Lapbook 14.1 won't boot

Lapbook 14.1 won't boot

TechTablets Forums Chuwi Forums Chuwi LapBook Series Lapbook 14.1 won't boot

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Zoen 2 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Fionn MacNamara
    Participant

So I received my Lapbook 14.1 yesterday, and everything was going great. Windows ran some updates, I installed a few programs, and I was really happy with the whole thing. I plugged it in and decided to run some benchmarks, so I downloaded the ‘PerformanceTest‘ software from cpubenchmark.net (PassMark).

It was running some of these tests slowly on and off, when I decided to run the graphics one. Next thing I know, the screen goes black and the laptop is completely non-responsive. There’s no way it could have overheated, as it wasn’t in use before I ran the test, and the test itself only got about 10-15 seconds in before the screen went black. I hold down the power button for ~10 seconds to do a hard reset and it eventually turns off and boots up again, showing the ‘Chuwi’ logo. However, it doesn’t move past that and sits on it for about 30 mins. I do another hard reset and it reboots normally and everything seems to be normal again.

A little concerned, but not thinking too much of it, I pop the laptop into my bag and bring it to the library. When I get there, nothing I can do will make the laptop boot, and the LED won’t even blink.

I’ve tried holding down the power button to reset, tried the press 3 times then hold, tried holding while charging and then unplugging the charger. Nothing was working so I left it charge for about 30 mins before packing up and leaving.

When I brought it home, I opened up the lid, pressed the power button and it booted! It got as far as the Windows login screen and suddenly it turned off again, and remained unresponsive.

It’s now the morning, and having charged for almost 10 hours, there’s still no response from it.
    Can anybody give me any suggestions? I’m really disappointed with this, since I’ve a ton of college work coming up and this is my primary computer. Any help is appreciated guys.

Edit: Also to note, when my phone is plugged into the right USB port and the laptop is on battery, nothing happens. However, if I plug the charger into the laptop, the phone will charge (so there’s power flowing through the laptop). The phone also charges as long as I’m holding down the power button, even when the laptop charger isn’t plugged in. I have no idea what this all means.

Sx C
    Participant

unfortunately there is nothing much you can do in this situation, for one you can open up the laptop to see if there are any loose wires; obvious short or foreign material, or maybe clone another 14.1’s emmc image into an m.2 and see if it will boot from that.

Honestly though the problem appears to be deeper than that, your best bet is to contact gearbest and see if they will accept an exchange

marrowmonkey
    Participant

If you can’t even enter BIOS (i.e. press escape a couple of times directly after powering on) then the problem is very likely a hardware problem. So as Sx C says you could try to get it replaced from gearbest (and) or open it and see if something is obviously wrong inside, loose wires etc… maybe try unplugging and reinserting connectors if there is a poor connection somewhere.

Phoenix
    Participant

Probably you heated your cpu. Chuwi has done a bad job for the terminals.. see the review video of chris. I am still waiting for my copper plate to put on my cpu.

Fionn MacNamara
    Participant

So it’s been a few days now and I’ve tried everything I can think of to get this working. I haven’t opened up the laptop because I don’t want them to have any kind of grounds to say something is my fault. I’ve sent an email to Gearbest explaining the whole situation, along with a video showing the non-responsive laptop.

Thanks for the responses guys. I’ll let ye know how I get on.

Fionn MacNamara
    Participant

<h3>Update</h3>
    Gearbest don’t have a solution for me and are offering a full refund or replacement so it’s most likely just completely dead.

Zoen
    Participant

I’m Having this exact same issue with my 14.1 from GearBest. The only thing I can think of is Chuwi’s engineering dept cut a few too many corners on the voltage regulation of the main board. I’m going through the refund process with Gearbest now, hopefully that goes smoothly.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password