Randomly powering off under low battery. Battery calibration issue?

Randomly powering off under low battery. Battery calibration issue?

TechTablets Forums Chuwi Forums Chuwi Hi12 Forum Randomly powering off under low battery. Battery calibration issue?

This topic contains 78 replies, has 33 voices, and was last updated by  Atis 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 79 total)
  • Author

Chris G
    Keymaster

I’ve just had this happen to me. I had my tablet around 30 something percent, plugged in my HDD and it just went off by itself with a pop from the speakers. Very random, looks like some power delivery issue or battery could be much less than reported. Anyone else having this issue?

My Hi12 Windows only model runs down to single figures and has never had this issue.

Chris | Admin
    Please support us and help keep TechTablets online. Affiliate revenue is used to pay for the server, studio apartment (Techtablets HQ) and buy new tech to review. Without it, this site would be dead.
    Next up for review:
    Ordered and waiting for my: Teclast X6 Pro, X4 and UMIDIGI S3 Pro
    Currently testing: FIMI X8 SE 4k drone, Chuwi Lapbook Pro & 2 x Lenovo laptops ūüôā

Richard Russell
    Participant

Yes, I have installed Battery Alert by PhongIT and set it to give me a warning at 40% so that I can plug it in before it dies. It’s definitely a band-aid on a gunshot wound, but it’s the best I can come up with

Rogus Mortem
    Participant

Chris G, I’m going to test my Hi112 and report. I have a 1TB external hard disk, so I’m going to wait for the battery to be at 30% and connect it to see what happen.

Richard Russell
    Participant

turn the brightness to max and play a game and it’ll die ~30%, keep it dim and browse the web and it’ll die ~20%

Rogus Mortem
    Participant

Hello.

After my Hi12 battery dropped to 24%, I connected my external 1 TB drive, opened my pictures folder, my music folder and my documents with no power off. I played some music and some videos from the external drive and it worked like a charm.

Richard Russell
    Participant

Hello. After my Hi12 battery dropped to 24%, I connected my external 1 TB drive, opened my pictures folder, my music folder and my documents with no power off. I played some music and some videos from the external drive and it worked like a charm.

Did it get to 1% before powering off? What was your brightness set at?

Anonymous

Reading online, it seems that this problems occurs especially when the tablet is under heavy load (gaming or playing videos) at high brightness. It’s a bummer, because I really wanted to buy this tablet now.

Rogus Mortem
    Participant

Hello.

I keep my brightness at 15% all the time to save battery! My critical battery is set to 6% before hibernate.

Zoenphlux
    Participant

According to their forum, you have to uninstall all antivirus software,¬†disable windows defender, and turn the display brightness down when the battery gets lower. ¬†Also, it seems you can’t run a lot of power from the tablet once it hits the lower end.

Based on this my guess is¬†something to do with the quality of the battery. ¬†If this was a premature failsafe it wouldn’t make the pop. ¬†I talked to my brother who knows more about this than I do(taken classes on circuitry). ¬†If it is coming through the¬†speakers, he recommended trying to disable the audio in device manager in windows to see if it is the audio chip. ¬†He thinks it is one of the processors in the system pulling too much on the battery. ¬†When a battery gets low, the resistance goes up, making it harder to maintain voltage. ¬†Normal batteries have many cells to keep the voltage up, and just loose amps. He said if the display dimming helps, that means it is better able to maintain the voltage at the low end of the battery. ¬†This is all a¬†result of a low-end battery according to him.

Chris G
    Keymaster

Dual boot version only seems to do this, at least for me. Tested again my Windows only model and no issues can run hard drives and everything. Looks like I will be keeping my first model after all unless Chuwi can fix this with a bios update.

Chris | Admin
    Please support us and help keep TechTablets online. Affiliate revenue is used to pay for the server, studio apartment (Techtablets HQ) and buy new tech to review. Without it, this site would be dead.
    Next up for review:
    Currently testing: FIMI X8 SE 4k drone, Chuwi Lapbook Pro & 2 x Lenovo laptops ūüôā

Zoenphlux
    Participant

Well then it sounds like this new display that’s also a stylus support has revealed a weakness in the system. It must draw more power? Hopefully they can fix it, but if it is from a weak battery my thought would be a fix is to limit the display brightness ability..

Chris did you say in your review you thought the new screen was a little brighter? I’m not where I can look it up to verify.. If thst is true it might be pulling more juice.

Chris G
    Keymaster

No the screen brightness seems the same (Approx 370-380 cd/m2). People were worried about more nonlaminated gap and screen bleed. But mine all look all the same.

Chris | Admin
    Next up for review:

Zoenphlux
    Participant

Is this only repeated in Windows or does it do it on android too ?

Richard Russell
    Participant

Is this only repeated in Windows or does it do it on android too ?

Android too =/

Richard Russell
    Participant

Emily has spoken… the official support is to “send it back to Chuwi factory for repair”

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 79 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password