Windows 10 Upgrade/Clean installation guide for dummies!

Windows 10 Upgrade/Clean installation guide for dummies!

TechTablets Forums Chuwi Forums Chuwi Hi8 Discussion Windows 10 Upgrade/Clean installation guide for dummies!

Viewing 8 posts - 76 through 83 (of 83 total)
  • Author
    Rozapk
    Participant

nothing happens, when i press Esc

Michael V Tice
    Participant

I* must congratulate you, sir. I have been going nuts for 10 hours trying to reinstall Windows 10 on my brand new Chuwi Hi8 after a Windows update went horribly wrong. I could not get the darn thing to see my USB thumb drive. Every article I read insisted the drive be formatted to NTFS. Yours said to format it Fat32. Who knew it could be such a simple little thing as that. Windows is on its way back up now. Thank you!!

Michael V Tice
    Participant

Well, I do have Windows back. However, battling with the network driver/no wifi and no touchscreen issues now. Once I figure it out, I’ll update this post so that maybe someone else can avoid my frustration.

I -WILL- beat this thing. Never give up NEVER SURRENDER !!

SS
    Participant

I’ve got my touchscreen to work using DoubleDriver restore of all Drivers. Wifi still doesn’t work.

THI
    Participant

Wifi doesnt work for me either just red cross and no wifi networks found.

NickyP
    Participant

Hi, Many thanks for your hard work and guidance! I have a Chuwi Hi8 Pro. I generally followed your clean installation guide with a few differences and managed to succesfully clean install the latest version of Windows (April 2018 version 1803). I had removed Android beforehand for space reasons, but when I tried to install the 1803 “upgrade” it failed spectacularly and managed to destroy Net Framework in the process. This in turn caused many apps to fail. I tried many times to repair/upgrade, then gave up and decided to bite the bullet and re-install W10 from scratch. It turned out to be pretty painless.

Here are a few differences in the process I employed:

• The Windows Creation tool was directly used to download W10  and create the USB drive. I did not need Rufus. I accepted the automatic naming of the drive given by the tool.
    • Before starting the process I made a backup of all the drivers (non microsoft) on the tablet with Double Driver, and reinstalled them after W10 installed.
    • I used a 2-hub c type USB (power supply attached) with a keyboard/mouse dongle and the USB drive created by the Windoes Media Creation tool. I did not need a wi-fi dongle. Note: the USB Drive had been previously formatted to NTFS but maybe the creation tool reformatted it to something else, I did not check.
    • When I was ready to do the install, with the hub, kb/mouse dongle and USB drive attached, I powered up the tablet and pressing “esc” on the keyboard brought up the BIOS. I think it was the last page of the BIOS where there was a “boot override” option. I chose my sandisk USB drive and away it all went, without any sort of hitch. On one of the many reboots it spent a lot of time “getting ready” (seemed like an age, maybe 15 minutes?) and I was beginning to think something had gone awry when it suddenly finished and went on to the next stage.
    • It is still 32 bit Windows (as the original installation was) , I did not chance installing the 64 bit as I had read somewhere that the BIOS is incompatible on my particular tablet, even though the machine itself is 64 bit.

I think those were the main differences. Everything could not have gone more smoothly.

Thanks again for your excellent guide which made the whole process much less daunting!

C.M.G.
    Participant

Hi

I did everything, now I only have a working win10, but, when I boot the device, the dual boot screen appears. How to delete this?

Thanks

Regards

C.M.G.
    Participant

Hi

I want to download the windows drivers for Hi8 Air but where in download page are they?

Thanks

Viewing 8 posts - 76 through 83 (of 83 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar