The better Ezbook 3 Pro? "My name is Homer Thomson"

The better Ezbook 3 Pro? "My name is Homer Thomson"

TechTablets Forums Jumper Discussion EZBook series The better Ezbook 3 Pro? "My name is Homer Thomson"

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Chupa
    Participant

Today I was at MediaMarkt an German Tech Store what is now found nearly all over Europe.
    They had a metal 13.3″ Apollo Lake with 4GB /32GB and an interesting looking little door on the bottom. M.2 I thought, but it was no where mentioned, just extension via micro SD card. So I had a guy open up the little screw and remove the metal flap and voila I found a M.2 slot.
    It also was mentioned as always that is has a full HD IPS.
    Well I was intriged,  if it is not a real IPS I just return it.
    So for 222 Euro or 215 at the register ??? I took it home.
    The full name of the 1.2 kg ultrabook  is Thomson SP-NEOX13.4GR32
    Before even turn it on I opened the 11 micro screws on the bottom and the metal lid just came off.
    Guess what I saw?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Need Help?
    1981 soldered my first Sinclair computer 1K, tapedeck * 1984 build and sold IBM clones 8Mhz, 512K, 20MB HDD * 2018 messing with ultrabooks

Chupa
    Participant

The bottom and the lid top of the Thomson NEOX  are metal, the body and lid front are not Inside the body there is the usual metal platecombined with the “plastic” body. The look is more metal than on my Jumper 3S. It is sturdy. Hold on one corner and no flex. 2 hand openig the lid.

The keyboard seems better and the touchpad is a precison with a soft but nice click. The screen is very good and bright, ANTI GLARE and a REAL IPS see tom7-9.
    tom4 is the screen at 20% and tom5 is the screen at 100%.
    The EMMC is not fast and the micro SD is USB2 speed. The memory is just 4GB but install a nice M.2 and use the 32GB as extra memory with swapping. The Apollo lake is not a 3450 but a 3350. Not 4 but 2 processores, but 2.3 MHz instead of 2.1 MHz. The GPU is the same INTEL HD500 what did run GTAV on my Jumper 3S.
    The PSU is 12V 2A with the same plug.
    So you got a little less power and memory, BUT you got 2 Years carry in warranty!!!
    Will test more and update here.

Need Help?
    1981 soldered my first Sinclair computer 1K, tapedeck * 1984 build and sold IBM clones 8Mhz, 512K, 20MB HDD * 2018 messing with ultrabooks

Chupa
    Participant

The BIOS is totally locked but with a recovery option.

There is a carrying pouch for the Thomson NEOX included.

The 2GB model (every thing identical but only 1USB3 and 1 USB2 and 2GB instead of 4GB) was marketed in November under the Name Thomson NEO13X.

Attachments:

Need Help?

Giovanni
    Participant

32GB EMMC with Windows is useless and also 4GB RAM is a bit tight.
    Would have been better a “full” EZbook 3 Pro from Gearbest :’)

EZbook 3 Pro BIOS modder - find my work here
    If you want to tag me, my username is thegiolly

Chupa
    Participant

dear Giovani, 32GB leaves 19GB free what is a not much, but with that bit of memory my wife works happyly with her HP Stream 13″ 2GB /32GB win8 since over 2 Years. The only extension she has is a 64GB sd card for her files and it works like a charm with often more than 20 tabs open in opera and Thunderbird running also with several mail accounts. So it is all about the users needs and how you optimize the PC.
    I put a tiny 64GB USB3 thumbdrive in one of the usb3 slots and have all my portable programs already running without touching the remaining 19GB memory. Piece of cake

… and I have a Jumper Ezbook 3S from GB you know that is the one with already a 256GB SSD build in. You see it in the picture above with the screen comparison.

on a lighter side, Google just found my 2 hour old post 11 hours ago.

Attachments:

Need Help?

Chupa
    Participant

I was a bit confused about the different memory cards, there are the ones with 2 cut outs and the ones with one cut out. The slot in the Thomson has one cut out, so I was just looking for these kind of design. Then I opened my Jumper 3S and took the 256GB Foresee ssd out and it was a 2 cut out card in a one cut out slot.

Installing the ssd in the Thomson worked instantly. The BIOS showed the card present and it worked as a drive d without problem.
    Now the only question is 256GB for 50 Euro or 512 for 90….

Attachments:

Need Help?

Chupa
    Participant

Thomson main location is in France.
    The color choice of the Thomson NEOX reminds me a bit of HP Stream 11 and 13 with the pink and the blue colors, sadly only sliver here in Spain.
    https://www.mythomson.com/uk_en/computers/ultrabook

Attachments:

Need Help?

Francesco
    Participant

Thath’s not bad considering the warranty, never saw any thomson here in italy

Stefan
    Participant

Nice discovery… now i have to check the Media Markt here in Germany. Did not see them the last time i was there, but i did not pay to much attention back then. Even with the lower end hardware, it may be an option for those who are not willing or able to take the risk with Gearbest.

Oh, on that picture in your living room, it does not look like there is too much room left for you, next to your wife.^^ I count 3 cats and one dog. At least they keep her warm.

Chupa
    Participant

Stefan, you just see a third from the “sofa”, also there is 2 cats and one dog missing…
    Dear Giavanni, would you think that GTA V plays on that little 1.2KG ultrabook?
    Well I installed GTA 5 on a 128GB Flash drive and did a first test run.
    Not too bad for a start I have to say.

