Overclocking after thermal mod

Overclocking after thermal mod

TechTablets Forums Cube Forums Cube Mix Plus Overclocking after thermal mod

This topic contains 15 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  stajerc 2 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

stajerc
    Participant

Hey guys,

so i bought one of these for 279e in one of the “flash sales”, got it, tried it and it got instantly to 94 degrees, so i applied a similar mod like Chris did in his review:

0,7mm thick copper plate 1×2 cm + arctic silver thermal paste between cpu and stock “heatsink”, than a 0,5 mm thick, 0,9×1,8 cm copper plate + arctic silver into the indentation from the back side on the “stock heatsink” and finally a 0,5 mm thick copper plate that fits the size (if i remeber correctly 6x10cm) of the “stock heatsink” on top of it with some arctic silver in between. Which fits for me perfectly. I might be even able to fit the 0,7mm thick 6×10 cm copper plate between the stock heatsink and the case, but since its working now, i dont want to open it again…

Now my cpu stays at like 74 degrees celsius max after prolonged intel burn in test or furmark (even if i set the tdp to 25w in XTU or in the bios).

What i however saw is that our bios has EXTENSIVE options to overvolt/undervolt/overclock/downclock/Up/Down TDP etc.

Since there are so many options, its even a bit confusing for me, being a veteran of self building and ocing own PCs for over 15 years.

Now i wanted to ask if anyone had played around there, to see how it works out.

The one thing that i dont seem to be able to change are the maximum single/dual cpu ratio and the maximum gpu speed.

For tdp i can set it to 25W on all levels (so to say TDP UP – i havent tried more), with my device i can set a dynamic offset for cpu voltage at around -0,07v and for the gpu at -0,05v, which helps with power draw and temps a bit, but not much (on an i7 6700hq in a dell inspiron that i owned shortly, i was able to set -0,11v on cpu and -0,07v on the gpu).

I havent tried ocing the ram, but i guess something should be possible (perhaps 2000 or even 2133, whilst loosening cl maybe – could even up the voltage a bit)- i dont want to overdo it though as than it might not post at all – how to reset the bios than, any ideas??? But this should bring some nice improvements for gpu intensive tasks.

further i wonder whats with the gpu, as it seems to run only at 850 mhz always and not the advertised 900 mhz, even if the cpu has 40 degrees and the max TDP is set to 25w, as well as that it drops to 450mhz after a short period of time (again even with normal cpu temps and loose tdp limits)?

Just for the yips i upped the tdp to 25w, ran intel burn in + furmark at the same time and the cpu came to approx 84 degrees, at that point the back side of the tablet was really hot, not holdable anymore, and suddenly the tablet turned off. So i was worried, that i broke it, but apparently not. My guess is that either the  battery wasnt able to supply enough juice (as i was running it over battery, not connected to the charger) or that simply the PWM couldnt handle 25w sustained draw – i was just able to check in HWinfo before it turned off, that it used approx 13w on the gfx and 12w on the cpu, even if i just did the same 25w tdp, ran only furmark it used approx 13w and only intel burn in test used approx 12,8w.

Here some thought for you guys, if someone has helpful/useful ideas/input.

otherwise i have to say im rather impressed by how good it works.

Chris G
    Keymaster

I wouldn’t touch them. You can’t overclock these chips I think, just use Intel XTU and increase the power limits to get a really nice boost on the GPU. With the increased limits the GPU can now turbo higher and for longer.

Chris | Admin
    Please support us and help keep TechTablets online. Affiliate revenue is used to pay for the server, studio apartment (Techtablets HQ) and buy new tech to review. Without it, this site would be dead.
    Next up for review:
    Ordered and waiting for my: Teclast X6 Pro, X4 and UMIDIGI S3 Pro
    Currently testing: FIMI X8 SE 4k drone, Chuwi Lapbook Pro & 2 x Lenovo laptops 🙂

stajerc
    Participant

Yeah, afaik it should be impossible to overclock these.

But as i said, the bios has so many options…

btw what is the latest bios?

duno, i think i could try to oc the ram at least.

and with the gpu as i said, it appears to throttle to 480mhz really fast, even if i set the max tdp ridiculously high, as well as up the max duration for it.

there are several tdp options, level 1-4, but im not sure which one does what?

it would be best just to try to up the normal tdp (not turbo tdp) to 15w and than the gpu should be able to constantly run at 900mhz.

