Possibly dead after 1 hours use :(

Possibly dead after 1 hours use :(

TechTablets Forums Teclast Forums X98 Pro Forum Possibly dead after 1 hours use :(

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Steve
    Participant

Was very excited about today, I knew my X98 Pro was being delivered.

Got home from work and unwrapped it. Did some basic browsing within Windows and booted into Android a couple of times just to have a look around. Then just after an hours use tried booting into Windows and after several minutes all I got was a mouse pointer and the occassional loading blue spinning thing. Left for another 5 minutes, no joy. Have powered it off and on again a few times and never get any further than this.

Tried booting into Android and this fails with the error message:

WriteDisk (bcb): Device Error

Unable to update BCB contents!

See attached screenshot

Any ideas?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Chris G
    Keymaster

Can’t say I’ve seen that. Before you look into doing anything else, I would do the following. If you can power it off (Make sure nothing is displayed on the screen like that error message) And let it charge overnight, a good 6 hours at least. Then try and power it on. Sometimes on the X98 Air 3G if the tablet has almost no power, it will display odd errors.

Let us know how you get on!

Chris | Admin
    Please support us and help keep TechTablets online. Affiliate revenue is used to pay for the server, studio apartment (Techtablets HQ) and buy new tech to review. Without it, this site would be dead.
    Next up for review:
    Ordered and waiting for my: BMAX S15 & Teclast F6 Plus
    Currently testing: LG G8X & Redmi K30

Steve
    Participant

Cheers Chris, appreciate you replying.

Funnily enough I was thinking along similar lines, got it charging at the moment. If I don’t get any joy out of it by the morning, I’m going to send it back to Banggood, don’t want to start flashing anything and risk them not accepting it back.

For the time it was working I was pretty impressed with it, lets hope there’s some life in it in the morning

Steve
    Participant

Still the same

Chris G
    Keymaster

This error is a strange one, something has gone wrong, a corrupted eMMC? Hardly likely. And you getting the same error? Does powering on and holding vol down give you anything?

Chris | Admin
    Please support us and help keep TechTablets online. Affiliate revenue is used to pay for the server, studio apartment (Techtablets HQ) and buy new tech to review. Without it, this site would be dead.
    Next up for review:

Steve
    Participant

I’ll have to wait till I get home to try that. No response from Banggood yet, they just told me to email them. I pointed out that I had 13 hours prior.

Hopefully it won’t take too much longer for them to respond. Ultimately I would still like to have them just replace it, although if the cost to ship back then pay the VAT on getting the replacement sent to me might mean its easier to just get another one and have this one to experiment on.

If I did just decided to order a new one, would you recommend any alternative tablets around the same spec/price?

Chris G
    Keymaster

Nothing out with this spec yet. The Onda Air v919 CH (Smaller battery) Or the Chuwi Hi10 (Another smaller battery) http://techtablets.com/2015/10/chuwi-hi10-is-crowd-funded-more-details-on-the-spec/

Chris | Admin
    Next up for review:

Steve
    Participant

To answer your question from earlier Chris, powering on with Vol – gets me to DNX Fastboot mode

Steve
    Participant

Just in case you are interested, here is what I’m seeing

Chris G
    Keymaster

Not good, hard to say for sure, but it looks like the eMMC has somehow corrupted or the UEFI bios. Getting into DNX mode means you will be able to flash Android and later install Windows. But it’s not something you should have to do. Show this video to Banggood and as for a replacement or refund.

I’ve had 3 X98 Pros now and sold over 20 X98 Air’s on eBay and locally, I haven’t seen this before.

Chris | Admin
    Next up for review:

Steve
    Participant

TBH one of the things that attracted me to this tablet was the quirky nature of it. At first I was a bit worried because I hadn’t heard of this issue prior to ordering it (I read a lot of this forum as homework before I put the money down).

I have a fair amount of experience with Android tablets and having read Roberts guide (http://techtablets.com/forums/topic/how-to-dualboot-androidwindows-on-k9c3/) I’m pretty sure this is something I will be able to fix myself. Although, you are quite right in saying I shouldn’t have to and I have flagged this up to Banggood (no response yet though).

I’ve ordered myself a second one of these in fact with the view to having one vanilla and one I don’t mind taking the odd risk with. I’ll post up on here on what success (or otherwise) I have in case anyone else gets the same error message as me.

In fact are you able to change the title of this thread to ‘WriteDisk (bcb): Device Error – Unable to update BCB contents!’

BBaker
    Participant

This is an important topic for your viewers Chris.  The amount or lack of good support of various Chinese online retailers. Might be worth a forum post, if not YT video, on which sites you prefer.  And TT viewers can chime in on their experiences.  How’s Gearbest’s post-sales support?

Steve
    Participant

Bradley, just to let you know my experience with Banggood can still be described as very good. Admittedly their response time for this issue hasn’t been as quick as I would’ve liked (I will fully admit patience isn’t one of my strong suits). I totally agree it would be good for people to know how they react in situations where their customers have issues though. Everything else has been spot on from them.

Steve
    Participant

Ok so I tried going through the process set out by Robert – http://techtablets.com/forums/topic/how-to-dualboot-androidwindows-on-k9c3/

I keep getting stuck at 36% where I get the error message:

Partitions are bigger than the disk, partition 24872 MiB disk 1877 MiB

I’ve tried it many many times now and have given up.

I’ve tried getting to DNX Fastboot by holding down the buttons and instructing the bios to take me there. I have also tried setting the bios to use Android and Windows as the image ID.

I’ve tried skipping the Android step and going straight to the USB WINPE install but all I get is a blank white screen for ages. I’ve also tried creating my own Windows 10 USB drive, once with the Microsoft USB tool (MBR) and once with Rufus (EFI/GPT).

I even took the installer.cmd file from the Android install folder and took each section and ran them using fastboot, but it always gets stuck on anything to do with the partitions. For example:

fastboot oem unlock
    fastboot flash oemvars oemvars.txt

In case anyone was wondering how I got into Fastboot mode instead of DNX Fastboot this is just where the Intel Flash tool left me when it failed.

I really think the eMMC just died on me. Just lucky I guess 🙂 Banggood have been emailed asking for a refund.

Chris G
    Keymaster

That does sound more and more like an eMMC issue to me now if the disk is not reported correctly in size or will not partition. I had issues flashing the Rom first time, but that was a different issue as I did not have the correct bios. Looks like you’ll need to get a replacement.

@bradley-baker
    There is a feedback thread where I do encourage people to post feedback on the online sellers from Aliexpress and retailers like Banggood.com and Gearbest.com etc

Chris | Admin
    Next up for review:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar