Hibook USB port power issue, cannot run 2.5" external hdd's

Hibook USB port power issue, cannot run 2.5" external hdd's

TechTablets Forums Chuwi Forums Chuwi HiBook Discussion Hibook USB port power issue, cannot run 2.5" external hdd's

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    Chris G
    Keymaster

Hi all,

Does anyone have this issue that is really bugging me? My HiBook will not power any 2.5″ hard drives I have. Nothing works, are you affected by this? If not can you please post your serial number (Blank out the last 2 digits) or your bios version. I have a feeling it might be only the first batch that is affected by this problem.

Chris | Admin
    Please support us and help keep TechTablets online. Affiliate revenue is used to pay for the server, studio apartment (Techtablets HQ) and buy new tech to review. Without it, this site would be dead.
    Next up for review:
    Ordered and waiting for my: BMAX S15 & Teclast F6 Plus
    Currently testing: LG G8X & Redmi K30

Andy B
    Participant

Chris, I have JUST purchased one of these and the keyboard dock.  I will be able to test mine whenever it gets here (1-2 weeks?) Which ports have you tried?  The USB on the keyboard?  Someone in the comments of your YouTube vid was able to charge their MP3 player, but didn’t have a 2.5″ drive to test.

I think you should use this program to analyze your USB device’s power draws, etc: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html

I just plugged a self-powered USB 3.0 backup drive into my gaming tower and ran the utility.  Double-click the item you want to see more info about.  It shows that it’s drawing 144ma.  Even copying files, it didn’t draw any more power.  My LED gaming mouse and my standard multimedia keyboard (HP model 5189) both seem to draw 100ma.

Also, have you checked the Windows event viewer for errors or warnings?

Edit: I guess if you can’t power the drive, nothing will show up in the utility.  But maybe you can glean some other information from it?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Philippians 2:4 Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others.

NB
    Participant

Hi Chris

I should hopefullt be getting my hibook in the post by Monday 16/05/2016, I will test it when it arrives connecting usb 2 and usb 3 devices, hopefully will repot back when this is done.

Chris G
    Keymaster

@anakimana I have a second HiBook arriving, I’ll check that one too for the issue and look into it in more depth with USB devices, thanks for the tip.

Chris | Admin
    Please support us and help keep TechTablets online. Affiliate revenue is used to pay for the server, studio apartment (Techtablets HQ) and buy new tech to review. Without it, this site would be dead.
    Next up for review:

Andy B
    Participant

Hi Chris I should hopefullt be getting my hibook in the post by Monday 16/05/2016, I will test it when it arrives connecting usb 2 and usb 3 devices, hopefully will repot back when this is done.

@NB Did you test yours with USB hard drives yet? I still don’t have mine yet.

Philippians 2:4 Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others.

NB
    Participant

No, not yet, I need a usb type c to usb female adapter to do, I will need to order one, I couldn’t test the keyboard USB’s either as the keyboard hasn’t shipped from gearbest for whatever reason.

Alwin van der brugge
    Participant

@anakimana I have a second HiBook arriving, I’ll check that one too for the issue and look into it in more depth with USB devices, thanks for the tip.

Any idea when it will be arriving? Looking to buy either a Hibook or an iwork10 ultimate and waiting for your review to determine which one I’ll get.

NB
    Participant

There is a big deal breaker for me for this tablet and that is the weak Wi-Fi signal, I can not use the tablet in my lounge about 10 meters away.

I also have a buig issue with the tablet that I have received with dust in between the screen and the digitised which is pretty distracting.

So I am deliberating whether I should exchange this tablet for a Teclast x98 plus 3g.

Chris G
    Keymaster

I have the second unit same issue. The ports on the keyboard will not power my Toshiba 2.5″ HDD. But it seems the USB type-C with an adaptor will, but only USB 2 mode (white light) My guess is the type-c also runs at USB 2 speeds like the Hi8 Pro and Vi8 Plus.

@nbat58
    Yes, Wifi signal is poor and weaker than my iwork10 Ultimate. The ultimate has its aerial behind plastic for good signal strength, but the Chuwi uses metal all around. That and the better screen (less air gap) and active pen support, I can already see the Cube iwork10 Ultimate is the better machine, despite the speaker placement and slower charging. 5volt 2.5A on the Cube. 5v 3A on the Chuwi via type-c.

Chris | Admin
    Next up for review:

Alwin van der brugge
    Participant

I have the second unit same issue. The ports on the keyboard will not power my Toshiba 2.5″ HDD. But it seems the USB type-C with an adaptor will, but only USB 2 mode (white light) My guess is the type-c also runs at USB 2 speeds like the Hi8 Pro and Vi8 Plus. @nbat58 Yes, Wifi signal is poor and weaker than my iwork10 Ultimate. The ultimate has its aerial behind plastic for good signal strength, but the Chuwi uses metal all around. That and the better screen (less air gap) and active pen support, I can already see the Cube iwork10 Ultimate is the better machine, despite the speaker placement and slower charging. 5volt 2.5A on the Cube. 5v 3A on the Chuwi via type-c.

Ah bummer, the Hibook is a lot cheaper (188 dollars with keyboard vs 217 dollars with keyboard)  but oh well, good to know. Means I’ll focus on getting the Cube

Andy B
    Participant

I have the second unit same issue. The ports on the keyboard will not power my Toshiba 2.5″ HDD. But it seems the USB type-C with an adaptor will, but only USB 2 mode (white light) My guess is the type-c also runs at USB 2 speeds like the Hi8 Pro and Vi8 Plus. @nbat58 Yes, Wifi signal is poor and weaker than my iwork10 Ultimate. The ultimate has its aerial behind plastic for good signal strength, but the Chuwi uses metal all around. That and the better screen (less air gap) and active pen support, I can already see the Cube iwork10 Ultimate is the better machine, despite the speaker placement and slower charging. 5volt 2.5A on the Cube. 5v 3A on the Chuwi via type-c.

Ah bummer, the Hibook is a lot cheaper (188 dollars with keyboard vs 217 dollars with keyboard) but oh well, good to know. Means I’ll focus on getting the Cube

I was just reading the Cube iwork10 Ultimate product page questions and one customer asked if the USB ports could power a 2.5″ drive. Cube answered no. See below, copied from their page:

From <b>Laurent Mehlen</b> at <span class=”date”>4/26/16 12:09 PM</span>

<li class=”question”>

Hi,is there one of the 2 usb ports which delivers enough current to connect an external 2,5″ hard disk drive without extra power?If this doesn´t work, are the USB ports on the keyboerd delivering enough current for an external 2,5″ hard disk drive without extra power?Hpe this works, then I will buy one.

<li class=”reply”>

Cube Tablet:
      Thank you for your mail.
      Sorry but our Cube Tablet has not released this model support that at present.

Chris G
    Keymaster

My Cube iwork10 Ulitmate powers 2.5″ drives. But the USB 3.0 ports only seems to run at USB 2.0 still much better than only the type-c port like this Chuwi HiBook.

Chris | Admin
    Next up for review:

NB
    Participant

Thansk for the update Chris, it is a shame that the keybord USB’s don’t work with an external hard drive and the USB 3.1 only works as USB 2 type mode, do you think it would be a straight forward process to get the Chuwi Hibook returned to GearBest for exchange?

I am wondering whether this is the reason I havn’t recieved the keyboard, GearBest are telling me they’re on back order, maybe they’re trying to fix the USB issues?

I am thinking to maybe get the Teclast X98 plus 3g instead, hopefully the wifi capability will be better, I don’t game otherwise I would be considering the X98 pro, however I am put off by the heating issues with this model.

Andy B
    Participant

I’m looking forward to getting mine delivered so I can analyze the hardware. It sounds like something a firmware patch could fix…

NB
    Participant

Just for info to put the record straight, my screen issue was not dust behind the glass but a second screen protector applied by the manufacturer, this was very difficult to see and remove, however when this was done there was no dust to be seen, thank you Andy Blakely for pointing this out in another post.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar