My experiences with EZBook 3 pro v5

My experiences with EZBook 3 pro v5

TechTablets Forums Jumper Discussion EZBook series My experiences with EZBook 3 pro v5

This topic contains 28 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by  Stefan 1 year, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author

Ádám Bozzay
    Participant

My EZBook arrived 4 days ago, and there’re a lot of problems with it. In this thread I’ll share my experiences with you, and update the thread when I discover something new.
    1. Flickering screen and noise: At low brightness (lowest 2 positions) the screen has a noticeable flickering, and a quite audible high pitch noise, it reminds me to the noise of an HDD when the reading head is moving, just higher. The flickering is not always there, for example as I write this, I see no flickering right now. But I think I’m getting used to it, so maybe I’m not noticing it as easily, however I’m sure if there’s some flickering, it will cause me a headache eventually, even if I’m not noticing it. And even when the screen is fine (for example at higher brightness) the high pitch noise is still there, just somewhat different and a little quieter. For me, the noise is more irritating, than the flickering. Here’s the noise: https://youtu.be/FmjFKHf5IgI.

2. WiFi compatibility issues: I have a TP-link TL-WR1043N v1 router for quite some time, it was used by around 15 laptops and PC-s, and around 30 different mobile phones. None of them had any problem with it, not a single one. The Jumper’s wifi chip is the first one, which is not compatible with it. It keeps disconnecting, not usable at all. It works fine connected to my Android Hotspot, but I haven’t tested it with anything else yet. Still, I’m pretty sure that this is a compatibility issue, because the WiFi chip is not working with my TP-link router, but working with the Android Hotspot. I will test it with other routers in the future. Also, with external USB WiFi adapter, it works fine with the router. (I note, that I did check the antenna connection on the motherboard, no visible problems there.)

3: BIOS functionality lacking: This version has the “EVALUATION COPY” BIOS, which lacks almost every functionality. I want to unlock the TDP limit, but now the easy way is gone. I’m looking for your BIOS changing experiences, maybe I’ll update it to a more usable one. Also I should note, that I didn’t check, but others have problems with the boot order, and booting form the USB. I’m planning to install Linux on this laptop, and install M.2 SSD, so it will be a problem for me.

4: Microphone low volume: The built in stereo mic has a really low volume. It’s not a direct problem, because Skype and other softwares can handle it, and amplify it by software. But this causes terrible audio quality. So you either lean close to the mics and shout, or sounds terrible.

5: Backlight leaking: Every Jumper owner knows about the backlight leaking, but it’s a matter of luck how heavy the leaking is. In my case, it’s pretty bad, but I’ve seen worse.

6: Slow EMMC: The EZBook 3 Pro v5 has a SanDisk SDW64G EMMC drive, and I’m not happy with it. I don’t have any experience with SSD so far, but I think that the system should be faster and more flowless. CrystalDiskInfo did not recognised the disk, strange. But I managed to test it with AS SSD Benchmark. See the attachment. I don’t know if it’s good or bad, but in reality it’s not enough. But I’m planning to install an M.2 SSD anyway.

Positives: The keyboard is fine so far. It could be just a little more sensitive, but I’ll get used to it. The touchpad is the best I’ve ever tried, the gestures works around 95% of the time. Could be better, but it’s still the best, I’ve tried. The FN+F6 PrtSc button works as it should. There are a lot more positives, but these are the ones that get better in the v5.

Minor issues: The audio and the charger jack is the same diameter, and not marked, so you don’t know which is which. I did plug the charger to the audio jack once. The power-on status led is always on, it’s annoying at night, and it’s on in sleep mode too. The micro sd card slot is not deep enough, the card sticks out a millimeter. The FN key is detected by the motherboard at low level, so the operating system can’t see it: you can’t make your own FN shortcuts. Chris said in his video, that the USB and the jack should be farther apart, and I didn’t believe it’s a problem, but it is: I couldn’t use my external WiFi adapter, the charger, and a headphone at the same time. One of the screws at the bottom is covered with a warranty-void label, well I guess I have no warranty now.

Ps: Is it possible that the high pitch noise is not coming from the screen driver? I think that it might relate to the CPU usage. At least a part of it.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Gianfranco
    Participant

Hi Adam, I bought this Jumper too and received it 2 days ago. The flickering isn’t something particularly annoying, at least to me, I can cover it easily whith keyboard taps or, at most, using the touchpad. I’m really disappointed with the Ac Wifi, it has a range smaller than I expected. It cannot reach my Tp-Link router when my android tablet with wifi N can. Really satisfied with the emmc Sandisk, I didn’t expect that speed(no big deal anyway). Now honestly, all this defects are kinda acceptable if you look at the price the jumper is sold(190 $ for me). It’s obvious that compromises show up at this price. What really pi** me off is the lack of transparency by Jumper. You can’t sell me your product with ssd slot but then deleting from bios the basic settings for the correct functioning of it. I tried everything:  clean install of Windows on ssd, cloning ssd from emmc…I also tried to benchmark the ssd, but without the sata setting on bios, CrystalDiskMark and UserBenchmark are not able to recognize the ssd. This is ridiculous, and a lot of people are stucked on this problem just like me. I really hope that Jumper releases a guide and a new bios to flash(and at my own risk). In this current state, I wasted 60 $ for a useless ssd.

Chris G
    Keymaster

Thanks for the post sounds like Jumper is messing up the V5. Why did they have to change it? I’m typing this on my V4 and it’s great. Unlocked bios too.

Chris | Admin
    Please support us and help keep TechTablets online. Affiliate revenue is used to pay for the server, studio apartment (Techtablets HQ) and buy new tech to review. Without it, this site would be dead.
    Next up for review:
    Ordered and waiting for my: Teclast X6 Pro, X4 and UMIDIGI S3 Pro
    Currently testing: FIMI X8 SE 4k drone, Chuwi Lapbook Pro & 2 x Lenovo laptops 🙂

Kenneth
    Participant

Thanks for the post sounds like Jumper is messing up the V5. Why did they have to change it? I’m typing this on my V4 and it’s great. Unlocked bios too.

I reckon they’re constantly trying to improve their product from the feedback they get but I guess their R&D dept isn’t that matured yet. Either that or they’re trying too hard to please everyone, and we all know that’s never going to happen. Gotta give them points for trying though. But you’re right, if it isn’t broken don’t fix it. Mine’s great too and it’s got the Sandisk DF4064 (yay!). Then the had to go and lock the lock the damn bios…:(

Kenneth
    Participant

Adam,

Hmm… Not sure if mine’s the V5 but I received it about a week ago. I bought it from Geekbuying which states on their site it’s a V4. BIOS is Jumper10x.P8.WP3132.NHNAUHL01, dated 5 DEC 17 and it’s got a SanDisk DF4064. Not too sure if it’s the “evaluation copy” bios as I didn’t notice it anywhere but it’s the locked version without options. As for the other problems My screen isn’t flickering, no backlight bleed (if there’s any either I didn’t notice it or it’s very minor), I didn’t hear any noise and Wifi connection is actually pretty good. But you’re right about the speakers though, they’re terrible. Maybe you got a lemon?

Gianfranco,

So far I’ve installed a SSD and done a clean windows installation using an installation disk. It boots from the SSD just fine. One thing I did during windows installation though, I selected custom install and deleted all the partitions in the eMMC and SSD, left it unallocated then clean installed windows on the SSD. That way windows automatically created the EFI and Recovery partitions on the SSD.

Hope this helps?

Furkan
    Participant

I too am v5 owner.  Agree with you about flickering it is there and noticable. Thats why i never go down to lowest brightness. Other than that no light bleed observed. Yes bios locked but if you test it your computer has a 9W limit not old 6W. I was trying to do sofrware limit and when i check i realised that v5 has 9W limit so put it up to 10 makes not much difference so i leave it as is. Other than that i dont experiencing any issues with my device so far and i am glad to have it.

John Smith
    Participant

Hi to all!

I received my second EzBook, first was V4 with Samsung EMMC.

Well as the others, it has locked BIOS, flickering problem and that noise too.

What I did.

1. Replaced BIOS for the unlocked. Instructions are here in the Forum, from a guy, who flased EZBook BIOS to YEPO. Use the files from his Google drive (jumper.rom was ok for me). BUT!!!! Do this at own risk!!!! You can easy brick the laptop, then only programmer helps to recover it. Do a BIOS dump before flashing and save the BIOS file to an USB stick.
    2. The speed of Sandsik EMMC is ok, a bit slower than Samsung, but no problem. Crystal works for testing.
    3. The biggest problem is SSD. First tested with Sandisk (older one 128GB from DELL). Faced same problems, like others in the forum, read speeds was arond 1MBB/s!!! Ok, no problem changed to LiteONIT LJT-128L6G-11 (DELL too). Speeds was fine 500/400, but after Macrium clone, Windows won’t boot from SSD. Solution: used Fernando’s pathced Intel AHCI drivers (link is here somwhere in the forum). Boot from EMMC, then apply Intel driver, then clone EMMC to SSD. Success, but speed is about 280/250. I gave up and accepted that. Only problem, that SSD not recognised sometimes in the BIOS. I starting to use BIOS setting from a guy, who had teh same problem. Post is here too in the forum with BIOS screenshots. After that my SSD recognised 100% (until that).
    4. Linux. Ubuntu 17.10 is working, no problem just use isorespin and rEFInd 0.11.0. Touchpad is ok with the lates 4.15.rc7 kernel, use UKUU to install.
    5. Display is terrible, light problem, but i have no bad pixels but 2 gray spots instead. LOL!!! Display is LM133LF1L01 from a company named Panda (anybody heard about that company). Very very low end. Do not use under 15-20% of brighness to avoid flickers.
    6. Some positive: LED goes green, when battery is fully charged (my V4 stays red)

Well guys thats all, some problems solved some accepted. Regarding the price, it is an acceptable Netbook. Sorry to not post links, i was too lazy, but all solutions are here in the topics.

Luca
    Participant

V5 seems to be the best as far as I understand…
    Jumper is listening very carefully to what customers comment. And fixing issues / improving things at any new revision of the EZBook 3.
    Screen, keyboard, touchpad, wi-fi they all work very well on my 3 Pro.

I also have the flickering but only at lowest brightness which is anyway too low, so I use it at 50% on battery and 75% on power supply. Not a significant issue for me.
    I don’t hear any noise, this computer is super quiet compared to fan-cooled ones or traditional HardDisk.
    System is quite stable and fast as it is (compared to previous version) as it has a quick eMMC and the power limitation set to 9W.
    I believe jumper, through improvements, is trying to avoid users to play with Bios and power / reliability constraints, so that’s why castrated Bios.

With a quick enough and reliable system the only thing left you’d need is the storage expansion via SSD (is the boot from SSD really necessary on V5??).
    So far, I’m quite happy with V5 as it is. Even if yes, I’d like to try to boot windows from the SSD as soon as I’ll get one. …but I know I’ll take some risk while doing that on V5…

Cheers and have a nice weekend!

Peter
    Participant

I received mine a couple of days ago, Manufactured 011117 so I guess V4, but I don’t know the difference. No evaluation copy, my bios is datet 110717 and locked.

I don’t have any of your problems at all. Got slower speeds than you on my eMMC Sandisk SDW64G but still fast. Installed a Crucial 275Gb ssd without problem. Tried to delete all partitions as David did but still left me a couple parts i can’t delete.

I still haven’t installed the backed up drivers but everything is working so I guess I don’t need to.

Gianfranco
    Participant

Good to see users that have no complaints about ssd. That really makes me hope for a solution. @Kenneth, can i ask you what ssd have you on your Jumper? I have a KingDian N480 240 GB 22×80, like @mehtevas that is on the same annoying situation. I did a clean install on ssd (in the way Adam suggests) and tried to boot the system typing the F7 button(it shows me the bootable devices) and choosing “Windows manager (kingdian 240 gb)”. So you may think that the bios recognize the ssd, but it happens just when the usb bootable device is connected(if it’s not, there are no Windows manager options). Anyway if I chose the Windows manager the system doesn’t boot and when it does a blue screen appears reporting an error (0x00000185) suggesting me that Windows iso is corrupted. Then I installed Windows on the Emmc with the same usb pen without error and a lot of times. Now what I understand with yours experiences is that: there are some ssd drives that don’t need the full bios unlocked but it’s sure some others ssd need it for their perfect functioning. Now I can use ssd only for normal storage but it sounds like something’s missing(can’t benchmark it)and you understand this is not the final purpose i had on buying this ssd.

John Smith
    Participant

Hi!

SSD is like lottery, maybe it is ok, maybe not at all. My V4 has Sandisk SD6SN1M-128G, works like charm, only the 185MB/s write speed is the problem (read is around 500), but it is int the SSD specification, so not Jumper’s problem. My second (V5) Jumper has this LiteONIT as I posted, r/w not with full speed and needs Fernando’s patched Intel driver. I suggest use SSD whitch reported OK by other users. Otherwise u may face problems.

Ádám Bozzay
    Participant

Thank you for your answers. I need this laptop to work flawlessly, because I bought it to be my primary laptop. So I’ll definitely try the SSD install, for the additional speed. I’m planning to keep the factory Windows on the EMMC, and install Linux on the SSD. With the v5 it seems almost impossible. As I understand this laptop has UEFI, EMMC and limited bios, and these combinations makes it really hard to do what I planned. But I’ll try.

I haven’t noticed any flickering in the past 1-2 days. Maybe I don’t see it anymore (I doubt it), or is it gone for now. I use the lowest brightness all day, I’m used to it. I use my desktop PC and my old Laptop like this, too. So if there’s flickering, it’s a huge problem for me.

I didn’t realized that the TDP was modified, but yes, I’ve seen 8.xW consumption in BatteryBar. At idling it’s 3.8W. It would be nice to go even higher, I bought some copper sheets and thermal conducting silicone, so overheating wouldn’t be a problem.

Finally John Smith said above, that his charging status led goes to green when finished. Mine just goes off when finised. But I think the charging circuit works fine, when the laptop is fully charged, it seems, that it uses the charger only to power the laptop, and leaves the battery alone. So it shouldn’t be a problem to leave the laptop on charger and use it like that.

John Smith
    Participant

Windows and Linux on the same SSD is possible with correct SSD. Just need to find the right one 🙂 LiteONIT is ok, if you accept the limited speed or use Sandisk SD6SN1M, 128G version has around 180MB/s write and 256G has about 380MB/s (Specification). This SSD is ok, u can buy it around 20000HUF (256G) or 10000HUF (128G) in Hungary. Both are 2280, so you need to open the cover to install it. See some posts in the forum regarding that.

Kenneth
    Participant

Good to see users that have no complaints about ssd. That really makes me hope for a solution. @kenneth, can i ask you what ssd have you on your Jumper? I have a KingDian N480 240 GB 22×80, like @mehtevas that is on the same annoying situation. I did a clean install on ssd (in the way Adam suggests) and tried to boot the system typing the F7 button(it shows me the bootable devices) and choosing “Windows manager (kingdian 240 gb)”. So you may think that the bios recognize the ssd, but it happens just when the usb bootable device is connected(if it’s not, there are no Windows manager options). Anyway if I chose the Windows manager the system doesn’t boot and when it does a blue screen appears reporting an error (0x00000185) suggesting me that Windows iso is corrupted. Then I installed Windows on the Emmc with the same usb pen without error and a lot of times. Now what I understand with yours experiences is that: there are some ssd drives that don’t need the full bios unlocked but it’s sure some others ssd need it for their perfect functioning. Now I can use ssd only for normal storage but it sounds like something’s missing(can’t benchmark it)and you understand this is not the final purpose i had on buying this ssd.

Gianfranco,

I’m using the KingSpec 256GB 2242 SSD. Bought it on Aliexpress from this seller.

Mehtevas
    Participant

I’ve the same flickering screen and noise at low brightness, BIOS locked etc. V5 works good for that price, but It could be better.

@gianfranco , The king dian still doesn’t work with the ezbook. I will buy the kingspec soon. @Kenneth How does aliexpress work?import taxes?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password