Attachments:

Need Help?

Chupa
    Participant

I have to get a Homer sticker in front of the Thomson

Attachments:

Need Help?

Chupa
    Participant

I compared the 2 processor Celeron N3350 with a 4 processor Atom x5-8350, both with 4GB and a small emmc 32 to 64. Both were running GTA V fullscreen on their 1080 displays. Resolution was 800×600 stretched to 16:9. Even with the DH500 in the N3350 vs the HD400 in the 8350 the gameplay was more fluid on the Atom. Both were tuned via ThrottleStop to increase the burst time from seconds to hours. The Atom gets fast over 85 degrees C and needs a modded cooling to keep the temps below and more evenly spreaded across the surface.
    Since the cost for the N3350 and N3450 looks identical, it was a bad choice from Thomson to pass on the better 4 processor N3450.

For lighter games than GTA V the N3350 will be OK, but GTA V needs some serios modding in soft and hardware to be playable. Compared to the N3450 in my Jumper 3S with the fast 256GB SSD, GTA V runs fluid in 1024×768.

Right now the Thomson NEO13X is back to 259 Euro at MediaMarkt, what makes it still an OK deal for anybody who wants the Chinese experience of low powered ultrabooks with the safety of 2 Years warranty.

Need Help?

Chupa
    Participant

…and now for something completely different.

Benchmarks

Attachments:

Need Help?

Chupa
    Participant

GTA V does not fit on a 64GB SD card. So are there files you can delete to make it fit and the game still plays OK?

Yes you can delete nearly 7 GB inside the update folder (dlcpacks) and the game still works.
    You see here a 3 min demo. The normal throttling of the N3350 sets in after 20 seconds of turbo boost. Via ThrottleStop 850 the turbo is set to hours not seconds. As you can see it is not choppy in any way and quite playable even with only 2 cores. From the 4Gb 0.9GB is used as shared memory for the HD500.

GTA V is copied (not installed) from the Jumper SSD to a micro SD card, the necessary files are copied to the Thomson eMMC and 2 entries are added to the registry. That is all you need to do to copy GTA V from one PC to another. Took me a while to figure that out but the fun is  to see GTA V running on low power processors and what is possible via tweeks even on a Atom processor.

https://youtu.be/rhKJv7FfqrM

Need Help?

Chupa
    Participant

I got my 512GB Kingspeck (without the k but I could not resist, it´s a German joke) and after a simple outside USB3 cloning the 512 went into my Jumper 3s and the Foresee 256GB went away. Today Homer Thomson with the gigantic memory of 4/32GB got his upgrade.

Reading of all the problems  the Jumperianer having in getting their emmc cloned and working, here is how it went with Homer.
    Removed the bottom, removed the cooling metal. Took a picture of the stellar work to nearly find the processor when placing the themo pad.
    Circling on the picture where I put new thermal pads, the cooling metal was screwed back and the plastic for the m.2 2242 was removed (one screw and loosen the cable to slip the plastic off. The screw for the 2242 was removed and on the thread was a piece of ductape stuck.Then the 2280 m.2 Foresee was stuck in and fixed with more ductape. On top of the cooling metal were several stripes of thicker cooling pads (silicone type) installed to connect with the full metal back and also where the door for the ssd is was the same thick thermo transfer sillicone pad installed to connect the ssd with the case.

Oh yes and I unplugged the battery at some point when fiddeling inside the pc.

Feeling lucky after everything was screwed back I just started Homer to see what surprise was waiting for me.

Now remember there are now 2 bootable mediums inside one original and one from another computer with mostly similar specs.
    waiting
    waiting
    TADA!

Homer booted from the SSD without me even being near the BIOS.
    All my programs were there and everything was running …
    OK on closer look there was one driver missing in the device manager and Windows was not activated, also my wifi was on strike.
    Now where was my driver dump?
    Hmm, I am sure getting old lot´s of CRS syndrome (Cant Remember Shit).
    So reboot, enter BIOS tell Bios please boot from EMMc – done.
    Double Driver makes a backup, reboot, enter BIOS tell Bios please boot from SSD – done.
    Double Driver makes restore, as usual 1 driver fails (it´s an Intel, who cares) – reboot.
    Everything works, wifi, the precision tablet (worked even before the Double Driver  restore) and all my little programs. Even Windows activated itself -uh oh, should have taken that hint.

So how fast is my 500/500 SSD now in this new computer – well would you believe 500/500.

Did I fiddle anywhere , NO just what I wrote here and everything works with programs what are installed on another PC I even got rid of the Creators Fall since my Jumper had just Creators what I prefer.

And now back to the uh oh. If you recall from earlier posts my Windows is general set up to NOT update anything. With the help of ShutUp10 and ather nifty programs you can make windows behave like you want. Now with activating itself windows also deactivated my block telemetry and do not  update anything and also I am on a metered wifi connection.
    That bloody windows deactivated all my settings and plastered over my whole screen: do not turn off we are just regaining ownership of your computer.
    Hell NO.
    Disable wifi, run ShutUp10 see what all is again enabled, disable all again,  check installed programs, find several sneaked in windows trojans (with best wishes from microsoft), remove and check installed updates, grrr – found you suckers,  delete.
    Had to do some of it 3 times including setting wifi back to metered until win 1703 now behaves.

Believe me Bill Gates and his software was bad, I know I am fighting with this shit since it was named IBM DOS. But 10 is pure evil, Facebook style.

Attachments:

Need Help?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password