It might be time to stop buying the unreliable EZBOOK

It might be time to stop buying the unreliable EZBOOK

TechTablets Forums Jumper Discussion EZBook series It might be time to stop buying the unreliable EZBOOK

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Chupa
    Participant

I have been in this section of the forum for over 8 months, In this time I read all the posts (from the beginning) and watched all of Chris videos regarding the EZBOOK 2 and 3 and the similar ultrabooks.

After comparing the different versions, the 3s with a 14″ screen and ultra slim bezels (8mm) and a build in 256GB SSD for below 240 Euro shipped (on sale) made the most sense to me.
    When you take the price of a 256GB SSD from Gearbest where most get their Jumper from it is around 100 euro for a Kingdian m.2 (Aliexpress half price for a 256GB Kingspec) then the Jumper 3S is around 150Euro without memory.

It made sense to me to get a solution with a working SSD, especially reading about the problems people having getting a SSD to work. Then Jumper started messing with the bios and different components (read about it in the posts).
    The last months there are seldom “I love my Jumper” and mostly the darn bios is not working right, the wifi is crappy, my screen flickers when on low and why o why will my SSD not work. I formated it in windows 7 and installed a new system on it…. well windows 10 works much different and much more difficult. If you do on step wrong it will not work OR not work properly. I know, it cost me a day to fall into all the traps when I messed with another ultrabook.

So look for a system with all the upgrades you need installed like the Jumper 3S  and work happy or look somewhere else.
    You might also want to have a look at my other posts to get more insight of what works and what not and how to work around problems.

You also might find a helpful hint in the picture below.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Need Help?
    1981 soldered my first Sinclair computer 1K, tapedeck * 1984 build and sold IBM clones 8Mhz, 512K, 20MB HDD * 2018 messing with ultrabooks

FatEnzo
    Participant

I’, starting to agree with you.

A lot of problem and not a single bit of assistence or care by EZBOOK…

I understand this site, this forum but I must say that is not easy explain to my sefl where is the “plus” in buy this crappy and unworking and

with no service…

Pascal Zinken
    Participant

I asked the official jumper store for assistance on how to get the extra bought ssd to boot up the laptop. They react back: please give video. I ask why? They say to help. I write that i just want help with ssd booting the damn thing. No further reaction !

Chris G
    Keymaster

My V4 is working great and perfect apart from the slow eMMC. So why on earth did Jumper have to mess with the bios and other hardware to ruin a good laptop?? This is why I recommend the Teclast F7 from now on since I got it. Apart from the glossy screen its great a more refined EZBook 3 Pro.

Chris | Admin
    Please support us and help keep TechTablets online. Affiliate revenue is used to pay for the server, studio apartment (Techtablets HQ) and buy new tech to review. Without it, this site would be dead.
    Next up for review:
    Ordered and waiting for my: BMAX Y13, Mi Gaming Laptop (2019)
    Currently testing: ASUS ROG 2

Chupa
    Participant

Chris, for how long? and can we be sure the screen stays real IPS and the mouse pad does not change or the bios gets locked?  I read and watched most of your reviews and the best was when you attacked the Teclast screen with a knife and twisted the bezel into a work of “art”. For me the adventure of Chinese laptop  is over, when you weight everything, there are a lot of minuses what are just not worth the money you pay for.

I had my best deals with pre-owned equipment, you know what you get (mostly) you can test it and it is cheaper and more reliable (often) in the long run.
    Just got a Panasonic ZS60 4k photo and video 30x zoom from Cashconverters for 156 Euro.

I for myself will optimize the whatchamacallit out of my 3s until it croaks someday and then the replacement is already waiting (with the nice matte IPS) to get the 512GB ssd and continue without missing a beat.

Happy weekend

Need Help?
    1981 soldered my first Sinclair computer 1K, tapedeck * 1984 build and sold IBM clones 8Mhz, 512K, 20MB HDD * 2018 messing with ultrabooks

Hualalai
    Participant

It’s time to stop buying “certain brands”.  Shenzen “makers and brands” target the budget tablet, 2-in-1, and notebook spaces.  The “brand shops” use template designs from ODM shops and add some plastic.  Shenzen “brand shops” (which outsource everything, so they really are just marketing their brand) have (i) very little OS expertise compared to the Beijing makers (Lenovo and Xiaomi), and (ii)  QC that parallels their OS expertise.    The problems reported on TT fall along a spectrum of “real makers”  (Teclast, Alldocube, Chuwi at the top, which do have OS expertise, and “better” QC) to “mere brands from outsourcers using template designs” that have sub-par OS and QC expertise.  The old adage of Caveat Emptor (buyer beware) was never truer than in Shenzen tablets, where the only support is the user community.  If you return a defective device to China, you will typically receive another defective device, aka “refurbished”.  The most support I’ve seen is a partial refund.  To paraphrase Chris G’s comment, the “real makers” cost a little more than the “brand shops”, but are worth it, and you’re still saving a bundle compared to Beijing tablets (Lenovo is priced like Dell and HP, and Xiaomi now plays in the lower range of those).  If your work depends on it, you need a mobile workstation, and/or need tech support, buy HP, Dell, or Lenovo (or if low end, ~$1K, then Xiaomi, but no tech support).  Like Chupa wrote, the best deals are “used and working”, like HP, Dell, etc., with Win 10 Pro, already loaded with Office 2016 Pro, etc.  Last year, I got a Galaxy Book 12 LTE preloaded with Office 2016 for a few hundred dollars… the seller thought he would like it better than the big iPad, but changed his mind.  So what’s the appeal of Shenzen tablets, rather than waiting for a deal on eBay?  The challenge of getting one that works and making it better, esp. Android tablets that you can give to friends and family when you get the next one.

Chupa
    Participant

thank you for your insight.

Things will get more interesting when the trade wars start and the EU will crack down on the Chinese EU warehouses what sell with faked invoices.

Need Help?

PaulStone
    Participant

@Chupa

I think this topic should be stick up at the beginning of this ezbook sub forum. Nice looking device, but buying it is a lottery, will your unit be defective or not… and unfortunately odds are that more likely it will be broken.

@Mike think about it before you buy next one.

Chupa
    Participant

why does Jumper reminds me of Facebook? First everybody loves it and now they found out the truth – it is crap and not worth the time you spend with, but it was fun one time  in the olden days…

Need Help?

Hualalai
    Participant

Competition, and increasing labor cost,  are squeezing profit margins in China, esp. Shenzen.  Case study:  LED flashlights.   Two to four years ago, there were few competitors, QC was erratic, then more and more entrants and copyists.  The makers, like Nitecore, Jetbeam, Fenix, to name a few, that had real engineers survived the bloodbath and now command a premium.  The copyists came and went, and come and go, by the scores, even hundreds, often rebranding the same OEM product, sometimes changing ornamental elements.  The expansion of competitors and margin squeeze are now in full force in Shenzen tablets, and the real makers will survive.  Some early leaders are fading (e.g., Alldocube and Jumper) because they are not improving products across the product line like Chuwi and Teclast, or if they have new products, design or manufacturing defects aren’t detected before production. Sites like TT are the “feedback loop” that let the real makers know their engineering and QC are appreciated.  The brand shops focus on the mass market in China in which low price and high hype attract buyers.

Chupa
    Participant

Yeah, when you look at the Aliexpres “official Jumper store” page, they have lots of products, if you look closer you see everything is several times the same product. The usual n3450 flavors with SSD or EMMc as 13 or 14″ one very outdated I7 4500u from 2013 and and M 7Y30 what is 150$ more than the N3450. Nothing new even the Jumper2 with chery trail is still for sale. The “support” website is only in Chinese and just has all Jumper drivers in one download what does not work from outside China. There is no support and sellers like Gearbest just employ parrots what do a copy and past from websites and never answer the questions if you ask for detail. Worse with Aliexpress and Geekbuying is just a scam with first chap prices than they add 30 to 40 $ in shipping what will be also taxed in the EU. So a 250 Euro  item cost 290 incl shipping and DHL take 21% tax and 15 Euro handling so you end up with your 250 Euro item for over 350 Euro  since shipping cost will be taxed too.

Mahalo

Need Help?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password