add a full size usb port on x98 pro

add a full size usb port on x98 pro

TechTablets Forums Teclast Forums X98 Pro Forum add a full size usb port on x98 pro

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    idris
    Participant

Whilst doing the thermal mod i noticed some solder tags on the motherboard labelled +,-,D+ and D-. Being the same as that used in USB, i decided to connect my pend drive to it and lo and behold, it worked. This then naturally led to the permanent addition of a full size USB port on my X98 pro.

I can confirm that it works reliably whilst using USB pen drives providing the bonus of leaving the OTG/charge port free for other peripherals. Also it does power my 1TB non-SSD HDD (not solid state) directly without the need for external 5V supply; however, struggles when you demand too much of it i.e. transfer multiple files (i get the dreaded black screen and the tablet dies for a while) . I have had it power my USB hub, keyboard, mouse and USB key with the port without any power issues.

take a look at my pics of you want to see where i placed the ports. its easy enough really.

also on another note…i replaced the existing speakers for iPhone 5 loudspeaker module as they have the same impedance; however, this didn’t result in any improvement in audio quality …perhaps i will try it with the Microsoft surface audio drivers as others have suggested.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    ARnold
    Participant

Great thing…but there is no chance to get a USB3-Port by this mod, isn’t it?

Chris
    Participant

nice job, a shame it doesn’t come like this already

Michiel
    Participant

Very nice mod! Can someone check if the Air III has this also?

Chris G
    Keymaster

Nice mod, I was thinking the same adding a memory stick in there. But not going as far as a full sized USB 2.0 port. Looks good, I hope Teclast will add this to the next model. All tablets need a full sized port.

Chris | Admin
    Please support us and help keep TechTablets online. Affiliate revenue is used to pay for the server, studio apartment (Techtablets HQ) and buy new tech to review. Without it, this site would be dead.
    Next up for review:
    Ordered and waiting for my: BMAX S15 & Teclast F6 Plus
    Currently testing: LG G8X & Redmi K30

BBaker
    Participant

Can the system boot from a drive connected to it? Does the BIOS permit that?

idris
    Participant

yes, reinstalled windows and updated the bios using the newly added port. didnt encounter any issues

Milosz
    Participant

nice…how long take U all process adding USB?

Jamie Brahm
    Participant

They really do. At minimum, if you want to hybrid the device as a desktop, you need a seperate charging port, and another port for a hub, ideally USB 3.0, but 2.0 would do okay. Charging via a charging hub requires massive amps, and still loses charge most of the time – it doesn’t work to truely turn your tablet into a long term desktop with longevity. For that you absolutely need two ports.

Windows is supposed to be a hybrid OS, and has massive peripheral support – So really, every single windows capable tablet should have 1 microUSB 1 full sized USB.

If I did this mod, not that I could, I’d be tempted to throw a really big USB stick in there – but then you lose your hybrid ability. Which is the other things every windows tablet should have (possibly every tablet), the ability to add a larger storage internally ssd, usb flash drive etc.

What would be kick ass is if:

1. Every windows m-core came with 1) laptop RAM slots, and 2) an upgradable SSD, fully modular like a laptop (because core m can do up to 16gb of ram, and handle ssd, it could be fully up to the user what to throw in it) (and 3, a full size usb port for hubs)
    2. Every windows cherry trail or similar had (perferably 4gb of ram too) 1) Full sized USB 3.0 2) Sharing the usb 3.0 bandwidth – 1x internal USB, with space for a flash drive where you could jam in large thumb drives like 128, 256GB or 512GB, ontop of your 64-128 microSD card and 64-128 internal drive (so more like slim laptop space to play with)

This way every windows tablet could play laptop, or desktop. And there would be that upgradability, that modularity that laptop’s have so you could pimp out your cherry trail with a 512 flash drive, or your core-m with 16GB of ram and a 1gb SSD.

Expensive, but a lot cheaper than it would cost in a premium western brand, out of the box, and gives your device more future, something tablets struggle to achieve (they become dead old within 2 years). Throw in some really good cooling mod kits, and some light overclocking etc…

As for speakers, I had this PC speaker kit once that had a single flat speaker that vibrated across this whole flat surface – it was treble but was very responsive. A concept like that would be interesting to see in practice, a large flat trebble speaker across the blacking.

Jamie Brahm
    Participant

I imagine there are quite a lot of tablets with spare USB on the board, yeah? Even if there wasn’t perhaps you could turn one into a two port hub…

Shame this requires some basic electronics skill, because honestly I am in love with the idea of adding a flash drive inside a tablet, or extending the ports or even both.

If there was someone I could pay to do this for me, I’d probably do that.

idris
    Participant

its very easy to do actually, the solder pads for the USB data and power are large enough to used a standard soldering iron tip if your careful. filing the aluminum case took all of ten mins, i did have to cut some of of the plastic on the back of the screen  to allow the case to fit properly, just use a sharp blade for that.

easy mod in my opinion but you do lose your warranty and given the poor build quality of the tablet, you never know when you need to return for warranty purposed.

Agogohome Agogohome
    Participant

nice job, a shame it doesn’t come like this already

Someone obviously had the idea in mind when they designed the board… but manufacturers do like to spoon feed features to keep sales up. LOL

Agogohome Agogohome
    Participant

Great thing…but there is no chance to get a USB3-Port by this mod, isn’t it?

A micro USB C socket would be a future proof addition. Every new device will have those soon… and some have already.

Bjorn Muller
    Participant

Regarding the need for a separate charging port, this, in my view, applies to all tablets, whether to be used as desktops or not. I am probably the only one who doesn´t  know the answer to this already, but why did the the good old charging jack get completely lost? I last saw it on my Voyo Winpad A1 Mini, which I love for this jack, but is otherwise too small for me.

Samuel Kwok
    Participant

Pretty cool, it reminds me when the EEE701 came out and people were modding bluetooth and USB drives in there.

Maybe I will mod a Microsd reader and make Windows see it as permanent storage. http://www.etcwiki.org/wiki/Cfadisk_usb_driver

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar