Bios/ Cmos Reset

Bios/ Cmos Reset

TechTablets Forums Jumper Discussion EZBook series Bios/ Cmos Reset

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 89 total)
  • Author
    Dirk
    Participant

Last week I received my Jumper Ezbook 2 (Second Batch). After I fixed the heat sink and touchpad I was very pleased with it. Unfortunately I changed some settings in the Bios for the integrated graphics card. Now my device won’t start up (Display and “jumper” logo doesn’t turn on). If I press the power button for 10+ seconds the first LED (from the left) will blink 1 time. If I press the power button again after that, the first LED will blink immediately 2 times.

I removed the battery connector internally for some hours but had no success. Is there anything I could to to reset the CMOS? I am currently trying to press the power button for 14 seconds and charge it for 6 hours (as mentioned in another thread), but have not many hopes.  Thank you!

Jonathan
    Participant

Dirk,

The BIOS settings are usually stored in the BIOS flash memory on devices like this, it doesn’t need to be powered to keep the settings so removing batteries achieves nothing useful.

Option 1: Use a flash programmer to erase and program the BIOS.

Option 2: Find someone who has this devices and get them to give you the sequence of keys to enter BIOS setup and restore the default settings. (Your device is probably still working without the display being active). You might find a video that you can use to figure it out if noone can/will help. A USB power meter will let you know if the device is on or off.

Depending on what you changed HDMI might still work.

Good luck,

Jon

Chris G
    Keymaster

Hi, please try HDMI as Jonathan mentioned. Otherwise, a blind reset to defaults could be possible if you have no HDMI. If that all fails, bios flashing. Unfortunately, I have no dump of this bios.

Also, what do you mean by fix the touchpad? Did you find a way to disabled the gestures, to make the settings save and stick?

Chris | Admin
    Please support us and help keep TechTablets online. Affiliate revenue is used to pay for the server, studio apartment (Techtablets HQ) and buy new tech to review. Without it, this site would be dead.
    Next up for review:
    Ordered and waiting for my: BMAX S15 & Teclast F6 Plus
    Currently testing: LG G8X & Redmi K30

Dirk
    Participant

Thank you for your answers Jon and Chris.

Unfortunately the HDMI output doesn’t work. But I assume the device is powered on, as it gets warm and I’m able to power it off by pressing the power button for a long time and turn it on again. On the other side the device won’t show up as WLAN device in my router, so I think it stops with an error message during boot. I will check the usb power with a mini usb fan later on this day.

I have ordered another Jumper Ezbook 2 for a friend. I’m trying to blind reset the bios of the device with the help of the new device and inform you about it. Hope it arrives soon.

@Chris
    : My Touchpad made “click” sounds everytime I touched (not pressed) it, which sounds cheap. I “fixed” it by putting some tape between the touchpad and the case.

Jonathan
    Participant

@Dirk, you’re welcome.

I have no doubt the device is powering on. When you get the second device you’ll be able to reset it blind without too much hassle. Just use the power meter to determiine when it is on/off if there’s no other obvious indicator and when you type do it very very slowly. Sometimes a bad setting can make the BIOS setup very slow to respond to keystrokes and it can miss them altogether if they come in too fast.

It’s likely that you can recover from EFI shell too if it comes to it, I’ll go through that if/when neccessary.

BTW: Have a care when playing with BIOS Setup on these cheap Chinese devices, there’s often at least one setting that will brick the device! Never change more than one setting between successful boots.

implode
    Participant

Can someone post photos of the all main bios screens (and specifically, last tab where save/reset settings are located)? And a screen which appears when you press Esc key during boot (where one can select boot device or efi shell).

I have my device powered on (USB power works) but the screen is blank (hdmi too). So I could possibly try to reset it blindly by pressing arrow keys specific number of times.

Jonathan
    Participant

@implode,

Out of interest did you change a setting or did it just stop working?

