thermal, ssd, and weight modification

thermal, ssd, and weight modification

TechTablets Forums Cube Forums Cube i7 Book thermal, ssd, and weight modification

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    nipaph
    Participant

Hello everyone,

i’ve done some modification on the cube i7 book. First for the temperature issue i’ve used 0,5mm thermal pad ;
    for the ssd upgrade doing some cuts,  I’ve used the 512gb crucial 2260 mx200. I’m pretty happy with it, more than 500mb/s read and almost 500 write speed.
    and most important, i reduce the weight of about 300g, removing the metal plate of the keyboard.
    Now the total weight is about 1100g instead of 1400g without mod. Now is a very ultrabook

Here: http://www.nipaph.com/hacking/cube-i7-book-hack/  you can find some pics and the explanation of the procedure. It is in italian, but there are the pics ang google translator 🙂

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Wylver
    Participant

Very nice modification, glad to see you managed to fit a 2260 SSD inside.

What purpose does the metal plate in the keyboard have, holding the whole thing together?

nipaph
    Participant

the principal purpose i think is to counterbalance the weight of the tablet, in fact at the maximum angle it fall back, but if you close it, let me say,  1 degree, it does not happen. So in my opinion is completely acceptable. 300g less i think is a good result.

Wylver
    Participant

300g is quite a lot.

What about the trackpad, is the taped card a viable longterm solution?

Personally I still prefer it to be a little more balanced so it doesn’t topple over.

But very nice mod you did, and thanks a lot for sharing your experience.

nipaph
    Participant

for sure there’ll be much more elegant solutions, it was the easiest one i found at the moment. I don’t know if it’ll be durable, maybe yes because it is also touching to the back cover…..anyway if it’ll not work i’ll find another solution.

the balance is ok for my taste, but anyone have different priority

Katagiri
    Participant

What the size of the thermal pad you used on the heat sink? Thanks!

Wylver
    Participant

He used the 145x145x0,5mm thermal pad from arctic cooling and cut it to size so it would fit the aluminum heatsink.

The heatsink is about 100x40mm

nipaph
    Participant

exactly, the link is this

https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B00UYTTLI4/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=3370&creative=23322&creativeASIN=B00UYTTLI4&linkCode=as2&tag=nipaph-21

i used 0,5mm because i think with 1mm you could have problem to close the tablet

Katagiri
    Participant

Thanks, I guessed right. I already ordered one for myself.

Luigi
    Participant

Thank you for sharing you mod. I’m Italian, so I wrote a couple of questions directly in you website 🙂

John Macie
    Participant

Great mods! Thank you for sharing and the pictures! Gonna try if I ever get my shipment, still waiting!

nipaph
    Participant

i’ve answered to you.

Franzli
    Participant

Very nice, I’ve been thinking about opening the keyboard myself. Good to hear that it doesn’t seem to become too unstable this way. Is there anything in particular to look out for when opening the keyboard, any tricky areas? I suppose opening works like for the tablet – with thin plastic tools and lots of patience?

nipaph
    Participant

Exaclty Franzli, you have to open it like the tablet and pay attention by the cables. then you need a lot of patience. Apart of the easy screws, there are many plastic pins around all the plate, that you need to cut off, that helps you when you do some leveraging from below, to not force too much and not risk to deform or break the frame. There is also a big glue in the middle of the plate that you can remove with a flat screwdriver or something like that. The last thing after you remove the plate is to put something behind the trackpad to counteract the two buttons, i’ve used a magnetic card, as you saw from the pics.

Jagd
    Participant

I can’t really see on the pictures, do you think there is enough space for a 2.5″ hdd in the keyboard? That would be a nice mod if it fits. 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar