Windows 10 Upgrade/Clean installation guide for dummies!

Windows 10 Upgrade/Clean installation guide for dummies!

TechTablets Forums Chuwi Forums Chuwi Hi8 Discussion Windows 10 Upgrade/Clean installation guide for dummies!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 83 total)
  • Author
    Gregy
    Participant

Hey Guys,
    I thought i would write up a tutorial on how i did the installation of Windows 10 on my Chuwi Hi8 Tablet, Please note that i do not take responsibility if break/damage your tablet.
    Please note I have upgraded Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 in order to Activate my product key thats aligned to my Microsoft Account, once the upgrade is complete and the product key has been activated it was then a clean installation was performed, I strongly suggest to upgrade first before performing the clean installation.

I hope this helps 🙂

——————————————–
    Hardware Wise:
    OTG Cable
    3 Port USB Hub
    8Gb USB Flash Drive (fat32)
    USB Mouse & Keyboard
    USB Wireless Dongle
    6Gb Minimum HDD on the Tablet is required
    ——————————————–

Software Wise:
    Windows 10 Media Creation Tool – Download the correct version suited to your PC not the Tablet
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Rufus – create bootable USB flash drives for both 32 & 64 Bit OS’s
    https://rufus.akeo.ie/

Double Driver – Add this to the Bootable USB with your
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/double_driver.html

Chuwi Hi8 Win 8.1 Drivers Doubledriver (82.7 MiB) & Chuwi Hi8 Touch installer (71.3 KiB)
    http://techtablets.com/downloads-drivers-roms/

——————————————–
    The Upgrade: (Upgrades the OS from 8.1 to 10 with an Activated licence):

Download Windows 10 Home 32-bit version (Supported for you Tablet) via the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool, this may take a while depending on your internet connection.

Whilst your waiting for this to download, have a look at how much space is left on your Tablet as you will be needing at least 6gb in order to install the upgrade, for me i didnt have anything important on the device so i decided to run the recovery and bring the device back to factory standard and making sure it was activated under my Microsoft Account once again without doing all the updates.

Soon as the ISO has been downloaded, Plug in your USB to your PC and run the Rufus app on your PC selecting the Drive that your USB stick is using then click on the small image on far right bottom of the page that looks like hard drive with a CD on top and wait about 10-30 mins for this to complete.

Once completed, fire up your tablet, plug in the OTG adapter and plug in your USB hub with your keyboard/mouse & USB connected.

Once in Windows, go to Windows Explorer and run the Windows installer and follow the prompts, you do not have to download the additional updates just yet as this will contribute to additional space to be taken from your tablet.

Keep clicking next and then let the Tablet take its course in the upgrade procedure, this may take a while to do…

Soon as you have logged into Windows 10, you will need to check your Product Key has been activated if it is your good to go.

——————————————–

Clean Installation: (Clean installation, Deleted Partitions Edition only if Windows 10 is activated):

Power off your device Connect the USB Installer, Wifi dongle, USB keyboard and mouse to your USB Hub/OTG Cable to the Device.

Power on your device and hold down the “ESC” Key when you see the CHUWI Logo, this will take you to another menu then select “”

Choose your Language / Region then click next, then the Product key screen may appear, if so then click skip.

For Clean installation click “Custom Installation”, this will enable you to select the partition and wipe it or otherwise do what i did and delete all the partitions and create a new one (this will give you a total of 29.8gb), the installation process will take about 30+ mins to install.

Once the install has been completed Windows, Log into Windows using your Windows Account, then run Windows Updates and reboot.

When you have rebooted, Run “Double Drivers” application from your USB and then select the folder “Chuwi Hi8 Win 8.1 Drivers Doubledriver” and then click on Restore, during this process Windows will display notifications asking you to install drivers that have not been signed by Microsoft for Windows 10, just keep clicking install and once complete, then reboot the Tablet and then run the windows update to check your drivers once again..

And your done!

——————————————–

Chris G
    Keymaster

Nice work! I will sticky this one.

Chris | Admin
    Please support us and help keep TechTablets online. Affiliate revenue is used to pay for the server, studio apartment (Techtablets HQ) and buy new tech to review. Without it, this site would be dead.
    Next up for review:
    Ordered and waiting for my: BMAX S15 & Teclast F6 Plus
    Currently testing: LG G8X & Redmi K30

Paschalis
    Participant

Hi guys, one question.

I’m gonna order this tablet today. Is it possible that this tablet is gonna be saled with Windows 10/Android lollipop preinstalled? Should I maybe wait? If not, when I get the tablet in about a month must I follow this guide or is chuwi gonna release an OTA upgrade? Does this guide affect the android partition?

PS: does anyone know what is the cheapest site right now?

Gregy
    Participant

Hey Paschaslis,

Good question however i would assume it would be dependant on what stock the supplier has at the time, who know they may have more old stock and sell it cheaper just to off load them to make way for the upgraded OS.

When i upgraded my Tablet (Hi8) to Windows 10, I had no problems at all with accessing the Android OS and everything still worked, one thing i will strongly suggest when you do decide to get one is to do  a factory reset on the android system first followed by a Windows 8.1 recovery as i noticed when i received my tablet it was already registered to a dummy account, especially with Windows 8.1 you want that key to be registered under you Microsoft account prior to you upgrading.

My guide above will affect the android partition if you delete them via the “Clean Installation” process.

I hope this helps 🙂

P.S Windows 10 is really nice on this device

Peter Scharf
    Participant

nothing happens, when i press Esc

Gregy
    Participant

Hello Peter,

Hmm have you tried using another keyboard at all ?

I was using a wireless Logitech keyboard which seemed to do that trick for me.

Péter Kiss
    Participant

Hello there

My problem is that in the boot manager i cant see my flash drive.

-----CHUWI HI8-----

Gregy
    Participant

Hey Péter, Just make sure your Flhas drive has been formatted in FAT 32 and not NTFS otherwise the bootloader wont see it, Run the image again through RUFUS and make sure its formatted in FAT 32 and your should be good to go 🙂

Adrian Fedele
    Participant

If you do the upgrade process, this doesn’t interrupt the Android OS correct?

Peter Scharf
    Participant

yes, i used another Keyboard, but nothing happend, even if i use del

i tried to boot up with [power] + [Vol Up]. In this case, i got the menue with 6 different Icons, incl. the boot menue, but if i press the Vol-Button i just can Switch between the first 2 Icons an i can’t choose one, nothing happens, if i press power…

Péter Kiss
    Participant

ok, i did the second (flasing) methold you provided, so how can i activate it now?

thanks for your help

-----CHUWI HI8-----

Gregy
    Participant

Hey Adrian, thats correct upgrading windows 8.1 to 10 via windows directly will not change any of the partitions and the existing application on the tablet will remain 🙂

Gregy
    Participant

Hey Peter Scharf, that is really strange as you should be able to enter the boot menu from hitting the escape Key on your keyboard, have you tried just connecting the keyboard to the OTG Cable ? sounds like something is a miss ?

Actually when your in Windows 8.1 does the keyboard still work or any USB Device for that matter ?..

Gregy
    Participant

Hey Péter,

Not sure what you mean by your last comments but I’m assuming that you have gone ahead and done a clean install of Windows 10 ?

If so your going to need to reload the original Windows 8.1 images back onto the tablet and re-do the upgrade method i have advised, the only way for your copy of Windows 10 to get activated is via upgrading Windows 8.1  to Windows 10 first, it is then you are able to perform a clean installation of Windows 10 as your Microsoft account becomes your Windows 10 product key.

I would assume the easiest way to restore the tablet is via downloading the original Windows 8.1 images in the download section and installing this back onto the tablet (not sure if you will need to restore all the 20+ partitions that where on it as i have never done this part before) or if you have just clean installed the the windows C drive partition which is about 20 gb all you need to do is run the Recovery image which is on the tablet this should restore the device back to factory standard..

I hope this helps

Péter Kiss
    Participant

Everything is fine now, thank you

-----CHUWI HI8-----

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 83 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar