My solution to a stable SD card

My solution to a stable SD card

TechTablets Forums Cube Forums Cube iWork10 Ultimate My solution to a stable SD card

This topic contains 23 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Jim 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author

Siu Lay
    Participant

I am not sure will this works 100% but mine seems to be stable for the last 48 hrs. You need a sperate PC with some partition management tool install to get this to works.

1. Any micro sd with higher than 70MB/s read and 20MB/s write will not works. I use a Patriot 128G, and it seems to be ok.
    2. Create 2 partitions. 1 FAT32 and the other one ext3. Put the FAT32 at the front follow with the ext3. The ext3 can’t be larger than 7G, and Link2SD uses it in Android. All other FS means unstable sd card independent of speed.
    3. Both need to be primary and make sure you assign a drive letter to the FAT32. If you don’t, it will mess up once you get into Andriod.
    4. Put the card into iWork10 and power up into Windows 10,
    5. Test the card in Windows for a while and make sure you don’t get any disconnect. If everything checks out then turn on the SD card write caching. Reset and make sure window still handle the card fine.
    6. Boot into android and install link2sd, create a mount script to the ext3.

The card should work fine after this point (at least no disconnect problem for me in the last 48 hrs+). I still would not recommend you to link any primary Android app to the SD card until you test it out for a while.

J
    Participant

My SD card works fine in Android. I also use a second partition for link2SD (but I use ext4). The SD card I use is “<span class=”s1″>SanDisk Ultra Android 128 GB MicroSDXC Class 10 Memory Card and SD Adapter up to 80 Mbps”. Its been working for over 48 hours. I need to test windows next, which is where I’ve previously had SD card problems.</span>

Siu Lay
    Participant

I started with a SanDisk but it keeps on disconnecting randomly in both Win and Android. Glad that SanDisk works out for you.

I start to think Cube just build the tablet using whatever cheapest parts they can get their hands on during production. So the spec. will be slightly different between batch.

J
    Participant

Yeah, I think their quality control is extremely poor also, which is another reason why a lot of people seem to be having different experiences

Hans Sprungfeld
    Participant

t

1. why ext3 and not ext4?

2. why a 2nd ext3/4 partition next to the fat32… then you could also use NTFS or extFS instead of fat32 anyway if you don’t care about sharing the same files on one partition for both Android and Windows, like music, pictures or videos

3. of course there is a drive letter assigned, otherwise it wouldn’t be mounted…

4. how would this solve the issue, that if you boot from Android to Windows, the drive is missing and you need to remove it and put it back in… it doesn’t matter if you have 2 partitions or 1 then

5. mine is a normal UHS-I it has 90/20 speed, it’s a Samsung EVO Plus, and it’s still having issues missing sometimes

6. the problem could actually be, that fat32 normally just allows up to 32gb partitions under Windows. maybe that can trigger problems, if you have a 64 or 128gb card and format a single fat32 partition with an extra tool

George Anas
    Participant

Hi, I haven’t yet tried the solution given here but I would like to ask if someone has an idea of what could be happening in my case.

I have a Netac P500 64GB, supposedly SD-XC 1 U3 30/80mbps.

From the beginning I formatted it as FAT32. It was working great in Windows but in Android it was connecting and disconnecting for some time. Then it stopped doing that and I was able to save things in the sd and read them in both OS. When I use the tablet it stays for long periods in the one OS until I switch it to the other one and then it stays there for some period, like a week or so.

Now the problem is that it works fine in Android and in Windows it does not work at all. It does not even play the sound when inserting/exporting the sd, it is like it is not detected at all. I inserted the sd from my mobile, a Kingston 32GB Class 10, and it plays the sound for inserting/exporting but it doesn’t read it or appear in the Device Manager under Disk Drives.

Does any of you have any idea?

Hans Sprungfeld
    Participant

Yes normal. The sd card slot is damaged or bios has wrong settings for it I guess. Mine for example just got damaged and all folders were gone from one day to the other and all data lost.

George Anas
    Participant

In my case neither the sd (I can read it normally from other devices) nor the tablet’s card reader is damaged (it works fine with Android). It looks more like a driver issue in Windows…

When on Windows side, the 64GB sd does not appear anywhere, the 32GB does the sound for mounting/unmounting and it appeared once in the drives when I disabled/re-enebled the driver of “storage cotroller” in device manager. But all the other time the 32GB only does the sounds and appears with the yellow triangle under “storage cotroller” in device manager.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

J
    Participant

Try adding a second partition to the SD card. No idea why this should work, it makes no sense at all, but since I did this everything works fine. (I use a 128GB SD, with 112GB FAT32 and 16GB ext4 for link2sd)

Hans Sprungfeld
    Participant

16GB e

Nope, it’s nonsense. The sd card gets damaged or not show up even if you just create 1 NTFS or exFAT partition and Android can’t even see it.

J
    Participant

yeah dont use exfat or NTFS  or android wont support it probably. Just use FAT32

Hans Sprungfeld
    Participant

yeah dont use exfat or NTFS or android wont support it probably. Just use FAT32

no …o_O you don’t understand. I said, use NTFS or exFAT BECAUSE THEN Android wont do any change to the partition => AND IT STILL WILL BECOME NOT WORKING ANYMORE UNDER WINDOWS => ergo, it’s obsolote, to put two partitions on it => ergo, there is a hardware issue with the slot itself. You can watch the problem for example here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Vb7WQ8Nnx4 (not mine btw). It’s just a matter of luck/time.

My bed is, the sdslot has wrong current/voltage or wrong frequency, maybe a wrong bios setting.

Siu Lay
    Participant

1. why ext3 and not ext4?
    Because ext4 is not stable on mine. It will keep on disconnecting in Android.

2. why a 2nd ext3/4 partition next to the fat32… then you could also use NTFS or extFS instead of fat32 anyway if you don’t care about sharing the same files on one partition for both Android and Windows, like music, pictures or videos
    I use link2SD to move android stuff to SD. If I put the ext3 fs in front of fat32, the iWork10 windows half will not read the fat32

3. of course there is a drive letter assigned, otherwise it wouldn’t be mounted…
    No that is the problem. The stupid iWork10 will try to mount the ext3 as a storage and fail.

4. how would this solve the issue, that if you boot from Android to Windows, the drive is missing and you need to remove it and put it back in… it doesn’t matter if you have 2 partitions or 1 then
    No. it won’t you have 2P. Windows will ignore the ext3 and you wont loose the drive.

5. mine is a normal UHS-I it has 90/20 speed, it’s a Samsung EVO Plus, and it’s still having issues missing sometimes
    I start to think it is a heat related issues (poor quality sd card reader? I can duplicate the lost 100% by warming that part of the case with a hair dryer.

6. the problem could actually be, that fat32 normally just allows up to 32gb partitions under Windows. maybe that can trigger problems, if you have a 64 or 128gb card and format a single fat32 partition with an extra tool
    I always use external tool to format the card and never run into probelm except of this piece of crap

T
    Participant

Hi,

My problems is that at first the tablet worked fine whit a 64Gb sd, then two week later it stopped working, but only in W10. One day or two later not even in android worked. In windows i can ear the sound of the insertion but dont recognice it anymore. In Android the system know i have a sd (the card icon is displayed in the left uppercorner) but i cant access the sd. The options related to the sd are greyed out. The only thing i can do is safe expulsion. I tried whit another 32Gb card but in windows is completely unstable. In Android i have the same problem as whit the 64gb one. Is driving me crazy how something so basic in a tablet like the SD controler is done in so poor manner. The tablet is very good but this is a big problem.

Sorry for my broken english.

Siu Lay
    Participant

I start to think the problem is H/W related. Most likely they use some very low-quality cheap sd card connector.
    They use sub-standard everything (RAM, storage, connectors … etc.) and for what? saving $10 USD per unit?

‘To kill the Goose That Laid the Golden Eggs’?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password