Windows Shuts Off

Windows Shuts Off

TechTablets Forums Chuwi Forums Chuwi HiBook Discussion Windows Shuts Off

This topic contains 17 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Andy B 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Chris
    Participant

Hi

Hoping someone can help with this issue. My Hi-Book randomly shuts off in Windows if running on battery not plugged in. It is fine in Android just  happens in Windows does anyone else have this problem and found a fix for it.

Thanks

German
    Participant

Hi

I have the same Issue, on android too, i think is a Bios configuration problem

Andy B
    Participant

Did you guys mess around with BIOS settings?  Have you checked the Windows Event Viewer for hints?

Philippians 2:4 Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others.

German
    Participant

HI Andy

Where can i finde this? In bios or Windows log?

Andy B
    Participant

The Windows Event Viewer is found by clicking on the Start button and typing “event” – you’ll see “Event Viewer” suggested in the search.  It’s also found in the Control Panel, or by running the command “eventvwr” from the command prompt or Run box.  Once it opens, expand Windows Logs, and look through the “Application” and “System” logs.  I suggest looking for warnings (yellow) and errors (red) from just before the crash/shutdown, or just after.

Philippians 2:4 Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others.

Adrian
    Participant

Its not a bios issue. I faced the same problem and have solved mine.

What you need to do is to open up the tablet. On the main board, there is an EMI shield that doubles as a heatsink. Ensure that the metal piece is fully in contact with the 2 thermal pads below, one on the Intel SoC and the other on the power management chip. Note that there are quite a few pieces of tiny clips around the perimeter of this EMI shield. The shield edges have to be inserted in between these clips all around, and the bottom edge of the shield should be flush against the PCA. Then make sure that the large grey thermal pads are in contact with both the EMI shield, and the back metal cover.

It is this PM chip that is overheating and cutting off power to everything. It is also the reason why plugged in it doesn’t shut off as the PM chip isn’t working when its plugged in.

Once that is done, your problem will be solved. Hope this helps.

Chris
    Participant

Thanks Adrian, that makes alot of sense I will try this. Was it very hard to locate them on the board?

Much appreciated

Cheers

Chris
    Participant

Hi Adrian

Would it be possible for you to take a picture ? Was the the shield able to be bent on a concave to put pressure?

Daniele Mandato
    Participant

Its not a bios issue. I faced the same problem and have solved mine. What you need to do is to open up the tablet. On the main board, there is an EMI shield that doubles as a heatsink. Ensure that the metal piece is fully in contact with the 2 thermal pads below, one on the Intel SoC and the other on the power management chip. Note that there are quite a few pieces of tiny clips around the perimeter of this EMI shield. The shield edges have to be inserted in between these clips all around, and the bottom edge of the shield should be flush against the PCA. Then make sure that the large grey thermal pads are in contact with both the EMI shield, and the back metal cover. It is this PM chip that is overheating and cutting off power to everything. It is also the reason why plugged in it doesn’t shut off as the PM chip isn’t working when its plugged in. Once that is done, your problem will be solved. Hope this helps.

Thanks for sharing the tip, but how do i open my tablet? it’s too much ask you to make a video on youtube?

Adrian
    Participant

Unfortunately I didn’t take any photos when I opened up mine, but I’ll see what I can do tonight when I get back from work.

It is pretty simple to open up, you’ll have to remove 4 tiny Torx T4 sized screws on the for sides of the tablet, then use a guitar pick or some soft, flat wedge-like tool to open it up by releasing the plastic clips around the perimeter of the display assembly. I used takeaway bamboo chopsticks that I carved out with a pocket knife. Don’t use the pocket knife or you’ll damage the plastic and aluminum body.

Once its open you can’t miss it. There is only one printed circuit board staring at you with a silver coloured EMI shield stuck onto it.

Take caution though, the there are several small pieces that will fall out when you open it up, the power/volume rocker switch, and maybe the 4 magnets. The magnets have an orientation, so if they fall out, make sure they go back in the correct way, else when you try to attach the keyboard, the wrong orientation will repel the keyboard instead of sticking on.

Chris
    Participant

Did you remove the shield ? I see 2 thermal pads on top of the shield is there more thermal pads below the shield? If yes how did you adjust the thermal pads if they weren’t touching the PM chip?

mayur
    Participant

was anyone able to solve this issue? i m having same problem and only in windows. tablet works normally then sudden death. if i try to start it up again at that point, the only way a successful start is possible if i attach the charger.. if anyone have found a solution that does not involve an open heart surgery then please help. i m a little apprehensive of opening up just as i have recieved it..

Chris
    Participant

First try updating the BIOS, it will be only possible fix without opening. If that doesn’t work you will have to open. What I did was when tablet open I took a roll of tape and lightly rolled on shield to create a little more pressure underneath so the shield Is touching the pads below. Then there is thermal pads on top of the   I folded them to ensure they are touching the tablet case to better dissipate the heat. Since doing this shutdown in Windows doesn’t occur any more (knock on wood)

Adrian
    Participant

There are 2 large thermal pads on top of the EMI shield, and another 2 smaller ones beneath it if you pry up the shield. I didn’t have time to re open mine as I’m busy with new baby in the house.

Make sure that the 2 small pads make good contact with the IC and the shield, and the 2 large grey pads on top make good contact with both the shield and the metal back cover.

I think that besides this thermal issue, there are some other power management issues involved. For my unit, if my battery is <50%, and I attach an external HDD, it shuts down. Sounds like OCP kicking in. I’m afraid I won’t have time to debug this, I’m going to put my gadgets aside for a few months and concentrate on being a dad.

If there are bios settings that control this OCP or UVP shutdown, I’m sure it can be tweaked via software. But I haven’t really delved into the bios that much.

One thing for sure is that for me, none of this happens in Android, so it may very well be possible to solve via some sort of BIOS/software tweak.

One more thing, if your tablet doesn’t have any display, check that the ribbon cable for the display is plugged in. I’ve seen a friend of mine had his unplugged…

mayur
    Participant

I just received the USB HUB thats working alright. now i am waiting on the torx screw driver to be delivered. i dont have any that size available inhouse.
    i am going to try bios update first. lets see if that helps. after that when i recieve the screw driver i will do that also.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password