[Partially Solved] Failing to boot Manjaro USB key – EZbook 3 pro

[Partially Solved] Failing to boot Manjaro USB key – EZbook 3 pro

TechTablets Forums Jumper Discussion EZBook series [Partially Solved] Failing to boot Manjaro USB key – EZbook 3 pro

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Garga Mel
    Participant

Edit : I’m marking this as solved as I abandonned the idea of using manjaro and am happy with my current isorespin xubuntu 17.04 installation.

Hi. I’m trying to boot linux from my new ezbook 3 pro. I have donwloaded manjaro-xfce-17.0.3-stable-x86_64.iso and used Rufus to burn the image. I have used the GPT for UEFI option as per earlier posts. When I select “UEFI: Sandisk, partition 1” in the boot override menu the laptop displays a black screen with a flashing cursor and sits there.

Is there another setting in the bios I am missing ? Or another image I could try ?

Thanks.

Chris G
    Keymaster

I just ran into this issue on the Surbook. I’m sure when mine worked on the EZBook 3 Pro it was GPT partitioned. But might have been release 17 RC1 beta or another version. Try another ISO https://downloads.sourceforge.net/manjarotest/manjaro-kde-17.0.3-rc1-stable-x86_64.iso

Chris | Admin
    Please support us and help keep TechTablets online. Affiliate revenue is used to pay for the server, studio apartment (Techtablets HQ) and buy new tech to review. Without it, this site would be dead.
    Next up for review:
    Ordered and waiting for my: BMAX S15 & Teclast F6 Plus
    Currently testing: LG G8X & Redmi K30

David
    Participant

I have been able to boot and install solusos but I get this after I installed it

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Garga Mel
    Participant

Thanks Chris I’ll try another Manjaro release.

In the evening I did manage to boot a custom Xubuntu 17.04 I created using the awsome isorespin.sh tool. So linux definitively boots on the jumper 3 pro V4. Sound and wifi were working. Firefox seemed a bit laggy. I did not try to install Ubuntu as I have no SSD yet. If someone really needs the xubuntu image I can share it.

I think Linux Arch or Manjaro is definetively doable. isorespin.sh uses rEFInd to boot ubuntu or windows. That’s probably something to look into.

I’ve also noticed that the BIOS gets bugguy if you select “Intel Linux” as your booting OS : the screen has no backlight and the main keyboard is not recognized by the bios. I had to plug a USB cable and turn of the lights to switch back to “Windows”. So except if a bios update is released, stay on the “windows” OS selection setting and use rEFInd.

David
    Participant

Thanks Chris I’ll try another Manjaro release. In the evening I did manage to boot a custom Xubuntu 17.04 I created using the awsome isorespin.sh tool. So linux definitively boots on the jumper 3 pro V4. Sound and wifi were working. Firefox seemed a bit laggy. I did not try to install Ubuntu as I have no SSD yet. If someone really needs the xubuntu image I can share it. I think Linux Arch or Manjaro is definetively doable. isorespin.sh uses rEFInd to boot ubuntu or windows. That’s probably something to look into. I’ve also noticed that the BIOS gets bugguy if you select “Intel Linux” as your booting OS : the screen has no backlight and the main keyboard is not recognized by the bios. I had to plug a USB cable and turn of the lights to switch back to “Windows”. So except if a bios update is released, stay on the “windows” OS selection setting and use rEFInd.

If you could share that it would be fantastic. If you need a server to upload it to I can make you an owncloud account on my VPS

Garga Mel
    Participant

All right. I’ll try to do it later today or in the weekend. If you could give me the account that would be easier for me. Also, as I’m new around here, Chris if you have a preferred solution to upload big files on the forum let me know.

In any case I’ll also put the command line I used. It is really easy to use if you want to respin your own ISO.

Garga Mel
    Participant

Hell I’m bored at work here is how to respin your own isos on a ubuntu computer or virtual machine :
    Get all the info here : http://linuxiumcomau.blogspot.com/

1/ Install a few packages :
    sudo apt-get install -y squashfs-tools xorriso
    2/ Download the ubuntu flavor iso you want to respin.
    3/ In the same folder download isorespin.sh from here : https://goo.gl/ZnUd6H
    4/ Then Run :
    sudo bash isorespin.sh -i #ISO PATH# --apollo -u
    5/ There will be a new ISO generated. You can then copy it to your USB key using dd (replace sdX with your USB drive).
    sudo dd if=#NEW ISO PATH# of=/dev/sdX bs=4M

That’s it.

Garga Mel
    Participant

Posting this from custom Xubuntu installed on a second usb stick. It all seems fine. The image will install rEFInd by default so you don’t even have to bother to install it yourself. The trick is to boot the Linux kernel from rEFInd and not the Ubuntu grub menu selection.

It’s working so well I am wondering if I am going to bother with Manjaro after all. Now all I need is a proper SSD.

Chris G
    Keymaster

Okay Majaro 17 RC1 works, GPT format and booted on my devices. Stable 17 not the RC1 release doesn’t seem to boot. Just that stuck cursor on boot.

Chris | Admin
    Please support us and help keep TechTablets online. Affiliate revenue is used to pay for the server, studio apartment (Techtablets HQ) and buy new tech to review. Without it, this site would be dead.
    Next up for review:

David
    Participant

Hell I’m bored at work here is how to respin your own isos on a ubuntu computer or virtual machine : Get all the info here : http://linuxiumcomau.blogspot.com/ 1/ Install a few packages : sudo apt-get install -y squashfs-tools xorriso 2/ Download the ubuntu flavor iso you want to respin. 3/ In the same folder download isorespin.sh from here : https://goo.gl/ZnUd6H 4/ Then Run : sudo bash isorespin.sh -i #ISO PATH# --apollo -u 5/ There will be a new ISO generated. You can then copy it to your USB key using dd (replace sdX with your USB drive). sudo dd if=#NEW ISO PATH# of=/dev/sdX bs=4M That’s it.

Thanks for the effort you put into that sadly I do not have any pc running linux right now

Tasz
    Participant

Maybe it’s just my laptop’s hardware issue, but I noticed some minor weirdness/issues

• The ENTER key registers a KP_Enter keycode instead of a Return keycode
      • Fix: Remap key
    • The trackpad doesn’t work in Fedora 26 on cold boot in some conditions. Loaded modules are perfectly identical regardless whether the trackpad works or doesn’t.
      • Fix: Tap the trackpad a few times between rEFInd and login screen
    • Ctrl_L + Shift_L + Z-row keys don’t register at all in Fedora 26 and Windows. (Z-row = zxcvbnm,./)
      • Fix: Use Ctrl_L + Shift_R + Z-row. Kinda annoying but that’s the best I can think of right now.
    Garga Mel
    Participant

Okay Majaro 17 RC1 works, GPT format and booted on my devices. Stable 17 not the RC1 release doesn’t seem to boot. Just that stuck cursor on boot.

Strange. I’ve just tried Manjaro 1703 RC1 and it did not boot either on my Pro3 machine. Which manjaro flavor did you use ?

Chris G
    Keymaster

Strange. I’ve just tried Manjaro 1703 RC1 and it did not boot either on my Pro3 machine. Which manjaro flavor did you use ?

KDE Edition https://downloads.sourceforge.net/manjarotest/manjaro-kde-17.0.3-rc1-stable-x86_64.iso

Chris | Admin
    Next up for review:

Garga Mel
    Participant

Ah I don’t fancy KDE that much. I guess I’ll stick with Xubuntu for now.

Here is the link of the custom ISO I built and installed :
    https://www.th3hub.tk/owncloud/index.php/s/SojuwJpaQr6hTat

David
    Participant

Thanks for that mate

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password