Chupa´s useful programs

Chupa´s useful programs

TechTablets Forums Jumper Discussion EZBook series Chupa´s useful programs

This topic contains 3 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chupa 1 year ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Chupa
    Participant

Brightness and Volume made easy again
    Chupa´s useful programs is a selection of programs I use to make life with a pc  especially a WINDOWS 10 pc easier.
    Where are the brightness buttons on most win 10 machines?
    Remember the good old times, when there were real media buttons and a fancy power switch?
    When you could change volume and brightness without looking where the buttons were?

They were on the cursor keys and you press fn and the cursors and the magic happened. If you were lucky you had a little window pop up  show you the percentage.

I tried several programs including key rerouting/programming but win 10 is quite resistant to these old helpers.
    Here is one from Germany, ClickMonitorDDC

It is portable, 1 exe and one generated xml
    Put it where you want
    Change things like I have in my screenshots and you have shift left/right for volume and shift up/down for brightness.
    (I changed to Ctrl and Shift and cursor keys because of interference with the commander.)
    You ca define the hotkeys you like.
    Tested on different computers and works well.

If you only need fast access to your brightness slider then look here

There is also Volbright what uses your  volume keys to adjust the brightness. I have it mentioned here before just can not find the link now.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Need Help?
    1981 soldered my first Sinclair computer 1K, tapedeck * 1984 build and sold IBM clones 8Mhz, 512K, 20MB HDD * 2018 messing with ultrabooks

Chupa
    Participant

Raising the speed limits

ThrottleStop from Techpowerup can do lots of tweaks to make your PC faster or run longer in turbo mode or slow it down.
    For the N3450 and similar processors there is a simple trick.
    Your processor is clocked normally around 1100 MHz and can speed up to double for less than a minute.
    To keep it running longer in turbo you need throttlestop and change the turbo time limit to a longer time.
    You find all the settings explained in Jumpers diary (link below) and in the Good News thread.
    I also use ThrottleStop to monitor my system permanently to see before I feel that the Jumper is getting hot to look out which program screws around. Sometime it is as simple as a bad designed website.

So ThrottleStop shows the actual MHz (slight wrong reading according to the programmer, but good enough) and the temp in my taskbar.
    The Screenshot is from an Atom processor, what can throttle the speed even more down than the Apollo lake.

Attachments:

Need Help?
    1981 soldered my first Sinclair computer 1K, tapedeck * 1984 build and sold IBM clones 8Mhz, 512K, 20MB HDD * 2018 messing with ultrabooks

Chupa
    Participant

Blocking all the spy crap and much more
    There is a bunch of useful programs, let´s start with ShutUp10

My setting is radical, everything is set on green, you might have different preferences and even use the free drive or other fancy free things.
    It is up to you how much you block, but be aware, after the initial blocking and rebooting check the next day again, windows likes to sneak things back in. Just block them too.
    After the blocking is done you can shut down the program, but if you on automatic update all, I would let it run in the background.

Attachments:

Need Help?

Chupa
    Participant

Surveilance

For me it is  important to now what my computer is doing, like why is my internet so slow (some program is doing something without telling me)
    in what shape is my battery, memory still good or does the computer use paging much, did anything installed any program without asking me first (that why I ditched IE for good and went to opera last millennium).

For years one of the first things I install is  Bitmeter 2.
    It sits permanently on top of all windows in the top right corner in see through and click through mode.
    It monitors the up and download speed, so I see in a moment when some program does something behind my back of if my connection is at full speed.
    If I see some internet action when I do not expect any, I investigate via task manager to check what process uses the network.
    I generally have nothing set to auto update, every program has to ask permission before it can update or download.
    In the shown case my 3 Mb internet speed (I live in rural Spain) is used fully by my browser via VPN.
    For some reason since I monitor all interfaces (and it is a lot in win 10) when I use VPN the bitmeter2 shows the double amount of data.
    So the 5733 Kb/s  divided by 2 are near 3 Mb/s.

To monitor my battery there is always Battery Bar sitting in my hidden task bar.
    My Jumper 3S is now 6 months old and from last months the battery went from 5.4% to 5.8% wear.
    0.4% loss is a tolerable amount for within  one  months of permanent use.
    And 6% for 6 months is still quite good for a cheap pc.
    I think when I installed battery bar the first time after one or two months it showed something around 3.5% wear.
    I have a 6 year old Sony Vaio E what shows 56% wear and manages a good hour  with a full charge.

f you looking for an easy way to monitor the CPU, RAM, DISK usage and your NETWORK connections there is:
    Performance Monitor
    I use it on my T-BAO 15.6″ X5-Z8350 Atom 4  processors since it has only 4GB/64GB to see how it copes if I work with it in my normal fashion.
    As usual I put it in click and see through mode over the window function buttons (right top corner)
    pm1 shows the general setup and on top the processor is barely working, memory is around 2GB used, the disk eMMC is just working full speed data transfer because of cristaldiskmark and the 2 last monitor stations show no down or uploads.
    pm2 shows how I made the windows small and transparent. It also shows on top the processor is working with 25%, memory is around 2GB used, the disk eMMC is not working  and the 2 last monitor stations show full speed down and minimum uploads.
    This program works well but when you shut down it shows an error message what you can click away.</p>

post not finished yet

Attachments:

Need Help?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password