Bios/ Cmos Reset

Bios/ Cmos Reset

TechTablets Forums Jumper Discussion EZBook series Bios/ Cmos Reset

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 90 total)
  • Author
    Jonathan
    Participant

Did you actually try communicating with the chip? The programmer you have doesn’t support 1.8V, that’s why you use the adaptor. The Q version is 2.7-3.6V whereas the LQ version is 1.8V. This might explain its absence from the list.

I’ll compare the datasheets…

Ricardo Simões
    Participant

Did you actually try communicating with the chip? The programmer you have doesn’t support 1.8V, that’s why you use the adaptor. The Q version is 2.7-3.6V whereas the LQ version is 1.8V. This might explain its absence from the list. I’ll compare the datasheets…

Yes I have the adaptor and yes I’ve tried to communicate with the listed GD25Q64.

If I try to blank the chip and it goes at 100% but when I click verify it says the chip is not blank 🙁

If I try to read the chip it stops at 14% and never goes beyond that.

If I try to write the chip the software hangs (I know I shouldn’t have done this but I was desperate… now I’m resignated)

Best regards
    Ricardo

Jonathan
    Participant

The blanking isn’t an issue, the chips sometimes have protected areas that won’t erase.

Writing will be very slow and uneven in speed because the programmer software will only program areas that have to be programmed, i.e. it will skip areas of the bin file that are 0xFF. The skipped bytes are fast the programmed bytes are slow.

I’ve compared the datasheets, there are differences but I don’t think they should be show stoppers. (Security register access will likely not be compatible, but shouldn’t be needed; writing times are slower on the LQ variant but the programmer should be polling a status bit to check for completion; there’s a high performance setting on the Q variant that might cause issues if the programmer is using high speed modes, but it should be doing that; there’s a driver strength setting on the Q variant that could be an issue though).

Before giving up I would double check the programming boards are connected correctly and try again, giving it plenty of time.
    The communication protocol is pretty dumb, there are no inbuilt checks to make sure commands are received correctly or data is read out correctly etc. so the stalling is odd.
    The connection to the chip can be flaky, it needs to be on a desk or sturdy surface and you might need a few attempts.

Ricardo Simões
    Participant

Ok Jonathan, thanks for your info, I’ll try one last time later next week and report back with the final result.

Best regards
    Ricardo

Ricardo Simões
    Participant

Jonathan sorry for the delay… I’ve tried once again to flash it, and I even setup a new PC to do it. I installed Windows 10, which BTW recognizes the programmer pretty well using the Win7 driver.

I repeated the all process again, this time it went fast but… still the same problems: erase goes all to 100% but verify says it’s not… I erase again, didn’t do verify this time and write the new BIOS file, and this time it went to 100% (by that time I was almost jumping with joy), then I did verify and again it says it’s not the same 🙁

Repeated all without the verify, turned the laptop on, and… still black screen and blue power light :((((

It’s seems strange that erase and write goes to 100% with no problem, but verify always says the contents are different… it’s as if the chip was in “read-only” mode or something like that.

So it’s definitely dead, and my initial advise still stands: DON’T CHANGE ANY VALUES IN BIOS OR YOU RISK BRICKING YOUR EZBOOK!!!

Best regards
    Ricardo

Jonathan
    Participant

Ricardo, since your last post I’ve dug out the exact same chip you have and managed to verify that the programmer will work when using the GD25Q64 setting. I do also know how to interface with the chip and programmer directly using my own code so it should be sortable one way or another, even if I end up writing a programming utility myself that provides more information on what’s going wrong in your case.

First things first though, are you sure the clip is making contact with the chip and that you have the adaptors correctly connected? It isn’t enough to clip onto the chip sideways you have to mush it down onto the chip gently but firmly (being careful not to apply too much pressure). Ideally you should check the connections are good using a continuity tester if this is possible.

Have you removed all devices (SD card, USB devices etc.) from the laptop and disconnected the battery?

When connected properly you should be able to identify the chip with the programmer (Operate menu->Detect Chip). Can you get this far?

Ricardo Simões
    Participant

Ricardo, since your last post I’ve dug out the exact same chip you have and managed to verify that the programmer will work when using the GD25Q64 setting. I do also know how to interface with the chip and programmer directly using my own code so it should be sortable one way or another, even if I end up writing a programming utility myself that provides more information on what’s going wrong in your case. First things first though, are you sure the clip is making contact with the chip and that you have the adaptors correctly connected? It isn’t enough to clip onto the chip sideways you have to mush it down onto the chip gently but firmly (being careful not to apply too much pressure). Ideally you should check the connections are good using a continuity tester if this is possible. Have you removed all devices (SD card, USB devices etc.) from the laptop and disconnected the battery? When connected properly you should be able to identify the chip with the programmer (Operate menu->Detect Chip). Can you get this far?

All devices are disconnected, battery cable is disconnected, and like I said before the software does not auto detect the chip, I have to manually choose GD25Q64

I’ve tried many many times clip and unclip and the result is allways the same. NOTE: It’s quite easy to clip it since it fits properly.

Best regards
    Ricardo

Hasopeter
    Participant

<h6>Hello guys. Sorry for my english, Google translator. I have a good message. I was able to upload BIOS for Jumper 2. I went according to your procedures. But I picked the chip from the board and damaged it. I bought a new chip from Aliexpress. I flash BIOS and verified. Everything was OK. I attached the chip to the board and all is good. Perfect. Here are some pictures of my work. My chip 25LQ64CV1G. </h6>

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Paul M
    Participant

I just received ezbook 3 pro, latest one with ac-wifi AND samsung eMMC, which I bought for a friend’s teenage son.

I wanted to install linux so I was trying to get it to boot off USB and somehow I’ve accidentally disabled USB altogether. Now, Windows boots and the touchpad and the mouse works, and I can mash the ESC key to get into the UEFI/BIOS settings. However, the screen is very dim, and the keyboard doesn’t work. I’m disheartened there doesn’t appear to be a hot-key to reset the settings to default.

Argh!!!

Ahah. For some reason I tried plugging the USB keyboard into the right hand port, and this time I was able to get into the settings and reset to defaults. Screen brightness is restored. Thank deity for that!

tDev
    Participant

i did the same once. Solution to clear CMOS is to disconnect battery, push power button few times and reconnect again.

Now i have fully working elemenatry OS intsalled, it’s simple to do using this script http://linuxiumcomau.blogspot.com.es/2017/09/

Better don’t mess up with BIOS, it’s not adapted well 🙂

simi
    Participant

hi i need  help  for  thomson thbk 1   to reset bios because i dont have no display

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    hspank
    Participant

bricked mine a while ago, trying to change IGP settings.
    any chances to buy a flashed bios chip for the ezbook 2?
    it has a Insyde H2O UEFI Bios
    (INSYDE Corp. Jumperx.WT314.NFNIEEN02)

any chances to flash the bios from an external usb drive?

Insyde BIOS Recovery

more links:
    https://pastelink.net/fict

Jamahl
    Participant

Saved the BIOS of a working Jumper EZ Book 2 and flashed my bricked one. Working again.

Made a Flashkit in case someone else needing this.

DOWNLOAD

Mariusz
    Participant

Saved the BIOS of a working Jumper EZ Book 2 and flashed my bricked one. Working again. Made a Flashkit in case someone else needing this. DOWNLOAD

Hi could you send me a copy of this file? Download expires.

Carrie
    Participant

<span data-sheets-value=”{"1":2,"2":"Thank you for the detailed information. I have not tried programming bios yet since I am just learning. And so far it is difficult for me to do computer science assignment without help. So i am collecting as much information as i can to help me understand faster."}” data-sheets-userformat=”{"2":769,"3":{"1":0},"11":3,"12":0}”>Thank you for the detailed information. I have not tried programming bios yet since I am just learning. And so far it is difficult for me to do computer science assignment without help. So i am collecting as much information as i can to help me understand faster.</span>

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 90 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar