Battery degrading?

Battery degrading?

TechTablets Forums Cube Forums Cube Thinker Battery degrading?

This topic contains 18 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Tibor 10 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Kyle Battle
    Participant

Hi all, I’ve been using my Thinker i35 a lot more over the past few months and thought I noticed a slow degradation in battery performance, ie when running on battery it seemed to be dying unusually fast with every use.  I decided to run a little test, installing BatteryBar and letting it run undisturbed while showing a video with no other unnecessary apps/processes running.  I have the screen brightness at 75%, Bluetooth is not on, and in Windows the power plan is set to Balanced.  In fact under the Windows battery icon I set the Power mode slider a little left of center for “better battery”.

I fully recharged the battery so I’m starting at 100%.  Now according to Windows I should have ~4hrs 30 min run time, but BatteryBar says more like 45 minutes!  I’m seeing Discharge rates of ~-6800 mW in BatteryBar while the PC is idling, but when I’ve got a YouTube video playing in Edge the discharge rate jumps up to ~-10,000 mW (again this is with nothing else running).  I see the same discharge rate using Opera.  And sure enough, the Thinker only ran for about 50 minutes until it shut down due to loss of power.

Anyone else noticing this behavior or close to it?

Hualalai
    Participant

Sorry to say… the LiPo technology used in Cube devices seems to have changed for the worse.

Chris G
    Keymaster

Doesn’t sound right at all. I’m getting around 4 hours out of mine still, the screen at 75% brightness is a huge drain. I run it much lower and it’s still bright. But 45 minutes only is crazy, something is wrong with the battery calibration or the cells itself.

Try to fully drain the battery, I mean fully. Keep powering it on till it no longer boots. Then let it charge overnight, this should recalibration the battery and then try it again. If not do a factory reset, a virus, malware or something is using the CPU and in turn battery life.

Chris | Admin
    Please support us and help keep TechTablets online. Affiliate revenue is used to pay for the server, studio apartment (Techtablets HQ) and buy new tech to review. Without it, this site would be dead.
    Next up for review:
    Ordered and waiting for my: Teclast X6 Pro, X4 and UMIDIGI S3 Pro
    Currently testing: FIMI X8 SE 4k drone, Chuwi Lapbook Pro & 2 x Lenovo laptops 🙂

Kyle Battle
    Participant

Thanks for that advice, Chris, I’m going to try that.  I’m sure this issue is related to what I found when I first got this machine.  Out of the box it wouldn’t boot up so I plugged it in & let it charge all day (no big deal I thought, battery is just exhausted).  Well, later that evening after booting up (on electrical power, still plugged in) I noticed Windows telling me “No battery is detected” when I hovered over the battery icon – yikes!  For a few days I played around with it, kept it plugged in when not using it, and finally that message went away and it charged/worked with battery power normally.  But for the past few weeks it’s gotten steadily weaker on battery.  I sent an email to Banggood on this too, let’s see what they say.

Chris G
    Keymaster

In that case, it sounds like the battery has some sort of issue. Must be a bad battery cell in there or something. What you describe is a dead giveaway when you first got it.

Chris | Admin
    Please support us and help keep TechTablets online. Affiliate revenue is used to pay for the server, studio apartment (Techtablets HQ) and buy new tech to review. Without it, this site would be dead.
    Next up for review:
    Ordered and waiting for my: Teclast X6 Pro, X4 and UMIDIGI S3 Pro
    Currently testing: FIMI X8 SE 4k drone, Chuwi Lapbook Pro & 2 x Lenovo laptops 🙂

Kyle Battle
    Participant

Yeah I was afraid of that.  Well Banggood is asking me if I want to replace the battery pack myself and they’ll pay the cost (but want to know what I’m buying first before they’ll pay for it).  I’m not sure what I want to do, might just sell the Thinker to a buyer that wants to do that themselves.  I don’t have any complaints about the laptop beyond the battery, I really love it – it’s a shame.

Kyle Battle
    Participant

I’ve decided to keep my Thinker by replacing the battery pack, but now don’t know where to buy one! I spent hours checking all manner of sites and specs but don’t think I found an acceptable replacement, let alone the correct one. I opened my unit and took the existing battery’s measurements and snapped this photo for reference.  But any search I’ve done – specifically for a Cube Thinker battery or just a generic part – has come up empty. I checked Aliexpress and tons of random websites through Google searches. I searched using variations of terms such as Li-polymer laptop replacement battery/Li-polymer laptop 5000mAh battery/Li-polymer laptop 7.6V battery/etc. but no luck! Can anyone recommend a site where I can find one?  And what should I look for, beyond Length x Width x Thickness dimensions and Volts/mAh/Watt-Hours? I’m assuming at the very least my replacement needs to match the original battery in these characteristics.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

airbites
    Participant

Make a bios reset and leave the bios turned on until the battery is discharged. Then recharge it fully without running until it is fully charged.

Kyle Battle
    Participant

Thx for your idea – interesting…what effect would a bios reset have in this case?  I’m open to all options at this point.  Thanks again.

airbites
    Participant

Sometimes Bios can read the battery wrong. But it can be guilty of being Windows 10, because the update spoils everything and their temetra.

Insert a screen shot from the Device Manager.

mjar
    Participant

I’ve decided to keep my Thinker by replacing the battery pack, but now don’t know where to buy one! I spent hours checking all manner of sites and specs but don’t think I found an acceptable replacement, let alone the correct one. I opened my unit and took the existing battery’s measurements and snapped this photo for reference. But any search I’ve done – specifically for a Cube Thinker battery or just a generic part – has come up empty. I checked Aliexpress and tons of random websites through Google searches. I searched using variations of terms such as Li-polymer laptop replacement battery/Li-polymer laptop 5000mAh battery/Li-polymer laptop 7.6V battery/etc. but no luck! Can anyone recommend a site where I can find one? And what should I look for, beyond Length x Width x Thickness dimensions and Volts/mAh/Watt-Hours? I’m assuming at the very least my replacement needs to match the original battery in these characteristics.

Did you happen to find a replacement? I find the idea of maybe replacing the battery for a higher capacity one interesting.

mjar
    Participant

In that case, it sounds like the battery has some sort of issue. Must be a bad battery cell in there or something. What you describe is a dead giveaway when you first got it.

Hi Chris, do you happen to know of any replacement batteries?

Kyle Battle
    Participant

Nope, no luck finding a replacement. It was hard for a couple of reasons, the first being that I don’t have any experience with laptop batteries so knowing exactly what to look for was tough. Second reason is I think the battery is probably specialized for the laptop in terms of dimensions- you can’t buy any battery pack off the shelf and expect you’re going to be able to slap it in. It has to fit the precise space the laptop designed the battery to fit in. Even if I could find Cube’s battery supplier I doubt they’d sell me a single unit :).

I sent my Thinker back to Banggood for replacement of the battery under warranty. Kudos to BG for standing behind their stuff.

Chupa
    Participant

regarding battery replacement, check the jumper forum

Need Help?
    1981 soldered my first Sinclair computer 1K, tapedeck * 1984 build and sold IBM clones 8Mhz, 512K, 20MB HDD * 2018 messing with ultrabooks

Kyle Battle
    Participant

regarding battery replacement, check the jumper forum

Thank you for this post, I’ve read through it and will remember for the future.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password