WARNING: No thermal pads at all on the EzBook 3 plus

WARNING: No thermal pads at all on the EzBook 3 plus

TechTablets Forums Jumper Discussion EZBook series WARNING: No thermal pads at all on the EzBook 3 plus

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Francesco
    Participant

As the title says, the temps of my brand new 3 plus were bad, really bad, it went from 40 to 100 C in a blink of an eye during any benchmark, or to 90 during simple internet browsing.

After opening it for the modding (i already had in mind to do so) i discovered that there were no thermal pads at all, the core-M was simply leaning against the copper heatsink, keep this in mind if you plan to buy one.

After the mod+undervolting temps during a stress benchmark are around 70-72 and the system enters power limit throttling way before going into thermal throttling.

Chupa
    Participant

I always wondered why use thermal pads between the processor and copper heatsink. Would it not make a lot more sense instead of replacing the pads with, also copper, shimmies to just make sure the copper heatsink directly touches the processor and then use heat transfering paste instead?

Need Help?
    1981 soldered my first Sinclair computer 1K, tapedeck * 1984 build and sold IBM clones 8Mhz, 512K, 20MB HDD * 2018 messing with ultrabooks

Francesco
    Participant

it sure makes sense, the probem was that nothing was used, no paste or pad.

If i had some paste i would have probably used that, i guess that it`s cheaper and easier for the manufacturer to use a thermal pad

EZB3PlusOwner
    Participant

Mine has a thin thermal pad on the CPU, but still went to 100 C in the mprime benchmark before I’ve put a thermal pad between the heatsink and the bottom cover.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar