Reset BIOS Chuwi VI10Pro no keyboard

Reset BIOS Chuwi VI10Pro no keyboard

TechTablets Forums Chuwi Forums Chuwi Vi10 Discussion Reset BIOS Chuwi VI10Pro no keyboard

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 101 total)
  • Author
    ImADev
    Participant

Hey, thanks for a copy of the source. It actually looks good! I guess it’s just a matter of mapping settings out for each BIOS, although Huy Nguyen got lucky and was able to use the fix on his 221506 Vi10 Pro. Maybe resetting to defaults would be advised?

The Vi10 BIOS versions that I know of are as follows.

BIOS: J1D_S165C_206 (used in the 221511 revision)
    BIOS date: 10/30/2015
    MD5: d1138265c8e2825ddcf70b2e7dae2487

BIOS: J1D_S165C_206 (used in the 221509 and 221510 revisions)
    BIOS date: 09/21/2015
    MD5: e1f93389808e45ae375be9f9d0b8030f

BIOS: G1D_S165_206 (an update for users with G1D_S165_205)
    MD5: 3fbb11ac7d77fd81305bc65c88ad414a

BIOS: G1D_S165_205
    MD5: 8706eb20323936956fd9932bf238b5b6

BIOS: G1D_S165_205 (2215040001 – 2215041000)
    MD5: 5e22701f08b4fbb07012de0ec2ae3aaa

http://forum.chuwi.com/thread-169-1-1.html

A custom update.zip sounds like it’d be the most ideal way as we’ve got TWRP and temporary CWM solutions. Have you tried signing the zip from Android itself?

Jonathan
    Participant

This post is just technical stuff, feel free to skip it if you’re just after help…

@ImADev,

You’re welcome to the code, the next version should be a lot better.

To say that Huy Nguyen got lucky is probably doing a disservice to the engineers at Insyde, in my view it’s more likely that he reaped the benefits of their carefull design.

Both of the BIOS variants on the Chuwi that I’ve looked at seem to have the same setup structure. From the sparse layout of the data; BIOS setup UI odities and the commonality of the Atom’s h/w I suspect that at the very least this structure is shared by all tablets with Insyde H2O BIOS and low end Baytrails.

With regards to resetting to defaults, the utility I put together does this in a considered way, i.e. it only resets the USB settings, which is enough to then fix other settings using BIOS setup (even if you’re doing it blind due to a bad graphics setting). The two BIOS versions I tested had different defaults by the way.

With regards to risk, when I experiment with my tablet and need to reset the setup structure I use either the EFI Shell, a Windows utility I wrote or the TWRP system in preference to flashing the BIOS because the later presents a greater risk. It unnecessarily erases regions it doesn’t need to and puts the system at risk for longer.

Thanks for the link, that’s very useful.

As it stands my utility is usable directly from a rooted Android system, the <span style=”line-height: 1.5;”>TWRP system is there for extreme cases (I’d like a way to see the util’s output though), the intent of update.zip is to serve Android systems that are not rooted. Is that possible, or do I need to use a key that I don’t have?</span>

Javier González
    Participant

Good morning everyone,

I’ve tried to flash Jonathan’s file, but I still can’t get the USB to work. When the BIOS boots in order to switch OS from Android to Windows, a message saying”Android has been blocked by the current security policy”. Any other idea? I tried rooting Android with a method that had previously worked, but It doesn’t work anymore, I’ll try to find another way.

Jonathan
    Participant

@Javier, if you mean the issue is with the “Use the volume buttons to select Android, and power to confirm” step then just go to the next step. You don’t need to actually boot Android here. You might find it takes several tries to get into DNX mode if the switch hasn’t taken though.

Please note you don’t need root for my technique to work. However, if you have a rooted Android on the tablet there is a far simpler way to get back USB but please only try one approach at a time.

Javier González
    Participant

@Jonathan I followed all the step you gave me to flash the file, and I did it, but USB still doesn’t work on Android nor the BIOS.

Another issue, does anyone knows why Android on the Chuwi VI10 does not have sound? I cannot get the audio to work, even though it is the official image for the tablets.

Since I can’t install Windows, i would like at least to have a fully functional Android.

thanks!

Jonathan
    Participant

@Javier, When you followed my instructions did your tablet boot up TWRP?

Javier González
    Participant

@Jonathan Yes it did, but still doesn’t recognizes USB drives

Jonathan
    Participant

@Javier, that’s good news, I can fix your tablet. Please don’t mess around with other issues like sound just yet.

Does the touchscreen work with TWRP?

Do you know what BIOS you have?

Jonathan
    Participant

@Javier,

I’ve just noticed something odd, you said USB drives don’t work, does a USB keyboard(the case one for e.g.) work?

Am I correct in believing that you disabled the USB controllers(or messed with some USB setting) in BIOS setup and prevented all USB devices from working?

Javier González
    Participant

Yes, It’s exactly what I did, my bios wasnt recognizing the USB drives I was using to install Windows, so I touched something in the bios related to the USb, and that’s when I messed up the USBs

I have the official Chuwi keyboard, which is connected via pins, and that doesn’t work either.

Jonathan
    Participant

Good, and the other questions:

Does the touchscreen work with TWRP?

Do you know what BIOS you have?

Javier González
    Participant

Yes, the touchscreen works on TWRP, and my BIOS I believe is J1D_S165C_206

Jonathan
    Participant

@Javier, please do this:

1. Insert a micro SD card into your tablet if there isn’t one already in it.
    2. Close the flash tool if it’s open.
    3. Use this droidboot.img to overwrite the one in the package you downloaded previously.
    4. Start the flash tool and open twrp_boot.xml
    5. Put your tablet in DnX mode as before
    6. Connect your tablet to your PC and let TWRP boot.
    7. In TWRP select: “Advanced”->”Terminal Command”
    8. In TWRP browse to sbin and touch “Select Folder”
    9. In TWRP type (with the onscreen keyboard) “./c” (without quotes)and return.
    10. Please save details of what is displayed (don’t bother with the paths at the start).
    11. If there is an error then type backspace and “s” return (the text box should be ./s)
    12. If you used the ./s command look on your SD card for the following files: jon_setup.bin, jon_UEFI1.bin and jon_custom.bin (this may not exist)
    13. Get the files back to me.

Javier González
    Participant

hello Jonathan,

i attach two pictures with the output of both commands i ran, and all 3 files appear in my sd card (jon_setup, jon_UEFI and jon_custom)

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Javier González
    Participant

The tablet now recognizes USB on android, I’m now going to try to install Windows . Thank you very much Jonathan, you saved my life.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 101 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar