Onda V10 4G Android 7.0 Tablet Mini Review

Onda V10 4G Android 7.0 Tablet Mini Review

TechTablets Forums Onda Forums Onda General Discussion Onda V10 4G Android 7.0 Tablet Mini Review

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Terrence G F
    Participant

I looked around the forum to see if anyone here had purchased this tablet, but I couldn’t find anything, so here’s a very short review of a recently released Onda tablet. My goal was to find an inexpensive tablet with Android 7.

Onda V10 4G

• CPU: MediaTek MT6753 octa-core (ARM Cortex-A53 @ 1.30GHz) / GPU: Mali-T720
    • 2GB DDR3 RAM / 32GB eMMC storage (about 25GB available)
    •  10.1″ 1920×1200 screen
    • Dual band Wifi (2.4GHz + 5GHz), Bluetooth 4.0, FM radio, GPS, 3G: B1/B2/B5/B8, 4G: B1/B3/B7/38/39/40/41
    • 2 full size SIM slots (not tested), 1 MicroSD slot (tested with 128GB Samsung EVO)
    • 6000mAh battery (5200mAh on onda.cn)
    • MicroUSB port (charging and data), headphone jack
    • 2MP front camera / 5MP rear camera
    • Android 7.0

Links

I bought the tablet from onda-tablet.com since it was the cheapest option. Shipping was either $11 for slow or $16 for DHL 3-5 day. I chose DHL. I used PayPal and got a generic order confirmation email right away. However, after waiting 3 days for a shipment confirmation, I did some searching about onda-tablet.com only to find many reports of problems dealing with the company. So I decided to use the PayPal dispute system and asked to cancel my order. The next day, I got a shipment confirmation. The tablet arrived 3 days after that. Ultimately I feel I got a good deal on the tablet, but I think that if I hadn’t resorted to submitting a PayPal dispute, I would still be waiting to hear from the company.

The tablet arrived well packaged with a layer of bubble wrap and a layer of foam wrap. It powered up without any problem. The tablet had been pre-configured for English, so I did a factory reset. There were no issues after changing the language to English. There were a few Chinese applications which were easily uninstalled. Google Play was installed and I was able to install a few apps from the Store just fine. The one problem I had was Chrome which installed but showed an “Enable” button instead of “Open”. I couldn’t figure out how to get it to work, so I installed Chrome Beta instead which worked.

The screen looks quite nice to me with decent brightness and viewing angles. There is a large gap between the glass and the display as is the case with many cheap tablets. There were 2 screen protectors pre-applied. (I removed the top protector.) The back is all plastic. There is a slight seam where the screen joins the back which is sharp on the corners, to the point where it is uncomfortable to hold. I filed down the seam along the corners with a nail file and now it’s fine.

The browsing experience is decent. I think the launcher is stock Android 7. (I typically use Nova launcher.) Antutu gave an overall score of 38600. Geekbench 4 scored 597 single-core/2472 multi-core. (Screen captures in the Links section above.) I suspect 3D gaming will not be the best on this tablet.

Using A1 SD Bench, I found that the MicroSD slot is USB 2.0, resulting in 51MB/s reads and 48MB/s writes with a 128GB Samsung EVO card. The internal memory was slow at 125MB/s reads and 77MB/sec writes.

I tested both 2.4GHz and 5GHz wifi bands with success, giving read/write speeds comparable to what I get on my Samsung S7. I didn’t test the 4G speeds as I don’t have a full-size SIM adapter. GPS worked just fine as well.

There are 2 speakers on the back, but they are not stereo as both speakers output L/R mixed. They get fairly loud with some distortion at 100% volume. The headphone jack sounds good without any noticeable hiss or static.

The cameras are predictably lackluster. The front camera is angled weird resulting in my face appearing on the left half of the screen. The rear camera gives about 5 frames/sec in low light.

Overall, it’s about what I expected for a low-end tablet. I just wanted something with Android 7.0 for less than $150US.

Mathias
    Participant

Overall, it’s about what I expected for a low-end tablet. I just wanted something with Android 7.0 for less than $150US.