Rubick
    Participant

I tried to talk about this here:

CPU tuning after thermal mod

I hadn’t had any fan ^.^u

I’ll not Touch the BIOS Settings as I’ve seen that in real-life tests the CPU isn’t at 100% full time and flutuates so the turbo boost is launched much more freqüently than in those synthetic benchmaks.

May be interesting to squeeze a little bit more this Jewel but it will not run Cemu at 100% anyway (I get about 20-25fps).

stajerc
    Participant

Yeah, so for anyone whos interested.

i tried changing several settings in the bios, from power limit 1, 2, 3, to custom turbo modes, higher gpu frequency, other ram multiplier with lower base clock etc. basically nothing worked. the power limits got applied but somehow power limit 1 than kept resetting to 4,5w in windows and i had to use XTU to change it back, or better said lower it from the 25w i have set just by 1w or even less for it to again jump up. i definitely think thers a bug there.

the ram oc ended miserably as well, the tablet rebooted, didnt power on than though, i had to disconnect the psu, hold the pwr button for 10s or so, than wait another 30 s and it booted again with default speeds.

so the best way to get more power out of it, is for me right now to just load defaults in the bios, than lower the volts by 70mV dynamically on the cpu, gt, uncore, boot into windows and use xtu to set the tdp limit 1 and 2 from 7/15w to 22/22w or 25/25w. than it gave best performance for games (League of legends) or even for generic tests like Furmark (11fps on default…) or intel burn in test.

what i have however found in the bios while sifting through it, was the option to enable USB Type C. I dont have an usb type C power charger with PD functionality, so i cant test if it charges through usb c now.

one last thing for anyone who might read it: do we know what speeds the sdcard reader can manage? Id like to use linux on it too and am too lazy to repartition the already small ssd, so i wanted to use a microsd card for it. one would need at least one with ufs 3 or whatever that standard with 95mb/s read/write is named, which i naturally dont own (yet). So did anyone try something like that?

stajerc
    Participant

minor update,

i managed to lock the TDP limits to 22,5W in bios, lower the voltage of cpu, gpu and uncore by 70mV in bios, so that i dont need xtu and the settings apply to linux as well. Important is to set all limits to 22500mW, the duration to 128 on all the settings in the bios and to change DTPF to 22500mW, you could do even more 25W, is most what i tested, but i think i dont need it for either light games like lol or high cpu load like linux compiling, as there is no real life situation where both the cpu and gpu must be 100% loaded (since each consumes around 12w)

stajerc
    Participant

Hey guys so i received a second cube mix plus yesterday and did my mod this time again and lo and behold, didnt forget to make pictures this time.

in the following dropbox link you can check the process, mostly i have photographed all the sizes and thickness of the materials i used. for this one i have used a slightly different approach: the small plate between cpu and the original heatsink is 0.5mm thick (0,7mm in the first mod), than the small one on top the original heatsink is 0.5mm as well (like the first mod) and the big plate is 0,7mm this time (0,5mm last time), the size of which is approx 10×6,5cm – you can see it on the pics.

now i photographed both tablets from the side than, i cant really see a bulging of the screen or anything, though i see that the connectors are slightly moved/pushed toward the screen side, probably the mobo is being pressed a bit from both my plates (0,7 and 0,5 mm) as i cant see a real difference in both. the connectors can however be used without a problem. I havent had time to compare the mods, but what i managed to test already is the quality of the cpus/socs and the new one has a slightly better one – stock voltage is lower by approx 0,05v and i can uv it another 0,01 or 0,02v more than the first one (to -0,09/0,08 as compared to the old one -0,075/0,07), hence it appears to heat up less (both unlocked tdp up to 22,5w), although it appears to heat up at first faster (probably cuz the first plate is thinner), but holds the temp better than (probably cuz of the lower volts and the thicker big plate).

as a bonus i added a few pics of my bios settings.

enjoy

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/16z3ibdfpzwq3v4/AAA2QIO3WjWZOdFj8DSazLCxa?dl=0

Cloppy
    Participant

Thanks for sharing. Regarding the ports, my unit had them offset to the side upon arrival. The thermal mod added a vertical offset as well, but it is not a big deal.

stajerc
    Participant

so i finally had the time to compare both tablets now. The new one has a better SoC, can use approx 0.07 lower volts (even default) than the old one.

The old one has 0.7mm -> 0,5mm -> 0,5mm plates, the new one has 0,5mm -> 0,5mm -> 0,7mm and should hence have a greater thermal resistance as the last plate is the biggest.

but astonishingly the first ones CPU is at least 10 degrees cooler, than the new ones under 100% load (running OCCT) with unlocked TDP to 22,5w (on both), letting them run an endless loop makes the new one reach 87 degrees after 3 mins 4 seconds, the first one at 5 mins 58 seconds, almost double the time.

Now my theory is that the 0,5mm plate between the soc and the original heatsink is the limiting factor for the new one, either its not thick enough and it doesnt make as good a contact as the 0,7mm one, or the reduced thickness has such an impact on it.

Im unbelievably tempted to reopen t he new one and change the first plate from 0,5 to 0,7 but am afraid that, the big plate might get dislodged during opening and produce a short circuit, hence killing the tablet….

virgo
    Participant

so i finally had the time to compare both tablets now. The new one has a better SoC, can use approx 0.07 lower volts (even default) than the old one.

The old one has 0.7mm -> 0,5mm -> 0,5mm plates, the new one has 0,5mm -> 0,5mm -> 0,7mm and should hence have a greater thermal resistance as the last plate is the biggest.

but astonishingly the first ones CPU is at least 10 degrees cooler, than the new ones under 100% load (running OCCT) with unlocked TDP to 22,5w (on both), letting them run an endless loop makes the new one reach 87 degrees after 3 mins 4 seconds, the first one at 5 mins 58 seconds, almost double the time.

Now my theory is that the 0,5mm plate between the soc and the original heatsink is the limiting factor for the new one, either its not thick enough and it doesnt make as good a contact as the 0,7mm one, or the reduced thickness has such an impact on it.

Im unbelievably tempted to reopen t he new one and change the first plate from 0,5 to 0,7 but am afraid that, the big plate might get dislodged during opening and produce a short circuit, hence killing the tablet….

Do you mean Mix Plus design changed?

If you found my answer helpful, you may donate to me at my signature above!

stajerc
    Participant

No, you misunderstood the post. You should reread the whole thread and check the pictures i linked in the dropbox link.

Im just saying that apparently my second thermal mod is not as good as the first one, the only difference being the thickness of the first plate i used.

stajerc
    Participant

so i just reopened the new tablet, replaced the 0,5 mm plate between the cpu and the original heatsink with a 0,8mm one and the 0,5mm one between the heatsink and the big copper plate to 0,7mm, the cooling is slightly better, but still not as good as the first mod i did on the first tablet, still occt can only run good 4 minutes before it reaches 87 degrees, while the old one still can do almost 6 minutes. im not sure where this comes from, as now the new one  has almost 2 times the copper in it as the old one (still without the screen getting bent).

rafita82
    Participant

so i just reopened the new tablet, replaced the 0,5 mm plate between the cpu and the original heatsink with a 0,8mm one and the 0,5mm one between the heatsink and the big copper plate to 0,7mm, the cooling is slightly better, but still not as good as the first mod i did on the first tablet, still occt can only run good 4 minutes before it reaches 87 degrees, while the old one still can do almost 6 minutes. im not sure where this comes from, as now the new one has almost 2 times the copper in it as the old one (still without the screen getting bent).

The microprocessors are not 100% identical. Each microprocessor could be overcklocked with different results, even if they are te same. One of them has better thermal characteristics, thats all.

It is also possible that the first copper plate do a better contact with the microprocessor or even you have applied the thermal paste you are using in a better manner. There are a lot of small things which all together could perform a really different behaviour.

virgo
    Participant

How to use keyboard dock as a heat sink?

If you found my answer helpful, you may donate to me at my signature above!

Nero
    Participant

Am not sure if your looking for a way to reduce the high temperatures; for me i had to reduce the max processor to about 80% plugged in and 50% on battery. on battery max temp is 50 deg cel, but mostly runs between 37-40 on light job. performance reduction; yes but not significant on light duties. boot still 6 seconds, opening chrome does about 4 sec, opera 5, clip studio 15 sec…lol.. , edge kills it with 2 sec …  am on overall happy with the gadget since am not a heavy user

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password