Linux (debian) on cube i9

Linux (debian) on cube i9

TechTablets Forums Cube Forums Cube i9 Forum Linux (debian) on cube i9

Tagged: 

This topic contains 48 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 5 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 49 total)
  • Author

Tofe
    Participant

FYI, I disabled the rtl8xxxu driver on linux 4.6.3 and can now use the lwfinger driver without any issue.

I am on the latest Cube bios (V11), but not the optimized one, as the latter prevented the touchscreen to be detected by linux 4.6.3. It could also be an issue with the touchscreen firmware, which I didn’t update, but right now it doesn’t really matter. I’ll stick to bios V11 + kernel 4.6.3., which works well

Some issues left, regarding the use as a tablet:

– get rid of the touchpad edge gestures, both on Windows and Linux, because it’s really annoying.

– Multitouch touchscreen works with Gnome Shell 3.20, but for the touchscreen each app has to implement its own multitouch input management, so it means I don’t get the 2-fingers-scroll to work with Firefox or Terminal. I’m still hoping to find a solution…

– I can’t use the Grub boot menu with the Vol+/Vol- keys, which means I have to have the keyboard attached if I want to select another boot option. Maybe it’s just a shortcut to configure in Grub, I don’t know yet.

– Orientation change doesn’t work in Gnome Shell. Maybe it is detected (I’ll have a look in the iio-sensor-proxy logs), but it doesn’t trigger anything.

– Wayland Gnome Shell 3.20 works well… apart from the touchscreen, where it’s worse than with X. No-Go for the moment.

– Onscreen keyboard is a mess, as I already said before. I couldn’t yet find one that works for Firefox text inputs…

However, don’t get the wrong message: with the Cube keyboard, using Linux on the tablet is a quite smooth experience!

Tofe
    Participant

I solved the accelerometer issue: there was a little fix to do in the kernel’s driver, and in iio-sensor-proxy as well.

For the kernel, the issue is that the kxcj9 driver doesn’t recognise the  hardware because its ACPI id is not what is expected. Adding “KIOX000A” in its list solves that. (here: https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/61e2c70da9cfc79e8485eafa0f98b5919b04bbe1/drivers/iio/accel/kxcjk-1013.c#L1429 ). I’ve proposed a patch to the kernel, but it certainly won’t make it before 4.8.

Then, there is also a patch to apply to iio-sensor-proxy, because the latter has some hard-coded values for the id of the accelerometer. I have also proposed them a patch to fix that.

Here is the patched 4.6.3 driver module, to replace the current one: https://mega.nz/#!XkNBwBCS!lksG121CdmPzFdHPidUYArnGi9z0ApEZj9veY5qgNBQ

And here is a .deb package for the patched iio-sensor-proxy package:  https://mega.nz/#!WskDiBjD!ZmpjHcKkum6hcVuXKsx1mcJJM4f1enU0vr_Ws5c-OSw

darksnoopy
    Participant

I solved the accelerometer issue: there was a little fix to do in the kernel’s driver, and in iio-sensor-proxy as well. For the kernel, the issue is that the kxcj9 driver doesn’t recognise the hardware because its ACPI id is not what is expected. Adding “KIOX000A” in its list solves that. (here: https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/61e2c70da9cfc79e8485eafa0f98b5919b04bbe1/drivers/iio/accel/kxcjk-1013.c#L1429 ). I’ve proposed a patch to the kernel, but it certainly won’t make it before 4.8. Then, there is also a patch to apply to iio-sensor-proxy, because the latter has some hard-coded values for the id of the accelerometer. I have also proposed them a patch to fix that.

Thats good to know. Have you tried to install MacOS X on the tablet ? I ve seen it run smoothly on cube i7 (except wi-fi and card reader). The i9 GPU is supported but i dont know if the digitizer is going to work

Tofe
    Participant

I have no idea about how MacOS X would work, I’m 100% Linux user 🙂

darksnoopy
    Participant

I have no idea about how MacOS X would work, I’m 100% Linux user ?

Ah ok then! I am still digging this, trying to find info about zorinOS,ubuntu touch, native android and remixOS on the i9

Tofe
    Participant

For the edge swipes of the touchpad, I’ve found a workaround in Gnome Shell: just unmap the corresponding keyboard shortcuts (in my case, mainly Win+d to show the desktop for the top edge).
    The touchpad edge swipes are directly sent as a keyboard event to the system, as if it was done with the keyboard, so it’s not possible to filter out just the touchpad, unfortunately. I guess it’s the same for Windows 10.

darksnoopy
    Participant

For the edge swipes of the touchpad, I’ve found a workaround in Gnome Shell: just unmap the corresponding keyboard shortcuts (in my case, mainly Win+d to show the desktop for the top edge). The touchpad edge swipes are directly sent as a keyboard event to the system, as if it was done with the keyboard, so it’s not possible to filter out just the touchpad, unfortunately. I guess it’s the same for Windows 10.

So completely disabling the touchpad would be solution #2 :-/ Does Screen multitouch work with linux? For example scrolling down a site with two fingers?

Tofe
    Participant

Unfortunately, touchscreen events are handled per-app. So gnome-shell multitouch gestures work well, but I still can’t scroll with two fingers in Terminal or Firefox.
    I do find it quite absurd, because such gestures work flawlessly with the touchpad, and everywhere…

rohtang
    Participant

Unfortunately, touchscreen events are handled per-app. So gnome-shell multitouch gestures work well, but I still can’t scroll with two fingers in Terminal or Firefox. I do find it quite absurd, because such gestures work flawlessly with the touchpad, and everywhere…

FWIW, Chrome/Chromium works with multitouch. I wish there was 1)  a uniform way of handling multitouch inputdev and 2) window managers embedding proper support for multitouch.

rohtang
    Participant

For the edge swipes of the touchpad, I’ve found a workaround in Gnome Shell: just unmap the corresponding keyboard shortcuts (in my case, mainly Win+d to show the desktop for the top edge). The touchpad edge swipes are directly sent as a keyboard event to the system, as if it was done with the keyboard, so it’s not possible to filter out just the touchpad, unfortunately. I guess it’s the same for Windows 10.

I guess one could write a patch for the driver to just swallow the edge events, I’ll look in to it once my vacation starts.

Also, nice find on the sensor, now I can finally write that auto-rotate daemon.

Tofe
    Participant

Yes… I’ve had a look at ginn and touchegg, which do a job similar to the touchpad (i.e. they translate complex touch events into simple ones, like a wheel scroll), but I couldn’t have them working on gnome-shell. Probably some bug in geist, as they don’t seem to be actively maintained. Or it could be something simple to fix.

Tofe
    Participant

I just solved the onscreen keyboard:
    – some caribou related packages were not installed (caribou, libcaribou-gtk-module, libcaribou-gtk3-module), so actually there was no detection of the focus changes.
    – installing the “show/hide” onscreen keyboard extension completes some borderline scenario, like exiting a fullscreen comics viewer.

Tofe
    Participant

FYI, I now have ginn working; the trick is simply to start it before gnome-shell itself, because they are conflicting.
    I now have decent two-fingers scrolling, but I lost the gnome-shell specific gestures; maybe I’ll be able to recover them using ginn, but it’s not a big issue anyway.

Carlos Sárria
    Participant

Can you guys use the câmeras? Everything is excelent in Ubuntu with i9 except the câmeras that Ubuntu does not detect.

Tofe
    Participant

Can you guys use the câmeras? Everything is excelent in Ubuntu with i9 except the câmeras that Ubuntu does not detect.

No, I don’t use them, I just now realize that I never actually tested it 🙂 It doesn’t work on my side either. The cameras are a OV2680 (should be front) and a OV5648 (should be rear), and maybe there is a driver for Linux, but I didn’t have a look.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password