Mi Notebook Pro low battery life

Mi Notebook Pro low battery life

TechTablets Forums Xiaomi Discussion Mi Notebook Air series Mi Notebook Pro low battery life

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  airbites 3 weeks, 5 days ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Viktor Smirov
    Participant

Hi, I have a problem with my Mi Notebook Pro battery life.

I will first give you an overview of my machine.  I got the i5/256 GB/8 GB RAM version, I added 500 GB SSD WD BLUE. I installed all the drivers (except dGPU and WD BLUE, these I have the newest ones) from the link posted here in the downloads page (from xiaomi website). I installed new Windows 10 using Windows Media Creation tool. I’m running BIOS 0200 (I’m planning to upgrade to 0401). I also updated iGPU drivers manually to the newest ones. I’m using Intel XTU to limit my CPUs TDP and voltage. When plugged in and gaming I don’t go over 10 watts.

When unplugged I limit it to 6W and always set my battery option in Windows to “battery saver”. As I read/seen a lot of reviews, I expected at last 6 hours and I choose this laptop because it could get me through the day without the need to charge it (I’m a student). No matter how I try (battery saver on, lowered TDP, screen brightness at 10%, all apps killed except Word) it cannot last more than 4 hours. Even when I just let it sit doing nothing it still (at full charge) writes “4 hours remaining”. I run the Windows battery report and it says that the battery is OK (58wh out of 60wh). I haven’t done a lot of cycles, as I most of the time keep it plugged in (in dorms and at home).

I don’t know if there are newer drivers, so if you know, please write em here. Also, I bought ZMI Powerbank from Aliexpress (50$) as it is one of the few that can power this notebook. Do any of you have also this problem? How do long do you manage to go on battery?

Chris G
    Keymaster

HI, I run the original Windows 10 image and drivers (I updated to Pro and installed English) I can get about 7-8 hours tops with low screen brightness. Some claim 10 hours battery life. But that would be just looping 720p video on low brightness I think. hardly real life use.

I’ve seen this a few times that new installations can hurt the battery life, no idea why my guess is drivers and power saving settings the MFG had in place.

A resent example, my Teclast F5. The stock factory install I could do 5 hours, now I cannot even get 4 hours or only just going super easy on the battery. Really annoying.

Also the extra SSD will also drain a little battery, but you should be able to get a lot more.

Another thing I thought of is the Wireless signal strength. Is it good all the time or low? I’ve seen the battery drop really fast with poor coverage on the tech I review.

Chris | Admin
    Please support us and help keep TechTablets online. Affiliate revenue is used to pay for the server, studio apartment (Techtablets HQ) and buy new tech to review. Without it, this site would be dead.
    Next up for review:
    Ordered and waiting for my: ONE-NETBOOK One Mix 2S & AllDoCube X
    Currently testing: Chuwi Hi9 Plus + Keyboard, Mi Mix 3

Viktor Smirov
    Participant

Hi, thanks for the response.

I will try it but I don’t know where can I get the original image? I hope it will keep all my files so I don’t have to install everything again. Also, my wireless signal was Ok, almost full most of the time. Next time I will try to disable WIFI.

Nikos
    Participant

I can confirm the poor battery life on the Xiaomi Mi Notebook Pro. I have the i7 version and I can hardly get over 4-4.5 hours at 40% screen brightness just browsing the net. Definitely nowhere near 8-10 hours as seen in many reviews and claimed by Xiaomi.

Btw I also did a clean install of Windows but had all updates through Windows Update and everything seems to be working fine, except the battery. Any thoughts or solutions will be appreciated.

Off topic: Great laptop overall but I wish it didnt have the common problem with the rattling fan noise, I had to completely remove the right fan because it was really annoying. The temperatures are still excellent even with one fan.

Viktor Smirov
    Participant

Am I blind or is there no Windows 10 image here: https://techtablets.com/xiaomi-mi-notebook-pro/downloads/ ? Can you please point to where to download it? Also, I’m not sure if I’m going to be able to instal it properly (I did it using Windows Media Creation tool last time) so if you know a trusted guide it would help a lot.

Chris G
    Keymaster

There is no image and I’ve not found one either. Maybe on Mi.com?

@kougi Clearly seems the factory image is much easier on the battery. Got 6 hours on Friday and I wasn’t taking it easy on the battery without 8 tabs open in Chrome. On 5Ghz wifi and very good signal mind you.

Chris | Admin
    Please support us and help keep TechTablets online. Affiliate revenue is used to pay for the server, studio apartment (Techtablets HQ) and buy new tech to review. Without it, this site would be dead.
    Next up for review:
    Ordered and waiting for my: ONE-NETBOOK One Mix 2S & AllDoCube X
    Currently testing: Chuwi Hi9 Plus + Keyboard, Mi Mix 3

Ray Dollars
    Participant

My Notebook Pro i5 8250, with clean Win 10 Pro install and all latest drivers from Windows update will only get 4 hours battery life. That’s real world use, screen at 60%, web browsing, Groove music and a bit of word processing. A bit disappointing from an otherwise great laptop.

I can only conclude that Xiaomi must have optimized their own Windows image to conserve battery life.

airbites
    Participant

Do not install drivers from windows update because they are low performance.

Ray Dollars
    Participant

Do not install drivers from windows update because they are low performance.

A bit late for me, I wiped the machine and did a fresh windows 10 install. Out of interest which drivers could be causing the reduced battery life? …and can I manually install them and recover some extra battery life?

airbites
    Participant

Hmm … what version of windows 10 did I install? 1806?

Download the driver booster program in the portable version. And before you update the drivers in this program, check the exact version, date and manufacturer because sometimes they may be wrong and may damage your system or hardware. As if this is what put a screen shot here.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password