@Chris

I don’t like to add to your workload but if you could find the time during your tablet reviews to post a quick video of the BIOS setup it would probably help a lot of people resolving issues later on and be very much appreciated 🙂 That said I appreciate you might not be able to that and you already do a lot for us…

implode
    Participant

I did change some settings(at least those which I understood). As I replied to Chris in another thread, this BIOS is really terrible. They’ve obtained some generic dev image which is intended to be customized by proper manufacturer with 90% of incompatible settings removed. But instead they’ve flashed it as is.

Jonathan
    Participant

To me the BIOS  on this device doesn’t sound any worse than the other Chinese tablets. For example the Cube i9 initially  had an option to flash BIOS that bricked the tablet; the Chuwi Vi10 Pro gets bricked if you set the number of actives cores to 1…

None of them seem to have the capability to configure the BIOS properly.

implode
    Participant

I’ve never used chinese tablets/laptops before. Though I’ve used Insyde BIOS (UEFI) on brand laptops (like HP), and never had any problems – it’s impossible to brick them that way.

Dirk
    Participant

Sorry for my late reply. I received the EzBook Jumper 2 and another one for me in the meantime, hehe. Unfortunately it doesn’t work to reset the bios blind on my first bricked device. Do I have any other options?

Just as tip how to blind reset the bios on the EZBook Jumper 2:

1.) Power off the device (if not already) by holding the Power Button down for ~13 seconds until the first led blinks one time, then release.

2.) Press the power button again, the first led should blink two times now. Keep pressing ESC (Escape) for 30 seconds to open the front page (just in case any errors are displayed/ bootup is delayed). You can press ESC as long as you want, it doesn’t to anything on the front page.

3.) On the front page hit 5x DOWN CURSOR and then 1x ENTER to open the setup utiliy.

4.) Now hit 5x the RIGHT CURSOR to jump to the “Exit” page.

5.) Hit 3x DOWN CURSOR to goto “Load optimal defaults”.

6.) Hit 2x ENTER, as a confirmation box will shown with “yes” preselected.

7.) Hit 3x UP CURSOR to go up to “Exit Saving Changes”. Hit 2x ENTER. That’s it.

I have also attached screenshots of the main BIOS screens.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Jonathan
    Participant

Dirk, I don’t have the EZBook Jumper 2 so I can’t do what I’d like to: try a procedure out on my own h/w to check it works and is safe. But we can try some experiments if you’re game and you don’t hold me or the site owner responsible…

Can you boot into UEFI Shell on the good device?

Do you have a USB drive that flashes when you transfer data?

implode
    Participant

Blind walk didn’t help. I tried different delays.

I’m using mp3 player which constantly glows red while usb port is ON, so I can tell when the laptop is on or off, regardless of read/write activity.

I tried different recovery combos to initiate recovery mode (like Fn+Esc, Win+Esc, Fn+X, Win+X, etc) but none helped – laptop remained turned off.

TravelingTim Nouchi
    Participant

Dirk, what about using the F9 key after getting to the bios settings screen? Could you walk us through that? Also, is there any lag time between pressing the up, down, left, or right cursor keys?

Francesco
    Participant

<pre id=”tw-target-text” class=”tw-data-text tw-ta tw-text-small” dir=”ltr” data-placeholder=”Traduzione” data-fulltext=””><span lang=”en”>Hi, I also have problems with this handset . I have basically changed the settings from bios , and it will freeze .
    The notebook turns on , the lights are lit , I determine the power of the laptop via a USB fan, but the screen is always
    black . I tried the combination of keys blindly , but with no positive outcome . you can reprogram the BIOS via USB ?
    or maybe someone is kind enough to provide us a copy of your bios , so that we all can unlock this brick?
    It is wrong to give € 170 to the jumper , also because I contacted them via email requesting info on the bios , and if
    it was possible to have one on a file in order to unlock the handset , and they have not answered me .
    I await your answers / findings</span>

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 89 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password