add a full size usb port on x98 pro

add a full size usb port on x98 pro

TechTablets Forums Teclast Forums X98 Pro Forum add a full size usb port on x98 pro

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    sicicom
    Participant

It would be cool if there´s an USB lte modem small enought to fit in the cavity

digidog
    Participant

I haven’t mine opened up yet. How much space is there up top where the plastic space in case is ?

Thinking of installing a small  5 GHz WiFi module to this spare USB header.

You can get pretty small USB ones and if broken down to remove case and USB plug, i’m guessing the PCB in these would be tiny enough to slip in somewhere and wire directly to this header.

Inbuilt 2.4 GHz  basically renders Bluetooth useless due to interference, so WiFi at 5 GHz would be good mod if feasible.

But for best signal, it would be need to be up top in plastic section to get through shielded case.

Bjorn Muller
    Participant

Regarding the need for a separate charging port, this, in my view, applies to all tablets, whether to be used as desktops or not. I am probably the only one who doesn´t know the answer to this already, but why did the the good old charging jack get completely lost? I last saw it on my Voyo Winpad A1 Mini, which I love for this jack, but is otherwise too small for me.

It seems nobody understood that this was a cry for help. There must be a reason why nobody builds charging jacks into their tablets anymore. Does anyone know?

Jamie Brahm
    Participant

Because you need a plug for a whole load of different countries. Still they should have a seperate charging port!

Bjorn Muller
    Participant

I think you may confuse the 5 V DC plug with the AC charger´s wall plug. The DC plug comes with the charger. But thanks for your support for the need for a separate charging port.

Samuel Kwok
    Participant

I did similar mod but with a tiny MicroSD reader.

It works until it goes to sleep.  After I wake it, it won’t show the SD card.

• Card reader still in Device Manager
    • Card reader still in Disk Management but shows “no media”

Restarting the computer will show the MicroSD Card again.

Do you run into this problem with your full port mod?

Samuel Kwok
    Participant

I did similar mod but with a tiny MicroSD reader. It works until it goes to sleep. After I wake it, it won’t show the SD card.

• Card reader still in Device Manager
    • Card reader still in Disk Management but shows “no media”

Restarting the computer will show the MicroSD Card again. Do you run into this problem with your full port mod?

I solved it, it was the card reader that was the problem.  I used another model and it wakes up fine.

George
    Participant

Hi,

very good mod; but could you also supply the wiring diagram please ?

Thanks and Merry Xmas

george

Marco
    Participant

When i can buy one of this usb port? i try to found this in internet, please help me

William
    Participant

Can anyone confirm if this is capable at 3.0 speeds or is the header only a 2.0 slot?  If I understand correctly the micro usb does run at 3.0 speeds, will the added port do the same.

Jonathan
    Participant

Marco, this is a modification that you would perform yourself. I doubt you’ll find a unit for sale with this modification done allready.

William, the signals listed by the OP were D+, D- and +- (which I’m assuming is VBus/GND), this implies USB 2.0 since USB3.x super speeds employ an extra pair of differential signals. I could be wrong but I think the micro port is USB 2.0 only.

Bjorn, If you want an extra vote for the addition of a power port on tablets then you have it. I dimly recall reading  something about the Chinese government making a rule requiring devices to support USB charging, maybe this is the issue?

idris
    Participant

marco: i got my male usb port from an old usb extension cable , i am sure pcb mount versions are available at places like ebay…..just make that it is straight header port and not 90 degree.

jonathan is right there is no way this will work at usb3 speeds …as there are only two data lines…usb3 requires more

also the micro usb port only operates at usb2 speeds.

somebody else asked for a pin out or diagram …..there is nothing to it really. the solder tabs were clearly labelled on my pcb at least so i am assuming others will be the same. just match up the pins to the solder tabs on the pcb, a quick google search for ‘usb pinout’ will give you all the info you need.

Jonathan
    Participant

Idris,

First and foremost well done on the mod!

When you say “male usb port ” surely you mean female though?

I have to say that I personally wouldn’t have used ribbon cable for this, especially with the proximity of the cable to the speakers. IMHO twisted pair taken from a USB cable would have been a better choice for D+/D-. But what you’ve done clearly works so what the hell 🙂

By the way, I’d be wary of using two bus powered devices at once, it’s possible the power supply wasn’t designed for this.
    ——

If anyone gets really stuck for connectors then mouser.com and farnell.com both stock more bare connectors than you can shake a stick at.

Just for completeness, the pinout information (taken from Wikipedia):
    Pin 1 +5 V, red wire
    Pin 2 Data− white wire
    Pin 3 Data+ green wire
    Pin 4 Ground black wire
    See also the picture attachment.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    idris
    Participant

jonathan. apologies i meant female.

your right regarding power hungry devices….works okay with peripherals such as simultaneously using a mouse, keyboard and memory stick via a bus powered hub but with something like my solid state hdd i have to ensure i have only one or two applications running whilst in use. otherwise the tablet shuts down.

this means the port is somewhat limited to low power devices only

Roibeard
    Participant

I installed a Logitech unity usb inside my tablet.  I now can use a Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse on my tablet.  Keyboard even works in bios.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password