X98 Air III 2/64G dual boot, just in today :)

X98 Air III 2/64G dual boot, just in today :)

TechTablets Forums Teclast Forums General Discussion X98 Air III 2/64G dual boot, just in today :)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    bun
    Participant

Ordered from Banggood 10/11, received today 10/24, not bad, 13 days waiting.  Banggood threw away the original package, and use their own packing; it felt used, I mean, you missed the shrink wrap excitement.  Also ordered from Gearbest 1st, waited for 6 days, nothing.  Order cancelled, and go to Banggood.

It came with the tablet, USB adapter with US plug, OTG cable

The tablet itself is a real beauty.  It came w a nice placed screen protector; install such a large screen protector is not an easy job.  thanks banggood (or teclast?); even crossed the pacific ocean and 13 days late, tablet booted with 82 % battey left, not bad.  Booted to a menu, choose Window or Android.

Android:

Boot time 48 sec, if change from window it becomes 68 sec.   It came with somebody’s stuff, the tester or ?  Anyway, you do not get to or need to  go thru the android startup screen.  I do not like that at all.  Oh, well.  It came with android 5.0, Model X98 Air III(M5C6), Build no V1.01_20150915.  It is default to English(US) with some chinese apps. Well, that saved some trouble of change the default language.  After a couple of apps installed, space left behind 14.3G and 804 MB Ram.  The tablet is not rooted 🙁  .  It came with some bloatware, you need root to get rid of them.  Kodi ran silk smooth, no stuttering/hiccup; streaming video is fantastic, you cannot tell it is streaming, just as if native i.e., media stays in storage.  nice.  Of course, a screen of resolution  2048 X 1536, DPI 320, made this an absolute spoil for watching video, a stunning beauty.  Internet video open instantly, no waiting or buffering encountered.  Wow.  Google play store/google now are there and works fine.  BT works fine. Antutu benchmark attached.  The top performer Samsung galaxy note5 runs 70,000 and this little baby strolling at 30,000.

I do not see any app to switch from android to window.  So, one has to turn off the tablet to switch system.

Window:

Boot time 24 seconds; it came with win 10 home, 32 bit OS, activated, with support phone number/online listed in “About”, interesting.  It booted to win 10; everything works, did not encounter any problem.  Wifi dropped once, did not happen again; Kodi runs smooth like silk except a few channels, known to have problem with their installation, like PBS, but one can down grade to SD, problem solved.  Again streaming video and audio are fantastic.  Something I did not quite get used to yet, my HDTV screen runs 1920 X1080, which is actually a bit lower than this mobile native screen of 2048 X 1536. Nice.  I use window extended display, and watching Kodi TV while using the tablet native screen to do computer work.  A BT keyboard w mouse pad runs handy.  I use a micro HDMI and a reg HDMI, no problem, instant running straight from the box.  BT connect works fine.

Did not get to try WIDI, await connector.

Tasks to do with tablet before anything else:

1. make a backup (still trying to figure out…)

2. install antivirus in window OS

3. Go system/Display/Orientation – lock rotation of display, switch it to off to enable gravity sensor.

4. Install the “Programs” button that win8/10 took it from me, right click anywhere at the black border of the screen, Toolbars>New toolbar…>Folder: type “%ProgramData%\Microsoft\<wbr />Windows\Start Menu\Programs” without the quotation, click Select Folder, tada, here comes your “programs” button, just like in the old day window 98 or win 2k.   I do not claim credit to this program button, I copied from someone.

After a couple of simple programs installed, space available is 25.2 G

I do not see an icon to switch from Win to Android either.

Enjoy,

Post if questions,

bun

Window:

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    bun
    Participant

anyone know how to root this beauty, android 5.0 and dual boot?  TIA,

bun

Chris G
    Keymaster

Have thanks for the post, I’m not too sure I will get this one as my days are looking at Bay Trail Atom’s are numbered with all the new Cherry Trail units now out or coming in the next month or so. I might do to review it or at least cover it in some video reviews.

Would you be able to take some photos of it and from the side, interested to see if it really is the P98 metal housing or new one.

As for root, try using the two root tools from the downloads section: http://techtablets.com/downloads-drivers-roms/

Chris | Admin
    Please support us and help keep TechTablets online. Affiliate revenue is used to pay for the server, studio apartment (Techtablets HQ) and buy new tech to review. Without it, this site would be dead.
    Next up for review:
    Ordered and waiting for my: BMAX S15 & Teclast F6 Plus
    Currently testing: LG G8X & Redmi K30

Noam
    Participant

Thank you so much!

Ordered one about two weeks ago from gearbest – they never shipped it, so I canceled and ordered from banggood, and they shipped it withtin 5 hours – and the tracking number showed that the post office already got it. love banggood – gearbest suck recently… I also have an order of a OnePlus 2 from them which I bought for 337USD with a coupon mistake they did and still they didn’t ship it…

No 5.1 update? only 5.0?

thanks alot for the post, fun to read, makes the wait for it more hard 😉

bun
    Participant

Oh well, I am not loyal to either Gearbest or Banggood, but at least Banggood shipped.  I have no idea what is wrong with Gearbest, they are supposed to be the authorized dealer.  I too ordered from them 1st, waited for 6 days, absolutely no action still “…in process”.  I cancelled it and ordered from Banggood, it shipped after 5 days.  And in the past, it takes forever to go across Pacific, at least 20 days or so, this time, took 22 hours!  From China post to USA 22 hrs!  Just like sending a letter.  Wow.  Anyhow, I got it in 13 days.  Very happy about it.  One little gripe, it was full of stuff, not sure it is being test by the tester, or actually, used.  Any how, the item looked very new, no scratch or anything, but it is not shrink wrapped.  and it is not going thru, setting up your own account so and so forth, and keeps on flagging security flaw, “…someone is trying to fake your web address…”, usually I dont give a damn about this thing, they are so harmless.  But not this time, as it refused to load your gmail account, cause they cannot load the “https://…&#8221;.   Notice the letter “s”, without the https, gmail and a lot of things refuse to load!!! I did a lot of things, use several different browser, reboot, delete accounts, erase this, erase that, reset administrator, I did not know which actions fixxed, it finally did not flag any more.  Now, I hope you understand why I am not a friend of “not shrink wrapped”.   Hope you are better luck.  But I will probably shop with Banggood as a last resort.  If Banggood reading this, I want to know why there are stuff in a tablet I bought suppose to be brand new and why the browser cannot load “https//”.  I am not technically savvy enough to understand it but really piss about buying a new item, but not new.  And if anybody know, can I reset the tablet by putting to factory conditions on the android, will it cause any problem, or should I?  How about the window OS, how do i reset the Window?  Or am I thinking too much?  Anyway, I am happy with the tablet, but I am not happy with its conditions.  I worry about identity thief or trojan 🙁 , Or am I crazy?

Oh, well, here are more pics.  Enjoy,

bun

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Noam
    Participant

banggood only takes it out of the original package thats it… this is a bug that teclast responsible of… your tablet is brand new. you can always ask and they will leave the original box.

thanks for the pics!

can you check for me in the android department – is there an update to android 5.1? there is an teclast update app… thanks!

Mark
    Participant

Hi, how is the battery life ?  Are you happy with wifi signal and internet browsing ? thanks.

bun
    Participant

@Noam: where is the teclast update app?  There is a chinese User Menu, and inside there is a button for teclast air 3g update, click on it “undiscover update version”.  I guess it means there is no update.  Cannot seem to find any update button for air III.  Surprise, there is no update button on the “About” tab.

@Mark
    : been using it for just browsing, nothing special, after 2 hrs use, battery remains85%, “… approx 7 hrs left….”; 2 days use, experienced wifi drop 2X.  Not sure it is the tablet or accident.  Otherwise, it runs fast and everything is eye blinking.

For the time being, in 2 days, still fall in love with it, mainly because of the stunning screen resolution and video streaming.   Have not been able to find anything irritating yet, except the “https://&#8221; bug, which seemed to be gone forever.  Will see how it goes after honeymoon phase 🙂

bun

Mark
    Participant

Many thanks Bun

Noam
    Participant

LOL

Thank you bun! hopefully teclast will take care of this tablet and give it an updates

bun
    Participant

Just like any honeymoon, I am still in love with this beauty; I have been sleeping with this thing for 2 days, play with it till I fall to sleep (I did ask my wife to sleep a bit to the edge of bed and give “us” some room, and be careful not give the tablet a kick when in dream, HA!); I already have a bluetooth flying mouse keyboard with a mouse pad, works pretty good; I am still looking for a BT keyboard with protective folio, and I will be ready to take this beauty to trip.  I am also looking for a good WIDI adapter.  I prefer to use a WIDI adapter in hotel room, as it is usually longer in distance than a 9 ft HDMI cable.  Any suggestion of a good WIDI adapter that does not cost an arm and a leg?  I kind of thinking getting this one, http://www.amazon.com/Doubtless-Bay-Dongle-Media-Streaming/dp/B00NFEQISQ/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1445918815&sr=8-11&keywords=widi+adapter

please chim in, TIA,

bun

bun

bun
    Participant

It has the teclast time bug 🙁 .  I have set clock several times in 2 days, both window and android.  will look it up see how to fix it.

bun

Albert Lyubarsky
    Participant

Thanks for your post.

Is this tablet thicker than X98 3G  model?

I just don’t trust published spec. :

X98 3G – 7.4mm
    X98 Pro – 7.9mm
    X98 III – 8 mm

(from banggood)

bun
    Participant

air iii is 8 mm thick.

wifi drop at least once upon turn on, stays on till another reboot. strange

time change every day, annoying

bun

bun
    Participant

Very upset, probably will put this thing to shelf 🙁 , there is no HDMI menu to zoom the display to full on android 5.0!  there is always black border on all 4 sides.  I am a media nut.  I use tablet to watch media 99% of the time.  So will not use android for video.  Disappoint and upset.   Will only stick to window.  So far, problems

1. wifi dropped when ever reboot
    2. clock erred once a day
    3. android 5.0 cannot adjust TV

My Pipo X8, dual boot, 7 inch does not have any of the above problems.  Oh well, you gain some, you lose some.   Hope 5.1 update came will fix this.  Wrote to Teclast support, no answers yet

bun

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password