you did the normal upgrade procedure with same flash software and firmware, with the only difference of connecting the battery plug to the motherboard while pressing the volume down button?

Did you change any option in the flashing software as instructed in the video?

For now the tablet isn’t giving any signs of life.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar