[GUIDE] Install Remix OS or stock and Root (All in 1 simple android guide)

[GUIDE] Install Remix OS or stock and Root (All in 1 simple android guide)

TechTablets Forums Chuwi Forums Chuwi Hi8 Discussion [GUIDE] Install Remix OS or stock and Root (All in 1 simple android guide)

Tagged: , , ,

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    Jt
    Participant

****WARNING**** I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING YOU DO TO YOUR DEVICE ****WARNING****

I was looking around for a simple guide to delete windows and only have android. Turns out there isn’t one or if there was it wasn’t clear on what to do and lacked steps/information. In my opinion this tablet is to small to have a desktop operating system. I successfully flashed Remix OS but it didn’t have google play store. I had to find a way to flash gapps without a recovery… Nothing worked but I eventually came across a site that’s in French that had a temporary recovery for this device. After hours of experimenting and searching, I’ve come up with this guide for those who just want this to be an android only tablet. I take no credit for the software/tools/programs provided in this guide. Most links will redirect you to the original creator. Some I couldn’t find, like the original creator of the Remix OS zip file.

This guide will help you:

• Install Remix OS (or stock)
    • Root Remix Os (or stock)
    • Install Gapps
    • Rid of your windows partition (optional, I have no idea how to get it back if you decide to delete it)
    • You will lose your data since it is a fresh install, make sure you backup

If you want to simply root your tablet, do step 1 and step 5

If you just want to delete windows, do step 3 only

If you just want to install stock rom or Remix OS, do step 1 and step 2

If you want to install Remix OS (or stock), delete windows, flash gapps, root, and start over fresh, just follow the guide

Requirements (These are needed only if you want to delete windows):

• An OTG cable, 4gb usb, usb hub, mouse, and keyboard

Step 1, Setting up shop (installing drivers and whatnot)

• Go to this link, download and install the Intel MFG Tool
    • Thank the one who created this
    • After you installed it, restart your computer
    • You are now ready for step 2

Step 2, Flashing Remix OS (if you do not want to install Remix OS, simply flash the stock rom without modifying the system.img. Make sure that if you want to keep windows read carefully)

• Download the stock rom from here and extract it
    • Download Remix OS and Gapps from here and extract it (There are a few bugs that come with Remix OS, so I do recommend stock rom. Remix OS is a great rom though. It is up to you. See bottom of post for a couple bug fixes)
    • Inside the Remix OS folder you’ll find a zip of the system.img, extract it
    • Replace the stock system.img with the Remix OS system.img (if you don’t want Remix OS, leave the system.img in the stock rom folder untouched)
    • ***IMPORTANT*** IF YOU WANT TO KEEP WINDOWS, YOU’LL NEED TO REPLACE THE “flash.xml” FILE IN THE STOCK ROM FOLDER WITH THE ONE PROVIDED IN THE REMIX OS ZIP FILE. IF YOU DON’T, YOUR WINDOWS PARTITION WILL BE SCREWED UP. I HAVEN’T TESTED THIS MYSELF THOUGH. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.
    • If you DO NOT want to keep windows, leave the “flash.xml” file alone
    • Once you’ve finished replacing the files, open Intel Manufacturing Flash Tool
    • In the upper left corner click “open” and navigate to the stock rom folder that we just modified and select the “flash.xml”
    • Turn off your device
    •  Now press the power button and volume up button at the same time and keep them pressed until it says “Entering DnX mode”
    • Then plug your tablet in and it will begin flashing
    • Once complete, navigate through the menu with the volume keys and select reboot with the power key
    • Congrats! You have installed Remix OS/Stock Rom on your device!
    • Run through the setup
    • You are now ready for step 3 (skip to step 4 if you want to keep windows, skip step 4 if you installed the stock rom instead of Remix OS)

Step 3, Erase windows for more space (OPTIONAL):

• Download gparted
    • Download unetbootin
    • Make a live usb
    • Turn off your device
    • Plug in everything to your device (your usb hub, live usb, mouse and keyboard)
    • Power on your device and slam that esc key, a menu will popup
    • Click boot manager and select your usb
    • Once the gparted menu comes up, select the 4th option (Safe graphic settings)
    • A blue screen and gray menu will show up, just hover over “Don’t touch keymap” and hit enter
    • At the bottom of the screen it will ask you what language to install, 33 is English. Simply type the number and hit enter
    • Another option will come up saying “which mode do you prefer?” Just type the number 0 and hit enter
    • Gpart will then boot up and it WILL take a while for it to finish scanning for partitions
    • Once it is done, you will see two big partitions, one for windows (biggest partition) and one for android (about 7gb)
    • ****ABSOLUTELY DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING ELSE****
    • If the windows partition is allocated, delete it so that it is unallocated
    • Right click the android partition (7gb) and click extend/re-size
    • Drag the bar all the way to the right
    • Click apply, and apply again
    • This WILL take some time so sit back and have a beer or something. Make sure the tablet does not go to sleep
    • Once complete click the exit icon and power off your device and keep it off (after you click shutdown, you will need to manually power off your device by holding the power button)
    • Once your tablet boots up, go to settings, storage, and you should have about 26gb free
    • This process may seem complicated, but its very simple once you actually do it
    • You are now ready for step 4

Step 4, Flashing gapps

• Enable USB Debugging
    • The Remix OS zip file contains the gapps.zip, we will need to flash them with a temporary recovery
    • You can download it here (original link of the creator here)
    • Extract it and open the folder
    • Now copy the gapps from the Remix OS zip file onto either an external sd card or internal memory
    • Plug your tablet into your pc and make sure your tablet is on
    • Run the”ClockworkMod Recovery Chuwi Vi8.bat” file
    • It will be in french, don’t worry though. Simply type “OK” in caps without the quotations and hit enter, then type “OK” and hit enter once more
    • Now wait for CWM to boot on your device. You may now exit the cmd window
    • Once it boots, navigate with the volume buttons and use the power button to select
    • Select “install zip” and “choose zip from sdcard” if you put the gapps on your tablet or “choose zip from external sdcard” if you put them on an external sd card
    • Once you find your gapps flash it
    • Once done wipe your cache partition and dalvik cache
    • Now reboot your device, it will ask you to fix root, just click yes
    • Once your device boots up, you are now ready for step 5

Step 5, Rooting your tablet

• Download the root tool here
    • Extract it
    • Make sure your tablet is on
    • Enable USB Debugging
    • Plug in your tablet to your computer
    • Run the “3 Root-tablette-chinoise.net.bat” file and just press enter after it asks “press any key to continue” (it will ask you twice)
    • You now have root! Yay

Congrats you now have a rooted Remix OS tablet with a lot more space!

Bug Fixes For Remix OS:

1. Google play store search function force closes it: Download the latest Google play store apk and install it (I used this one). Done, the search function should not force close Google play anymore.
    2. Keyboard not showing up after flashing gapps: Go to Language and Input in settings and select the Baidu keyboard. This keyboard is mostly chinese and it will not stay as your default, so we will fix that. Go to google play and install System app remover. Then install the Google keyboard (or whatever keyboard you prefer). After that, open system app remover, grant root permission, check the AOSP keyboard and uninstall it (as well as the Baidu keyboard if its still there). The keyboard you downloaded should automatically be set as default.

Cri
    Participant

great post iv been searching all over for this,Hi8 is a great tab a little too tiny for windows use, ended up using android most of the time with windows eating up the space.will try this. But a couple of questions before I try.

How is the performance with remix os ?since its working on top of kit kat is it eating up memory?

Could I just use step 3 to give some GB from the windows side to android aand keep both sides intact?

Jt
    Participant

So far the performance is fine, it doesn’t eat up most of the memory. There are a few bugs here and there. I forgot to mention that you need to download the latest play store apk and install it because the search function doesn’t work on the one intalled through the gapps package (don’t know why). Aslo I’ve used remix os on a different device and vpn functions wouldn’t work, not sure if its the same case here. I would probably stick with stock, just have to delete all that chinese junk. I like remix os, but like I said its a little buggy. You can flash the stock rom instead of the remix rom.

As for your second question, I honestly don’t know 😛 What you can try to do is boot up gpart, try and partition the windows partition, and extend android to that extra partition you created from windows. I’m not sure that would work but you can give it a shot since whatever you do in gpart will not be applied until you confirm it.

Gogeta
    Participant

Can you try to plug headphone and use youtube app? On kitkat stock headphone are recognized as an headset (headphone with mic) and cause an irritating issue: stop and play randomly the video.

I hope that remixos dont have this issue. Thanks

Jt
    Participant

Unfortunately the problem still exists in Remix OS. There is a workaround for both stock and Remix though. Download “SoundAbout” from Google play, open it, click media audio, select wired headphones, and then plug your headphones in. If you want to use speakers again, simply change it back.

Gogeta
    Participant

I have also tried this solution, but the problem still there 🙁

It’s random when i plug unplug the jack

Jt
    Participant

That is very strange, I had the same issue as you, where youtube would constantly pause and play. After installing that app the headphones worked just fine. Maybe try closing the music or video app, change the media audio to wired headphones (or try different ones, maybe one might work), then open the app and try. If this doesn’t work then maybe you can try installing viper for android or beats audio drivers but I’m not sure that those drivers will help. If I come across a solution I’ll let you know. For now give those drivers a try. Best of luck!

Gogeta
    Participant

Today i have tried with both Viper4Android and Beats Audio installer, with same result.

When i plug the headphone it’s completely random the recognition of them. Most of the times recognized as an headset with mic and with the issue. 10% of times recognized as an headphone without issue.

Jt
    Participant

Sounds like your headphone jack is just defective. You may have to try physically working with the headphone plug, like not plugging it in all the way or plug them in and restart your device. I have one more app that you can try, look  up “HF Button Widget” and download that. I’m afraid I’m all out of suggestions. I will try and look for more solutions though. Best of luck!

Gogeta
    Participant

I’ve got it!

After lot of hour of studying this issue, i have found that the headphone/jack send a Keycode to the system, like pressing a button on a headset. This keycode corresponding at HEADSETHOOK function that will play and stop youtube videos. I have changed this keycode to another!

We must have root access and edit this file located in /system/usr/keylayout/baytrailaudio_Intel_MID_Audio_Jack.kl

from

key 256 HEADSETHOOK WAKE

to

key 256 FOCUS WAKE_DROPPED

The “only issue” now is that if the headphone are attached and you press power to switch the screen off, it immediately power on the screen. but it just unplug the headphone to resolve

I have to investigate more to search another better keycode. I have tried MEDIA_NEXT or BUTTON_1, video still play good but with the symbol of PAUSE in the middle of the screen.

Anyway i don’t want to still in offtopic, this is for the remix OS! If you want to help me to resolve on 100% we can go further in another dedicated topic

Thank you!

Jt
    Participant

Wow! This is awesome! This inspired me to look deeper and we found a solution! I found this thread on xda for a different device but it worked with this tablet.

Simply delete that line and add this instead:

key 113 MUTE
    key 163 MEDIA_NEXT
    key 164 MEDIA_PLAY_PAUSE
    key 165 MEDIA_PREVIOUS
    key 226 HEADSETHOOK WAKE
    key 231 CALL WAKE_DROPPED

Afterwords save and restart

No more random pause/plays, you can lock the device without it automatically powering on the screen!

Awesome find Gogeta!!! Couldn’t have fixed this without your help!

And don’t worry about being off topic, this thread is meant to serve for android, that includes bugs and all. We can create a new topic for people looking for this specific fix though.

Gogeta
    Participant

I have also fixed the screen on issue on this thread

Simply delete “WAKE_DROPPED” from “key 256 FOCUS”

Now works 100% 😀

Tony
    Participant

Wow! This is awesome! This inspired me to look deeper and we found a solution! I found this thread on xda for a different device but it worked with this tablet. Simply delete that line and add this instead: key 113 MUTE key 163 MEDIA_NEXT key 164 MEDIA_PLAY_PAUSE key 165 MEDIA_PREVIOUS key 226 HEADSETHOOK WAKE key 231 CALL WAKE_DROPPED Afterwords save and restart No more random pause/plays, you can lock the device without it automatically powering on the screen! Awesome find Gogeta!!! Couldn’t have fixed this without your help! And don’t worry about being off topic, this thread is meant to serve for android, that includes bugs and all. We can create a new topic for people looking for this specific fix though.

What’s the point of adding all of those lines?

Chris G
    Keymaster

Great post! I will sticky this one.

Chris | Admin
    Please support us and help keep TechTablets online. Affiliate revenue is used to pay for the server, studio apartment (Techtablets HQ) and buy new tech to review. Without it, this site would be dead.
    Next up for review:
    Ordered and waiting for my: BMAX S15 & Teclast F6 Plus
    Currently testing: LG G8X & Redmi K30

Jt
    Participant

I had headphones with a volume control on it, used this in hope that I would be able to use it, but the buttons still don’t work. It does fix the problem but Gogetas fix is better, use his instead.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar