[TUTORIAL] Rooting Android, installing Xposed and more

[TUTORIAL] Rooting Android, installing Xposed and more

TechTablets Forums Chuwi Forums Chuwi Vi10 Discussion [TUTORIAL] Rooting Android, installing Xposed and more

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    ImADev
    Participant

Can you install a file manager that supports root e.g. ES File Explorer and go to /storage/ to check what devices are listed there?

You should have emulated, sdcard0 and usbcard1. When you put in a compatible SD card though then you’ll have sdcard1 too.

In /system/etc/ you should see install-recovery-2.sh, which is a file that was added to mount the SD card.

Jadrix
    Participant

On the screenshot 1 you can see listed all devices. My PNY microSD 64gb fat32 is device SDCARD1 and SDCARD0 is empty. When insert exFAT or NTFS microSD card the both devices appears empty with error message on top left side (screenshot 3) and yes, the file “install-recovery-2.sh” is present (screenshot 2). I also uninstall Paragon NTFS program but nothing change!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    ImADev
    Participant

Try the version I put in this post.

Theres no major difference between the two zip files, but this one is confirmed to be working on an enirely different model too.

Jadrix
    Participant

No luck, the same story 🙁 Thank you very much for all your support ImADev I will continue using Paragon NTFS program. I am happy with your version of TWRP and Chuwi tweaks! This is more than enough for me. THNX again!

Jadrix
    Participant

YEEEESSSSS!!!! I restored the old backup made with Macrium and flash again your file and now is working!!!! THNX a lot ImADev

ImADev
    Participant

That’s good news 🙂 I guess something you might of installed at some point was conflicting with the mod.

exFAT is the recommended partition type by the way as it’s better optimized for SD cards.

Jonathan
    Participant

@ImADev, firsly thanks for the rooting guide and the TWRP recovery, I have to confess I didn’t even know what TWRP was a few days ago but I’ve since realised how usefull it is.

With regards to the touchscreen working/not working I think there are two main versions of the Vi10. Someone here got Remix working on the version of the Vi10 that your TWRP doesn’t work on. I’m guessing it would be possible to transfer the drivers/firmware from this to support the other HW version if you felt so inclined. Presumably the reverse would be true also, i.e. a version of Remix that works on the alternative HW?

BTW, there’s a bug on the TWRP recovery that causes the screen to flicker when the screen turns off and on again but I’m guessing that there’s little that can be done about that.

Anyway great work, thanks…

ImADev
    Participant

You’d need to copy over some files from a kernel dump. It doesn’t always work out well if there are a lot of changes though, so it could be hard to officially support other revisions of the Vi10.

As we don’t have an official kernel source to work with there are some oddities. I’d love to fix them all, but it’s an awful lot of work for a tablet that’s not very popular. Plus when you’re using TWRP you’re normally only booted to it for a few minutes max.

One workaround for the screen issue is to disable the timeout. I normally do that and reduce the brightness to 10% so that I don’t use up a lot of the battery.

Jonathan
    Participant

“but it’s an awful lot of work for a tablet that’s not very popular”

You are correct, it is and the lack of source code is disgraceful.

Out of interest what do you mean by “kernel dump” please?

ImADev
    Participant

Thanks to whoever sticked my thread! 🙂

@jonathan

You’d create a backup of your Android kernel and then extract it. From that you’ll get the modules that you’ll need for the recovery image.

The only reason I’ve said that I won’t support other revisions of the Vi10 is because TWRP is a powerful tool that I can only test on the 221511 revision. I wouldn’t want to release something that I’ve not tested and then have it go horribly wrong e.g. it corrupts a few partitions or it deletes all of them.

If someone understood the risks and gave me a copy of their kernel then I’d try to modify TWRP for them, but if it didn’t work or something went horribly wrong then that’s their own fault and they’d need to fix it themselves.

Jonathan
    Participant

@ImADev, thanks for the info and believe me I understand your concerns about releasing untested hacks of this type.

BeMoo
    Participant

@ImADev, my 64gb sd card arrived today so I want to try your exFAT and NTFS tweak.

For the record, this tweak ‘only’ makes it possible to read the card? It doesn’t change Kitkat’s write-to-sd restriction?

If it doesn’t, you have any tips to make this hapen? Can I use just any (root) app from the play store?

ImADev
    Participant

For the record, this tweak ‘only’ makes it possible to read the card? It doesn’t change Kitkat’s write-to-sd restriction?

It makes Android capable of reading and writing to exFAT and NTFS partition. Without the mod it doesn’t support either.

ImADev
    Participant

It makes Android capable of reading and writing to exFAT (recommended) and NTFS partitions. Without the mod it doesn’t support either.

The writing restrictions are the same as they always are, but this app should change that. I’ve not tested it myself though.

Normally I’d suggest using an Xposed module such as this one so that you’re not making permanent changes to the system partiton. I guess you can’t do that though as you can’t use Xposed.

BeMoo
    Participant

Thanks for the reply @ImADev, so your saying the script is needed for writing but is not enough. One needs an additional app too, right? I will try it and report back to you 😉

You are using the same Vi10-version as me so I wanna ask you something else. Is your audio with Android also weird? With Windows all is fine but with Android the audio sound strange (maybe some kind of gain-control?).

Example; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngElkyQ6Rhs

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar