Jumper Ez Book X4

Jumper Ez Book X4

TechTablets Forums Jumper Discussion EZBook series Jumper Ez Book X4

This topic contains 29 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Chupa 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Can we add 4gb of ram?….i see in the video there is an empty space next to the other4gb ready to be soldered

Brad
    Participant

@Makis, no offense, but how would anyone know?  The number of people that would know how to do that (reliably) and willing to risk breaking their notebook is I’m sure very small.

Anonymous

i believe you are right…..but it’s the only thing that is keeping me from buying it…..so i said i will ask…even if it is a little fool question 😉

Brad
    Participant

i believe you are right…..but it’s the only thing that is keeping me from buying it…..so i said i will ask…even if it is a little fool question ?

what do you intend to use it for mostly?  Maybe 4GB is enough.  If you use Linux and a swap partition … and you don’t have something like 50 browser tabs open at the same time (something I do a lot w/8GB haha) then maybe you’ll be OK.  I often run virtual machines on top of Linux which need at least 1GB to 2GB of RAM each so 4GB would be restrictive for me.  But even then I could prob still make it usable by just managing what I do simultaneously.

Anonymous

I will use windows for anything except gaming.

browsing, office (most word and powerpoint), watch movies (FHD) . I know about opening a lot of tabs, i open 5-10 tabs not more (Chrome user).

Skype a lot, KODI (a lot at FHD), viber (rare) , emails (i use thunderbird managing 6 accounts). I don’t use any social….FB,twitter etc.

Chupa
    Participant

than you will be fine, since the video card shares the main memory and you just get into tight country when playing games who need 1 GB (GTA V) or more from your ram.

Need Help?
    1981 soldered my first Sinclair computer 1K, tapedeck * 1984 build and sold IBM clones 8Mhz, 512K, 20MB HDD * 2018 messing with ultrabooks

Brad
    Participant

@chupa don’t most games these days require a minimum of 512MB (1GB recommended) of dedicated VRAM?
    I’m not a gamer at all, but I was thinking of trying out some mentally challenging adventure or “puzzle” games.

Chupa
    Participant

don’t worry I run GTAV on a N3350 with 4 GB and on a atom z5-8350 with 4 GB
    It is shown here in his Jumper forum with screen shots and videos.
    Choosing the lowest res and some tweaks it should work without a problem.

Need Help?
    1981 soldered my first Sinclair computer 1K, tapedeck * 1984 build and sold IBM clones 8Mhz, 512K, 20MB HDD * 2018 messing with ultrabooks

Anonymous

Thanks for your help guys…..  🙂

Chupa
    Participant

sure, have fun with your new toy

Need Help?

Greedo77
    Participant

Dont think I’ve seen this on the forum anywhere, looks like a plasticky  version of the X4…

https://www.gearbest.com/laptops/pp_009695647210.html?wid=1433363

Chupa
    Participant

it is a totally different animal

it as a 11.6″ 360º flip or 2in1

Need Help?

oldgrumpyman
    Participant

EZBook X4 – memory upgrade

EZBook X4 in the fix thermals video (8-July-2018) was shown with a free BGA RAM socket. As best I can tell from that video it seemed to me that the surface mount capacitors and resistors for the installed RAM chip were also in place on the motherboard for the unpopulated socket.

Because of my aged eyesight, Chinese prices that I can afford, and the requirements of small repairs to phones and SBCs, I’ve got a 20X/40X 3D microscope, separate USB Digital 5GB Camera Microscope Magnifier 1X-500X, solder rework station with temperature controlled hot-air gun (and selection of nozzles), non-contact IR temperature gun, as well as associated bits and pieces, and cleaning substances, various fluxes. In fact everything anyone would need to install a BGA chip, and any required miniature surface mount components.

I believe that I would be able to get full specifications and application data for the BGA RAM in the X4 that I would buy – and I would trust that I should be able to buy another somewhere. On the basis that if ai’nt broke don’t fix it, I also assume that the Aptio configurations for the AMI BIOS have not been disabled with respect to two-RAM chip configuration, but I’d be obliged if someone would check please.

Now that the TN screen has been swapped for an IPS screen, and this X4 is the only one in its class with a RAM upgradeable motherboard, I would like to buy one and upgrade the RAM to 8GB.

While I would not attempt reballing a BGA chip, I believe I’m competent enough to install a new BGA chip onto a preconfigured motherboard. The only reservation in the case of the X4 is: what is on the other side of the motherboard, opposite the RAM sockets? Would Chris-G please have a look and post a photograph?

Brian

james
    Participant

EZBook X4 – memory upgrade EZBook X4 in the fix thermals video (8-July-2018) was shown with a free BGA RAM socket. As best I can tell from that video it seemed to me that the surface mount capacitors and resistors for the installed RAM chip were also in place on the motherboard for the unpopulated socket. Because of my aged eyesight, Chinese prices that I can afford, and the requirements of small repairs to phones and SBCs, I’ve got a 20X/40X 3D microscope, separate USB Digital 5GB Camera Microscope Magnifier 1X-500X, solder rework station with temperature controlled hot-air gun (and selection of nozzles), non-contact IR temperature gun, as well as associated bits and pieces, and cleaning substances, various fluxes. In fact everything anyone would need to install a BGA chip, and any required miniature surface mount components. I believe that I would be able to get full specifications and application data for the BGA RAM in the X4 that I would buy – and I would trust that I should be able to buy another somewhere. On the basis that if ai’nt broke don’t fix it, I also assume that the Aptio configurations for the AMI BIOS have not been disabled with respect to two-RAM chip configuration, but I’d be obliged if someone would check please. Now that the TN screen has been swapped for an IPS screen, and this X4 is the only one in its class with a RAM upgradeable motherboard, I would like to buy one and upgrade the RAM to 8GB. While I would not attempt reballing a BGA chip, I believe I’m competent enough to install a new BGA chip onto a preconfigured motherboard. The only reservation in the case of the X4 is: what is on the other side of the motherboard, opposite the RAM sockets? Would Chris-G please have a look and post a photograph? Brian

If you did upgrade your ram would love to see a video of how you did it, let us know how you get on please, im just a bit gutted about it being only 4gb or ram, i have mine order and if it could be upgraded to 8gb it would make it a great notebook instead of just a good one 🙂

Chupa
    Participant

it should be a piece of cake if you have a guy like this around

Need Help?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password