Great review, thanks. Can you check the bands supported in band mode? And can you confirm that this tablet indeed does ship with Wireless AC and Android 7? Thanks in advance 🙂

Terrence G F
    Participant

(1) Bands: I don’t have a SIM card installed, so I cannot confirm the bands. However, BangGood.com (link above) lists the following bands:

2G:  GSM 850/900/1800/1900MHz
    3G: WCDMA B1 2100MHz,WCDMA B2 1900MHz,WCDMA B5 850MHz, WCDMA B8 900MHz ,TD-SCDMA: TD-SCDMA B34/B39
    4G: B1 2100MHz,B3 1800MHz,B7 2600MHz,TD-LTE Band 38/39/40/41

(2) Wireless: Yes, I have successfully connected to both 2.4GHz and 5GHz wireless networks.

(3) Android 7. Yes, please look at the pictures in the “Photos and Screen Captures” link above.

Mathias
    Participant

(1) Bands: I don’t have a SIM card installed, so I cannot confirm the bands. However, BangGood.com (link above) lists the following bands: 2G: GSM 850/900/1800/1900MHz 3G: WCDMA B1 2100MHz,WCDMA B2 1900MHz,WCDMA B5 850MHz, WCDMA B8 900MHz ,TD-SCDMA: TD-SCDMA B34/B39 4G: B1 2100MHz,B3 1800MHz,B7 2600MHz,TD-LTE Band 38/39/40/41 (2) Wireless: Yes, I have successfully connected to both 2.4GHz and 5GHz wireless networks. (3) Android 7. Yes, please look at the pictures in the “Photos and Screen Captures” link above.

Sorry, I overlooked that bit in the screenshots. Thanks for confirming and for all the benchmark scores. How’s “real life” battery on it? The PCMark score of just over 6 hours is great, if it holds true in daily use as well.

Via MTK Engineering Mode -> ‘Band Mode’ you might be able to see which bands are checked/available even without sim (it may have Band 20 unchecked, but available) – though it isn’t mentioned in the description from Banggood etc.. I do believe Band 20 (and possibly others) are disabled due to it being released for the Chinese market.

One last thing, if you don’t mind me asking, did you run a Malwarebytes Anti-Malware/(any other virus/malware check) scan on the tablet? If yes, did it find any? If no, would you mind performing a scan to check?

Thanks in advance – any help is appreciated 🙂

Terrence G F
    Participant

6 hours of battery life is about average for my use.

I tried MTK Engineering Mode, but it wouldn’t report anything without a SIM card. However, I had an un-activated T-Mobile SIM with full-size adapter that allowed me to run the app. Screenshots are available at the “Photos and Screen Captures” link. LTE Bands: 1, 3, 5, 7, 8, 28, 38, 39, 40, and 41.

Malwarebytes reported no issues. 360 Security reported no issues.

Mathias
    Participant

6 hours of battery life is about average for my use. I tried MTK Engineering Mode, but it wouldn’t report anything without a SIM card. However, I had an un-activated T-Mobile SIM with full-size adapter that allowed me to run the app. Screenshots are available at the “Photos and Screen Captures” link. LTE Bands: 1, 3, 5, 7, 8, 28, 38, 39, 40, and 41. Malwarebytes reported no issues. 360 Security reported no issues.

Thanks for checking. Final question, does Netflix run on the tablet? You might think “Why wouldn’t it?” but after the last couple of updates, it sometimes wont run on Android if the firmware has been modified.

I think you should copy/paste your review and post it on XDA Developers as well. It would help a lot of people.

Again, thanks in advance.

Terrence G F
    Participant

Yep, Netflix works just fine. Note that I’m in USA.

Mathias
    Participant

Yep, Netflix works just fine. Note that I’m in USA.

That’s perfect.

Would you mind running Sensor Box just for clarification of the sensors? https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=imoblife.androidsensorbox

Terrence G F
    Participant

Would you mind running Sensor Box just for clarification of the sensors?

The only ones that worked were Accelerometer Sensor and Sound Sensor. Vendor “MTK”.

Mathias
    Participant

Would you mind running Sensor Box just for clarification of the sensors?

The only ones that worked were Accelerometer Sensor and Sound Sensor. Vendor “MTK”.

Allright, going to order one today for 122 USD. That’s the cheapest option right now.

Terrence G F
    Participant

Allright, going to order one today for 122 USD.

Sounds like a decent price. I hope it arrives in good condition, and meets your expectations.

Mathias
    Participant

Allright, going to order one today for 122 USD.

Sounds like a decent price. I hope it arrives in good condition, and meets your expectations.

It arrived and I must say the build quality is very bad. That aside it’s a great tablet for the price.

Did you update yours? If you didn’t and want to I can post the instructions here (not available as OTA unfortunately).

Terrence G F
    Participant

Did you update yours? If you didn’t and want to I can post the instructions here (not available as OTA unfortunately).

I didn’t realize an update was available. If you have instructions, I would certainly appreciate them. Thanks!

Mathias
    Participant

I didn’t realize an update was available. If you have instructions, I would certainly appreciate them. Thanks!

Flash at your own risk 😉 These are my instructions inspired by the Chinese manual and own experience/research.

Prerequisites: 

• Enable ‘Developer Options’ and allow ‘USB Debugging’ on your Onda V10 4G tablet
    • Download and extract ‘V10 4G_1.0.3_ V7-0705.rar’ here (thanks to vov808 from 4pda): https://yadi.sk/d/2kmZBWYD3KxtbK
    • Download ‘ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ19.key’ from here (official ONDA upload folder): http://pan.baidu.com/s/1hsCEL6G#list/path=%2FFirmWare%2F3G%20MID%2FV10%204G%2FMTK%E7%B3%BB%E5%88%97%E6%9C%BA%E5%9E%8B%E5%88%B7%E6%9C%BA%E5%B7%A5%E5%85%B7%E5%92%8CKEY%E7%A0%81&parentPath=%2FFirmWare%2F3G%20MID%2FV10%204G
    • Make sure your tablet is charged to 80%
    • Backup all your dataeverything will be erased.

Preaparing to flash

The extracted V10 4G_1.0.3_ V7-0705.rar archive:

1. The ‘Driver’ folder contains the MTK drivers you need. Install either the 32-bit or 64-bit version (depending on your machine).
    2. Install ‘BeTools_v4.6.48.330_T4.exe’ (you can change the language to English).

Make sure drivers are correctly installed:

• Now plug in your Onda V10 4G and see if Windows recognizes it.
    • If Windows recognizes the tablet. Great you’re ready.
    • Now unplug your Onda V10 4G (VERY IMPORTANT)
    • I repeat DO NOT LEAVE YOUR ONDA V10 4G plugged in, but leave the cable plugged in to your PC.
    • Switch off the tablet.

The flashing process using BeToolS

• Open ‘BeToolS and choose ‘Off-line log in’
    • Now choose ‘Open RegCode File’ and select the ‘ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ19.key’ (Why? Because the .key file from the V10 4G_1.0.3_ V7-0705.rar archive has expired)
    • It takes a few seconds before BeToolS runs, be patient.
    • In ‘Scatter-loading File:’ press ‘…’ and locate the ‘KMT6753_EMMC_PUNAIER-D2-Y107-1.sca‘ file inside the ‘V10 4G V7‘ folder.
    • Press ‘Download’
    • Now connect your (switched off! IMPORTANT) Onda V10 4G tablet to the USB cable
    • The flashing process starts and takes around 5 minutes (be patient).
    • Your tablet restarts and boots the new firmware upgrade. Default language setting is Chinese, but you can easily switch to English.
    • Enjoy 🙂

Terrence G F
    Participant

Thank you for the detailed directions. I appreciate the effort. Unfortunately, I couldn’t get my tablet to update. After the “Press ‘Download'” step and connecting the powered-off tablet with the USB cable, the tablet would show the battery charging screen, and then nothing else would happen. I tried several different USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports without success. Everything up to that point was successful, so perhaps my computer setup just doesn’t work with the BeTools software correctly Oh well, the tablet seems to be running just fine as is. But thank you again for posting the instructions!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password