Weird power characteristics of the n3450?

Weird power characteristics of the n3450?

TechTablets Forums Chuwi Forums Chuwi LapBook Series Weird power characteristics of the n3450?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Sx C
    Participant

I am obsessed with efficiency and keep track of the power consumption with HWinfo just so i can determine which are the more efficient programs for use with browsing; movies etc.

One thing i have noticed is that the n3450 has ridiculously high GT cores power wattage at 1.9w even when i am not doing anything and just have hwinfo running. I have tested processors from a i5 sandy bridge up till a skylake m3 and their only sits at <0.1w when idle.

Does other lapbook owner also has this problem or is my lapbook or n3450 somewhat defective?

Phoenix
    Participant

Seems the same here… lowest i have seen 1.899 @ GT Cores…

Should it be lower when idle?

Robert
    Participant

Hi, mine is at 0.0w (GT Core), <0.1w (IA cores), <0.1w (DRAM) while idle but 1.9w Uncore (estimated).

Afiak Uncore is everything else but core (L3 Cache, Memory Controller, PCI Express controller) These Parts cant be at 0w @idle otherwise the system would be off.

I am using CoreTemp 1.6

ezbook user
    Participant

Looking at the CoreTemp 1.6 values, my GT Core is always at 3W when idling. I tried changing graphics settings to balanced mode and to maximum battery life; it is still the same. Any ideas?

Chris G
    Keymaster

Try updating drivers? Maybe it’s not clocking itself down?

I’ll check my power use.

Chris | Admin
    Please support us and help keep TechTablets online. Affiliate revenue is used to pay for the server, studio apartment (Techtablets HQ) and buy new tech to review. Without it, this site would be dead.
    Next up for review:
    Ordered and waiting for my: BMAX S15 & Teclast F6 Plus
    Currently testing: LG G8X & Redmi K30

Piotr
    Participant

@ Chris – Did You check Your power usage? How does it look like?

I’ve read this post and another one about low geekbench score (https://techtablets.com/forum/topic/low-geekbench-score/) and went to check my lapbook. I found out, that my geekbench is also low (~1100 single core) and power draw is high (GTCores in CoreTemp ~3W when idle). What’s more, CPU under stress almost never go more than 1,5GHz and when idle (800MHz) it has pretty high voltage (1.07V).

So I uninstall Intel HD Graphics and left Windows on generic graphics driver. It fixed everything. Geekbench is now more than 1400 points, CPU easily go for 2.1GHz and power draw is lower – GTCores shows 0.1W when idle nad CPU voltage on idle went down to 0.860V.

But now, I cannot put my lapbook to sleep and cannot control brightness…

Piotr
    Participant

Hi, mine is at 0.0w (GT Core), <0.1w (IA cores), <0.1w (DRAM) while idle but 1.9w Uncore (estimated). Afiak Uncore is everything else but core (L3 Cache, Memory Controller, PCI Express controller) These Parts cant be at 0w @idle otherwise the system would be off. I am using CoreTemp 1.6

What Intel HD Graphics drivers do You use?

sksiong
    Participant

Guys, try update yr BIOS to latest version.   After i update the bios, my benchmark score go up and the cpu temp seem to go down.   BIOS 20161230

Piotr
    Participant

Thanks! This is it. After BIOS update, everything looks fine – GPU power draw, voltages and CPU runs at full speed.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar