Random black screens

Random black screens

TechTablets Forums Cube Forums Cube iWork10 Ultimate Random black screens

This topic contains 28 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  Hans Sprungfeld 2 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author

S K
    Participant

looks like hardware acceleration does cause the error, on Chrome and Kodi (both of which use it), I had the graphics black screen pop up failure, without acceleration it seems okay. Time will tell.  Still need assistance updating my Intel driver though.

BeMoo
    Participant

@S K, I completely removed the driver (to default Windows driver) and ran the Intel update driver. Then choose the non-N version.

S K
    Participant

Thank you, I got the driver updated, I’ll test some different things and let you guys know what I figure out about black screens. I haven’t gotten any since I updated the driver from safe mode.

Chris Clayton
    Participant

I have the same issue, quite dramatic but it is ony in Opera which I just started to look at this week. The spacebar tip works and is helpful for getting the display back short term, otherwise I have stopped using Opera for the present, as my 3 other browsers are unaffected.

S K
    Participant

From what I can tell what triggers this temp driver failure is hardware acceleration, I haven’t experienced it except with apps/programs that use hardware acceleration.

Chris Clayton
    Participant

Something else for me to learn about.

S K
    Participant

please let us know if anyone actually fixes this problem, clean Windows didn’t do it for me

BeMoo
    Participant

I found hardware acceleration also problematic with Opera and Chrome browsers (both 32- and 64 bit). Not strange because Opera uses the same engine as Chrome. Firefox however seems to work ok with hardware acceleration activated.

And I guess Windows has hardware acceleration activated with most other apps (among Windows buildin apps like Edge browser)? So … Chrome-based browser problem?

freddy
    Participant

sk, with the clean install which drivers did u install first? did u try the original drivers or intels latest?

last time im getting a cube, looks like we will have to wait until they release a new driver which they probably wont 🙁

Chris Clayton
    Participant

I turned off hardware acceleration in Opera and so far have not had the black screen performance.

S K
    Participant

@Freddy

I used Intel’s latest. Without using hardware acceleration I haven’t had any black screens on Windows

Hans Sprungfeld
    Participant

I can confirm that this happens too for me, after I began to use Chrome in the background (just for Hangouts). It never happened before to me, but since I have Chrome running in the background, I get lots of forced GPU driver restarts (black screen for 2-3 secs) while using Edge for example and flash (hw acceleration). I deactivated hw acc in Chrome, hope this helps. Well this adds to the list of problems with this tablet. Using 4501 btw, there’s a new beta driver, but it’s changelog doesn’t say anything about a fix for this. Intel is really bad and slow in fixing problems with their GPU drivers.

BeMoo
    Participant

I must admit the iWork10 is far from perfect but in their defence, hardware-acceleration seems a big problem with Chrome, also on other pc’s/chip sets. It’s either not working (while activated) or is unstable.

Hans Sprungfeld
    Participant

It seems the problem is a mix of faulty Intel drivers AND Intel GPU bios/me firmware, which unfortunatly just can be fixed fia bios update, suggested by several posts on the Intel forums:

https://communities.intel.com/thread/78498

https://communities.intel.com/thread/95893

So I guess this tablet is dead, because Cube will never release any bios updates.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password