[TUTORIAL] Rooting Android, installing Xposed and more

[TUTORIAL] Rooting Android, installing Xposed and more

TechTablets Forums Chuwi Forums Chuwi Vi10 Discussion [TUTORIAL] Rooting Android, installing Xposed and more

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    ImADev
    Participant

I released Chuwi Tweaks a few days ago. It’s doing okay, but I realised that getting rooted and getting Xposed to work isn’t as easy as it should be. That’s about to change though.

Rooting:

The tablet seemed to lack a fully working version of TWRP, so I’ve created one.

1. While you’re booted to Android download this SuperSU flashable
    2. Remove any Android devices from your PC
    3. On your Windows PC download Drivers.zip and install both of the files
    4. Enable USB debugging on your tablet (heres a video to help)
    5. Connect your tablet to your PC
    6. Download Vi10_TWRP_2.8.7.0.zip, extract it and click on install_twrp.bat
    7 . Input “Y” to reboot to recovery when prompted
    8. Press install, locate your download folder and then select the UPDATE-SuperSU zip file
    9. Reboot when it’s installed

Warning:

• I’ve only tested TWRP on my Chuwi Vi10 Pro (221511). It should also work on the 32GB version that has the same build number, but it might not work for older versions.
    • I won’t create custom versions of TWRP for your version of the tablet. Use CWM via IntelAndroid-FBRL instead.

Xposed Installer:

Xposed doesn’t work on the tablet by default, but my custom version of it that does.

1. Make sure unknown sources are allowed on yout tablet (Settings > Security)
    2. Download Chuwi_Xposed_Installer.apk and install it
    3. Open the app, go to framework and press install
    4. Reboot when prompted
    5. Open up the app again, go to downloads and search for “Chuwi Tweaks
    6. Download it, install it and then wait for the notification to activate it and reboot

exFAT and NTFS support:

Our version of Android normally can’t read SD cards formatted as exFAT and NTFS, but now it can! I just had to modify a file that Lurker0@XDA originally created.

1. Download chuwi-android-fs-1.0.4-install.zip
    2. Install this app to reboot to recovery (I’ll add an option to Chuwi Tweaks soon)
    3. When in recovery press on install, locate your download folder and then select chuwi-android-fs-1.0.4-install.zip
    4. Reboot when it’s installed

Francisco Guerra
    Participant

its nice to improve the android, it seens a bit more stable then windows 10 at least on my device, thanks for the tutorials

Cosmic Antagonist
    Participant

I done the rooting and Xposed installation yesterday, and I really got bootloop while installed the framework with “official” method. This solution is more simpler than I did yesterday, I have to install Xposed from PC command prompt. But the better screen, the multiuser support, and the new apps for Xposed made the tablet much better device.

Jadrix
    Participant

Is there any other way to install exFAT and NTFS support?? Idon’t have TWRP! Mine Chuwi is 32gb and serial is 221505…Should I try yours TWRP??? Thnx
    BTW nice work ImADev with Chuwi tweaks. Its possible to remove the program names under the icons on the dock bar??

ImADev
    Participant

Should I try yours TWRP???

If you already have root then you should first backup your recovery partition.

1. Download and extract the Vi10_TWRP_2.8.7.0.zip file on your PC
    2. Go to the bin folder, hold shift on your keyboard and then select “Open command window here”
    3. Input the following

adb shell su -c dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p4 of=/storage/emulated/0/recovery_backup.img
    adb pull /storage/sdcard0/recovery_backup.img ./recovery_backup.img
    adb shell rm /storage/sdcard0/recovery_backup.img

Just make sure that the device is found and that recovery_backup.img is created in the bin folder. If it is then you can try installing TWRP on your version of the tablet.

Its possible to remove the program names under the icons on the dock bar??

I use Nova Launcher. That hides the icon names in the dock bar by default.

I done the rooting and Xposed installation yesterday, and I really got bootloop while installed the framework with “official” method. This solution is more simpler than I did yesterday, I have to install Xposed from PC command prompt. But the better screen, the multiuser support, and the new apps for Xposed made the tablet much better device.

Yeah, the official version will cause bootloops unless you use some commands. I didn’t like that, so I made a custom version that works by simply pressing on the install button. It’ll also allow you to fast scroll through the downloads list, which the official version doesn’t.

Jadrix
    Participant

Thank you so much ImADev. I backup the recovery partition, now I have a recovery_backup.img. Tomorrow I will try to install the TWRP recovery. Hope if something goes wrong you can help me to restore a backup. Thnx

ImADev
    Participant

If it doesn’t work for you then just hold down the power button until the tablet switches off and then power it on as you normally would.

The easy way to restore your backup would be to delete recovery.img and rename your recovery_backup.img file to recovery.img. You’ve then just got to click on the install_twrp.bat file again.

Jadrix
    Participant

OK, installed successfully TWRP! Touch screen not working in TWRP but with USB mouse problem solved 🙂 Also installed successfully a patch for NTFS and ExFat but unfortunately is not working on my tablet so I will keep my Paragon NTFS & HFS+. THANK YOU VERY MUCH ImADev for all your help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ImADev
    Participant

I guess 221505 must have a different touch screen. It’s a shame that Chuwi keeps changing the hardware as it makes it difficult to support the tablets.

The exFAT and NTFS driver should work perfectly for any version of the Chuwi Vi10, so when you say that it’s not working for you what do you mean exactly? e.g. does it show the SD card and is your SD card formatted as exFAT?

Jadrix
    Participant

I try only with USB pen drive NTFS formatted…see attached picture.
    PD: ups sorry…my mistake, I loose a little detail- is only for SD card. Great, I will try it !ater! THNX a lot again!!!
    PPD: Tried with NTFS formatted microSD and NOT working. Appeared the same message like USB drive. Android recognized it only mounted with Paragon NTFS.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Fernando Marquez
    Participant

now an upgrade to lollipop!!! please!   that would turn this tablet to a real gsme changer!

ImADev
    Participant

I try only with USB pen drive NTFS formatted…see attached picture. PD: ups sorry…my mistake, I loose a little detail- is only for SD card. Great, I will try it !ater! THNX a lot again!!! PPD: Tried with NTFS formatted microSD and NOT working. Appeared the same message like USB drive. Android recognized it only mounted with Paragon NTFS.

I’ll check NTFS myself shortly, but can you check that exFAT is working? Windows and Android should both be able to use it. It’ll handle larger files too, so it’s really the recommended method.

now an upgrade to lollipop!!! please! that would turn this tablet to a real gsme changer!

That’s almost impossible due to the lack of a source. You’d probably have better luck running the x86 Remix OS.

Jadrix
    Participant

Try with exFAT formatted and the story is the same, not working 🙁 Maybe I can try to re-flash the file?!

Attachments:
    ImADev
    Participant

You should reflash the file to make sure that it’s being installed correctly.

The files had almost 60 downloads at XDA and nobody has said that it’s not working for them.

Jadrix
    Participant

Hi again. Reflash the file and same problem. Not working.

Attachments:
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar