Laggy Performance – Downgrade to 8.1?

Laggy Performance – Downgrade to 8.1?

TechTablets Forums Teclast Forums X98 Plus Discussion Laggy Performance – Downgrade to 8.1?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    COASTER19
    Participant

Hi!  I’m a little underwhelmed by the performance of the x98 plus.  All the animations lag despite being on the updated BIOS.  Anything more than the most basic of websites are unusable in edge.  I have an Onda v101w which has a baytrail z3735f in it and it runs buttery smooth, so I’d expect this to perform similarly (at least at a similar resolution).  I lowered the resolution to  800*600 and windows is still a choppy mess, so I’m not exactly sure what’s causing this.  Any ideas?

I also prefer windows 8.1 on tablets, and am considering trying a downgrade (hopefully improving performance).  I don’t know how possible that will be especially because of this thread on the Teclast forums.  I’m going to try when I get back home next week if  it doesn’t improve and will gladly report the details here.  Thanks!

Hualalai
    Participant

Definitely something wrong.  Could be malware.  I would reload a known clean copy of Windows and wipe what’s on the computer.  You should not need to enter a product key for Win 10 Home, but if you do, Google is your friend.

COASTER19
    Participant

A little update: Reinstalling the HD graphics driver from a different thread on the Teclast forums improved the performance a little, but it wasn’t as smooth as I was hoping for.  Dragging the mouse to select multiple desktop icons along with the start screen animation were still quite laggy, so I decided to try to install Windows 8.1.  I had some problems with the eMMC not being recognized by the installer at first, but they disappeared after I used the UEFI shell to start the installer.  8.1 runs about as well as 10 did for most things BUT I haven’t even installed the HD graphics driver yet!  Hardware buttons don’t work yet, there’s no sound, no brightness control, and no wifi, but hopefully I’ll be able to get them all working over the next few days.  I’ll report any developments here.

COASTER19
    Participant

After disabling driver signature verification I was able to get a few installed, but a majority of them gave errors and didn’t install.  I decided to try the drivers from another cherry trail tablet which had windows 8.1 drivers- the Surface 3.  Its drivers installed successfully, but unsurprisingly made the tablet unstable.  I can get to safe mode, but am unsure as of how to proceed at this point.  Assuming there are no alternatives, I’ll probably re-flash the windows 10 image from the Teclast website.  Didn’t the X98 Pro come with Windows 8.1 originally?  I can’t find any drivers for it but if I could I’d love to give them a shot.

Nikola
    Participant

Why didn’t trying a Windows 10 clean reinstallation and then an hard reset?

COASTER19
    Participant

I really don’t like how Windows 10 has implemented the tablet mode, so I would rather use 8.1 if at all possible.  I really like the charms bar and also feel that it is more fluid than 10.

Anonymous
    Inactive

It would be nice if you could drum up a nice Windows 8.1 image, I’m sure some other users might like to try it out.

I think you are beating a dead horse here, support from Teclast going forward will be Windows 10 only. My Plus runs smooth like butter. There is a new image posted here yesterday for a fully updated install. We are all dying to know if the drivers are updated. Will you be our tester??

COASTER19
    Participant

I downloaded the x98 plus image from this last night 😛   I’m getting nowhere with this 8.1 drivers thing so I’m going to install it tonight.  Hopefully it will improve the performance!

COASTER19
    Participant

Surprise! I got an extra half hour so I just installed that image.  As it was “applying image” it stopped on 84% for a while and then jumped to 100%, but appears to have installed successfully.  Setup runs upside-down, but rotation works once windows is set up.  It definitely runs A LOT more fluidly than it did before, but I still am not quite sure whether it is as fast as my Onda v101w.  I’ll need to mess with it more later tonight, as I have no idea whether it is doing stuff in the background.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Could you do a double driver backup of the same folders as have been posted in the downloads folder here and upload them to some site, google drive etc. If not, could you compare the driver dates of some of the major drivers, lan, wireless, Bluetooth, touch, video, SD card, sound, etc. to the drivers in the folder for the Plus posted here?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Windows 10 has major resource draws if you don’t take measures against it. I have just about every privacy option disabled. Also I found that after I disabled all the background apps battery life improved by 10%. Cortina…still running but disabled, hard to get rid of her completely…lol

COASTER19
    Participant

Did the double driver backup.  Haven’t connected the Teclast to the internet yet so nothing should have updated itself.  It is uploading, but I’m on some of the slowest wifi I’ve ever used right now so it probably won’t be done until the morning.  It’s a lot more smooth than it was before.  No idea if it will remain that way after updates.

COASTER19
    Participant

turns out there’s 500 kB/s up here even though there’s often less than 50 kB/s down… Here’s the link

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for the upload Coaster, but the file is encrypted. What is the secret code to the gold cavern? 🙂

COASTER19
    Participant
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar