Need to reflash BIOS in DnX Mode

Need to reflash BIOS in DnX Mode

TechTablets Forums Chuwi Forums Chuwi Hi8 Discussion Need to reflash BIOS in DnX Mode

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 103 total)
  • Author
    Tschuuuls
    Participant

Hi,

today’s the day I received my Hi8 and today’s also the day I bricked it 🙁

I attempted to boot Linux from an USB stick, which didn’t show up in the Boot Devices selection, so I went ahead and played around with the USB settings in UEFI.

I turned OTG on PCI and as suggested USB VCC off. After a reboot I found out, that I messed up.

I can’t enter the UEFI now, attached keyboard/anything else is not recognized (even on an powered Hub). My first screwup.

At this point I could still boot into Android and Windows. I found easyuefi which gave me the option to change the boot order. I hoped I could get it to boot directly into the UEFI. I moved EFI shell all the way to the top of the list and selected “just once”. This somehow didn’t save.
    Now my Tablet boots into EFI shell. EVERY SINGLE TIME.

I can’t boot Android, I cant boot Windows and I cant use the UEFI.

My last resort is DnX Mode. I need to reflash the Bios then “boot from file” into Windows and then fix the boot order.

I found the correct UEFI files for my HI8 – it runs BIOS 207, but I can’t boot it from USB, I have to flash through DnX. There is even a tool for this purpose: http://forum.xda-developers.com/x98-air/help/baytrail-dnx-mode-bios-flashing-tool-t3295105
    Problem is: It got removed.

Can anybody help me :O
    Funny thing is: I am normally the person who tells others to not screw around with the BIOS 😛

Thank you for your help 🙂

Tschuuuls
    Participant

Update: I found the DnX flash program (here).

Problem is: Doesn’t work with the Hi8. It won’t start flashing the BIOS in DnX mode. Will just reboot into the bubbles menu where I could enter the UEFI, if I had a working Keyboard.

On to the Manufacturing Tool…

Jonathan
    Participant

I don’t have the Hi8 so please keep in mind that my suggestions will be a bit hit and miss on this, also I’m pressed for time at present…

Firstly, have you tried holding down the volume down button while booting? You might be able to use the boot menu if there is one on the Hi8.

If that’s no good do you know of a recovery (ideally TWRP) that works on your tablet? (Do not flash anything to try)
    Please also confirm that you have the Hi8 (Bay Trail Z3736F, Insyde H2O BIOS) and not the Pro version (Cherry Trail).

Tschuuuls
    Participant

Hi do have the normal HI8, not the Pro Version.

There is a Windows/Android Menu when holding Vol-, but both only boot into EFI shell.

Holding Vol+ in Windows Mode gets me to the screen with the bubbles: “Continue, Boot Manager, Device Management, Boot from File, etc”
    I can’t choose anything there without a keyboard.

In Android mode Vol+ gets me into the DnX Mode. It’s detected in Windows just fine.

I found TWRP here: https://www.tablette-chinoise.net/forum/twrp-recovery-v2-8-7-0-t8147 I dont speak french, but with some Google Translate I was able to download the file. It has a Recovery.img inside, so I guess it’s legit.
    I tried fastboot booting that yesterday, allready. But using fastboot boot *anything* results in a boot to the bubble menu for me. I guess I have to use the Manufacturer tool (used fastboot on a lot of other devices, so I was confident using it).

I disabled the full screen logo before screwing with USB, that’s why I know my Bios Version is 207. @jonathan

Thanks again!

Jonathan
    Participant

What’s the serial number of your tablet please?

Tschuuuls
    Participant

Hi8 *MYSERIALNUMBER*

Jonathan
    Participant

This is a wild shot in the dark but please try:

1. Connect your tablet to your computer and put it in DnX mode
    2. Put this file in the same directory as the TWRP recovery.img you found along with the fastboot files (exe/dll).
    3. Start a command prompt in the above directory (from Windows Explorer ALT+D cmd enter).
    4. Type “fastboot devices” <enter>
    5. Copy the device name
    6. Replacing <device> (i.e. no angle brackets)with the device name: type “fastboot -s <device name>  flash osloader efilinux-userdebug.efi” <enter>
    7. Replacing <device> (i.e. no angle brackets)with the device name: type “fastboot -s <device name> boot recovery.img” <enter>

This may very well not work 🙂 I’m downloading the official Android files to look for alternatives, but this will take a looongggggg time on my connection…

Jonathan
    Participant

Just to add: step 8 wait 30-45seconds for the tablet to boot once it has the data.

Tschuuuls
    Participant

Stop downloading 🙂

TWRP took a couple seconds to boot, but it worked!

I have adb shell access now!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Jonathan
    Participant

Progress 🙂

Do you have a working touchscreen?
    The Vi10 TWRP doesn’t have ADB, you can get an interactive shell going on yours!?

I’m uploading a modified TWRP for you…

Tschuuuls
    Participant

Yep, shell works as it would in any other TWRP 😀

C:\Users\User\Downloads\TWRP_Chuwi_Hi8>adb shell
    ~ # [6nls
    ls
    boot
    cache
    config
    data
    default.prop
    dev
    etc
    external_sd
    factory
    file_contexts
    fstab.goldfish
    init
    init.rc
    init.recovery.usb.rc
    lib
    license
    logs
    proc
    property_contexts
    recovery
    res
    root
    sbin
    sdcard
    seapp_contexts
    sepolicy
    sideload
    supersu
    sys
    system
    tmp
    twres
    ueventd.anzhen4_mrd7.rc
    ueventd.goldfish.rc
    ueventd.modules.blacklist
    ueventd.rc
    usbotg
    ~ # [6n

EDIT: Touchscreen works. Screen update is pretty slow however, probably because it’s drawn without GPU acceleration.

Jonathan
    Participant

Well, as I see it you have two options from here:

1. Grab the correct BIOS for your tablet and set up the ESP volume to flash BIOS when you start up in UEFI Shell (take care not the overwrite the EFI directory).
    2. Use the modified TWRP to generate some files for me and let me produce a fix utility (I would be interested in seeing what the UEFI Boot tool did).

EDIT: Removed link to modified TWRP (it needs more testing before it can be made permanently available).

Tschuuuls
    Participant

In Option 1 I would modify the internal partition that tells the Tablet what to boot? Since I can’t boot of the USB flash drive chuwi is suggesting.

I’d choose Option 2. I downloaded the img just now. Which files do I have to pull?

Jonathan
    Participant

Option 1, you DL the BIOS flashing archive and extract the root files (not the subdirectories!) into your ESP volume then restart the (fully charged and on mains power) tablet. No modification of partition tables involved. When your tablet starts it should flash the BIOS.

Option 2, please put a FAT32 formatted SD card into your tablet then boot the img I uploaded just as you did the recovery image. There’s a util included “/sbin/gv” that will create two files in the directory from which it’s run. I suggest: “cd /external_sd” “mkdir gv_gen” “cd gv_gen” “/sbin/gv > log.txt” to contain everything.
    I only need the files in the “Vi10_SetupFixLogs” directory of your SD card and the uefi_var.bin generated by gv (please note the other file acpi_var.bin will normally contain your Windows key so don’t post it!).

Jonathan
    Participant

I’m just looking at your other post, you said:
    “screwed with OTG Settings, disabled power set OTG to PCI”

Is that all you changed? On the Vi10 those settings don’t disable USB…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 103 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar