Onbook 11 Pro / Xiaoma 11 SSD Install

Onbook 11 Pro / Xiaoma 11 SSD Install

TechTablets Forums Onda Forums oBook Series Onbook 11 Pro / Xiaoma 11 SSD Install

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Onda advertises SSD support for Onbook 11 Pro / Xiaoma 11 models.  Has anybody taken apart these tablets to install a drive?  Is it M2? NVME?  There don’t seem to be any visible screws on the case, so I’m curious how to correctly take things apart.

Chris G
    Keymaster

You will have to use a plastic pry tool or guitar pick to pry open the front from the rear. I have not reviewed this one (yet) but that;s how it’s done. As for the SSD spec, all the Apollo Lakes use SATA3 drivers and 22 x 42mm size.

How is the tablet? Can you give us some photos of it? Core M3-7Y30 right? Previous gen Onda gear was horrible so I stopped reviewing their tablets, but if it’s decent I may get it. The Xiaoma 41 notebook was good after all.

Chris | Admin
    Please support us and help keep TechTablets online. Affiliate revenue is used to pay for the server, studio apartment (Techtablets HQ) and buy new tech to review. Without it, this site would be dead.
    Next up for review:
    Ordered and waiting for my: BMAX S15 & Teclast F6 Plus
    Currently testing: LG G8X & Redmi K30

James
    Participant

There are 2 screw at the bottom of the tablet next to the docking connectors. Not sure of their exact size but the small screwdriver I that came with my SSD fits perfectly. Then You just got to pry it open like Chris said, didn’t have too much trouble.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I was concerned that the screen was glued to the chassis in the way that the surface pro was, and didn’t want to risk cracking a brand new tablet.

Do you have any pictures, James?  Does the whole front screen just come straight up off the back of the chassis, or does it peel up like a hinge?  Are there many snaps?  Ribbon cables?

James
    Participant

Yes the entire screen and logic board come straight off without any ribbon cables.

There are 5 or 6 ‘bigger’ snaps and more smaller snaps, not exactly sure how to describe them.

I didn’t take any decent pictures but I looked at some instructions/pictures on Chinese forums prior to opening mine.

http://tieba.baidu.com/p/5016212374

Attached are my bad photos.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Chris G
    Keymaster

Yes the entire screen and logic board come straight off without any ribbon cables. There are 5 or 6 ‘bigger’ snaps and more smaller snaps, not exactly sure how to describe them. I didn’t take any decent pictures but I looked at some instructions/pictures on Chinese forums prior to opening mine. http://tieba.baidu.com/p/5016212374 Attached are my bad photos.

Thanks James for the photos. So am I correct that it didn’t come with a 64GB SSD, but eMMC 64GB and the slot was empty?

I’ve just order mine from Banggood for $335 which I think isn’t bad for a Core M3-7Y30 and wireless AC. Are you also picking up the keyboard too? Banggood does seem to sell it.

One last thing, hows the screen is it fully laminated? I imagine it wouldn’t be at this price.

Chris | Admin
    Please support us and help keep TechTablets online. Affiliate revenue is used to pay for the server, studio apartment (Techtablets HQ) and buy new tech to review. Without it, this site would be dead.
    Next up for review:

James
    Participant

Hi Chris,

Yeah the picture was of the 128gb SSD that I installed and works at expected SSD speeds.

I have the keyboard as well, and when docked both together make it pretty heavy.

The screen is not fully laminated as you predicted, it’s my first windows laptop so I do not have much to go on in terms of how it compares against other tablets. Would have probably gone for the Cube Mix Plus (based off of your reviews) had it also had a full size USB 3 port.

My tablet did have an issue with it being recognised as a tablet by Windows and had to do a small registry tweak, also it gets rather hot.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Did you have any problems with the keyboard, James?  I cannot seem to get it to dock reliably.  Windows makes the connect noise and then windows gives an error message in device manager.

The quality of the tablet seems to be pretty good, but the keyboard is wicked heavy, plastic and seems chintzy.

James
    Participant

Hi Kuli, my tablet docks quite well, both USB ports on the keyboard work ok too. However occasionally if I’m move the angle of the laptop while docked I get the windows connect noises, but usually it will continue to work fine. No issues with drivers, this is the case with both copies of Windows on my SSD (installed with my own image and Onda drivers) and eMMC.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Chris G
    Keymaster

If the keyboard is super heavy it’s likely it has a counterweight in it to stop it from tipping over. Thanks for the info I should have mine in a few weeks.

Chris | Admin
    Next up for review:

Anonymous
    Inactive

James, what was the registry tweak you had to do to get windows to recognize as a tablet?  it seems to forget to auto pull up the keyboard and enable auto rotation sometimes.

James
    Participant

Hi, yeah that sounds like the exact problem which I had.

My solution was to open regedit.exe go into the following directory:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SYSTEM>ControlSet001>Control>PriorityControl

change the values of “ConvertibleSlateMode” and “SystemDockMode” to both 0.

I believe that value “0” in “ConvertibleSlateMode”  is tablet mode and “1” is laptop mode.

Once you’ve done that windows should recognise it as a tablet and the virtual keyboard and auto-rotation now works. The problem is these settings revert to their original values after a reset, however renaming the folder “prioritycontrol” to something like “prioritycontrol1” seems to stop that from happening. Not the best of solutions but seems to be working so far, mind you I have not been using the tablet that much so far.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks.

Those settings seem to have worked, no issues with the auto rotation now.

I figured out what my issue with the keyboard was.  The connector on the ribbon cable that goes from the pogo pin connector to the actual keyboard circuit board was loose and not making proper contact.  There was no way to make it tight enough to reliably connect so I had to solder wires directly using my own connector.  Luckily the circuit board had many accessible well-labeled test points so that I could actually do this without having to butcher the board.  Was a major pain in the ass.  The wire gauge going from the pogo connectors to the USB hub on the board is laughably small, so I would definitely not run any high power devices off the keyboard USB’s.  There’s also a big chunk of metal in the base of the keyboard that I took out.  I imagine it adds some stiffness to the keyboard but it weighs 137g and you can take it out without the tablet tipping over.

For those who are interested, the pogo pins on the bottom of the tablet are as follows from left to right:

<GND> <D-> <D+> <KBDETECT> <5V> <5V> <KBDETECT> <D+> <D-> <GND>

Italo Loureiro
    Participant

The back of this tablet is all aluminium ? And for what I can understand from baidu’s thread regarding 11pro (afaik they call it 11pro there), it’s a IPS panel… Great. I’ll be prolly buying it tomorrow or the next day. Seems to be a good tablet with larger screen. I wish Mix Plus had 11.6”.

Any new thoughts after using it for a while?

Alexander
    Participant

@kuli: I hope your keyboard dock connector problem is a one time issue and not a problem for all devices of this model. I am not good in soldering and with my luck would solder the tablet to my table or solder something else where it does not belong.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar