Transend 256GB, SSD Upgrade

Transend 256GB, SSD Upgrade

TechTablets Forums Cube Forums Cube i7 Book Transend 256GB, SSD Upgrade

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Chris G
    Keymaster

Hi all, I would have had this on video but after 20 minute clip and went to edit it the sound wasn’t recorded correctly and very hard to hear. Had to ditch it.

So I upgraded to a 256GB Transcend M.2 2242 SSD, wasn’t happy with the 64GB size and write speeds. What I did was backup with Windows 10 and made an image. Using the backup Windows 7 image option. Put the new drive in and then booted to a USB pen drive Windows 10 install USB dick. Selected to repair and not do a fresh install. Restored my Windows 10 image and  I had 178GB of unallocated space.

unallocated space

You can either use a tool like partition magic and increase the C drive space. OR what I did was just created a D drive. Install my apps and docs to that drive and hopefully a factory reset wouldn’t wipe the files on the D drive.

Benchmarked it and really happy with the speeds. Better than I expected!

Transend 256GB SSD

Chris | Admin
    Please support us and help keep TechTablets online. Affiliate revenue is used to pay for the server, studio apartment (Techtablets HQ) and buy new tech to review. Without it, this site would be dead.
    Next up for review:
    Ordered and waiting for my: BMAX S15 & Teclast F6 Plus
    Currently testing: LG G8X & Redmi K30

mshayanh13
    Participant

In a previous post (regarding the i7 Stylus), KingSpec was recommended. Any reason of choosing Transend?

Is there a speed difference?

David Carvajal Blanco
    Participant

why not just make a clean install of win 10 ?? it doesn.t work ?? i want to make an update of my ssd too.

David Carvajal Blanco
    Participant

Can you upload the video anyway ?? i want to see it, even with no sound 😛

Andreas Stennert
    Participant

Hi Chris,

Nice to see that it is relatively easy to install a bigger SSD.

Considering to do so myself, but don’t really know which to chose. Is Transcend preferable over other brands such as adata? Was it just price or coincidence that made you chose that drive Chris? Amazon search gave me these results.

Kind regards

Andreas

Chris G
    Keymaster

@david-carvajal-blanco I ditched the video as uploading it with messed up sound would cause the YouTube haters to go to town on me.

@mohammad-hemani
    & @stennan The King spec would be fine or Adata, I got the Transend for three reasons, A more known brand and the main reason, Amazon had it in stock with next day delivery to me. Plus as a bonus it seems writes were a little faster than what I saw on the King Spec.

Chris | Admin
    Please support us and help keep TechTablets online. Affiliate revenue is used to pay for the server, studio apartment (Techtablets HQ) and buy new tech to review. Without it, this site would be dead.
    Next up for review:

ahrlad
    Participant

For comparison, I upgraded to a 256GB KingSpec drive:

I bought the disk for about $70 on aliexpress, and also bought a cheap ($7) USB3-to-m.2 adapter. I put the new drive into the adapter, used Macrium Reflect free edition to clone my drive onto the new one, used Partition Wizard to adjust partition sizes, and then opened up the tablet to switch drives. I had expected some irritating boot issue, but it actually worked without a hitch!

I’m happy with the r/w speeds, the lower write speeds compared with the Transcend disk is to be expected.

Also, I put a big thermal pad on the heat spreader, and now the stress test in Intel Extreme Tuning doesn’t push my temps above about 72-79 degrees! Can recommend both operations.

mshayanh13
    Participant

When opening the tablet, what’s the best place to start?

Which tool is best so that nothing breaks in the process?

Sing Along
    Participant

Plastic picks or spunger?

Just be very careful of the power button area.

i think I broke a clip there and it flexes / creaks a bit.

K2efy
    Participant

are kingshare or mydigital super boot m2 any good

Chris G
    Keymaster

Should be find, normally they use brand name chips like Sandisk. And Marvell or similar controllers.

Chris | Admin
    Next up for review:

Andrew W
    Participant

PowerElectronicsBlog put in a full length SSD into his Cube i7 Stylus. Do you think it is possible to fit a full length one into the i7 Book?

Likoum
    Participant

I had to open my tablet and check : the layout of the Book is a little different : there is about 8mm empty space once the ssd is installed : not enough room for a bigger m2 ssd…

Andrew W
    Participant

Damnit so the m2 port is much closer to the edge then….

William Natalius
    Participant

Hi, anyone here ever try gloway ssd?

I’t is very cheap on aliexpress and I’m planning to buy the 256gb, but I want to know the speed comparison with the original first.

please help,

thanks.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar