Ubuntu on Lapbook SE

Ubuntu on Lapbook SE

TechTablets Forums Chuwi Forums Chuwi LapBook Series Ubuntu on Lapbook SE

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  ReidenXerx 5 days, 15 hours ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

robodude2829
    Participant

For anyone interested, I have gotten Ubuntu installed on my Lapbook SE. It runs okay, but seems to have some stability issues. Touchpad works, speakers work, bluetooth works, wifi works, function keys work.

If anyone has any specific questions about the process, or about the device itself, fire away.

JD
    Participant

This is good to know. Thanks for posting.

Anything in particular not working, other than the stability issues you mentioned?

robodude2829
    Participant

The touchpad works fine, but doesn’t seem as responsive. I have to click on things multiple times sometimes before it will register.

I did also forget to mention that Ubuntu doesn’t recognize the webcam. Not a problem for me since I never use one, but something to consider.

I sometimes have issues with the browser freezing up. The rest of the OS will still respond usually, though. Just have to wait it out, and the browser will work again. Had the same issue with Firefox and Vivaldo. I will try with Chromium at some point. Not sure if I’m just taxing the hardware with how many things I have open (used to running with an i7 Surfacebook).

Battery life has been good so far; plenty to get through a day of use.

Plan to use it as my main computing device for quite a while, so should have better insights in the future. This is with Ubuntu Budgie.

JD
    Participant

Thank you very much for the feedback. I’m mostly booting to Windows, but like the option of things working on Ubuntu.

Brad
    Participant

Which version of Ubuntu, 18.10?  Maybe try LinuxMint Mate, XFCE, or Xubuntu.  These are lighter weight (faster) distro’s based on Ubuntu.
    Or perhaps LMDE3 (Linux Mint Debian Edition 3) or AntiX both light weight distro’s based on Debian Linux.
    Also the Falkon browser for Linux is lightweight and fast.
    And don’t forget to install and run the Timeshift backup app!

Yannis
    Participant

Hi there!

How’s your cpu temps with Ubuntu?

I’ve installed the latest Mint cinammon on mine and temperatures are between 10-20°C higher than windows!

Tested by just watching 1080p video on YouTube. With no other apps on the background open.

Brad
    Participant

That doesn’t seem right. Maybe a buggy driver in Ubuntu?  Try booting from a Manjaro Xfce Live-USB drive and testing with that.
    Also try a different browser, say Falkon browser which is supposedly a light-weight browser.
    You see normal CPU and disk usage during this high temp?

ReidenXerx
    Participant

linux drivers on our subject is so ugly! Artifacts on screen in random moments, 1080p video lagging sometimes, not really good wifi signal. Tested:

ubuntu – last version for now

lunix mint 19.1 cinnamon

dipin (for install on our subject need replace his uefi loader files on same files from ubuntu distribution)

elementary os

thx linux developers for these super drivers for our device

P.S. In windows all is perfect

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password