Windows 10 Upgrade/Clean installation guide for dummies!

Windows 10 Upgrade/Clean installation guide for dummies!

TechTablets Forums Chuwi Forums Chuwi Hi8 Discussion Windows 10 Upgrade/Clean installation guide for dummies!

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 82 total)
  • Author
    poorbastard
    Participant

Anyone knows how to fix touch screen orientation? Tried a bunch of different touch screen drivers. Or could somebody post a working SileadTouch.fw and driver combo for win10?

Dave
    Participant

Thought I’d add some bits in here.

[MAKE SURE YOU’VE INSTALLED FROM WINDOWS 8 ALREADY OR ACTIVATION WILL NOT OCCUR]

I decided to ‘RESET’ Windows 10. Because I was annoyed with half Chinese/US English settings. Cortana wouldn’t work and I knew there was a whole load of Microsoft settings I wanted turned off. BIG MISTAKE. Windows would not reset, or restart. I just got a blank screen everytime I tried to restart Windows 10.

No option then, but to try and re-install.

– when you first create the USB image, when you download the Media Creation Tool – tell it to use the USB drive(which should be plugged in), this will avoid having to use Rufus. Make sure you install the correct Media Creation Tool for YOUR CURRENT laptop/PC or whatever – install onto the USB stick a 32bit version of Windows 10 though.

– If you do use Rufus, use these settings : Partition scheme etc : GPT Partition scheme for UEFI, File System : FAT32,  Cluster Size : 4096 bytes  (When you select the Windows.ISO it changes these settings, change em back!!)

After this.

– Copy all the drivers for Hi8 to the USB drive, including Double Driver application. As stated in first post. UNZIP DRIVERS to USB DRIVE. Use Winrar or Windows, right click, unzip to ‘folder name’.

Your tablet should boot from the USB drive straight away.

Follow prompts for a new install – when you reach the partitions page, you’re looking to format and install on a drive that is 10GB in size. NOT 7GB in size. (The 7GB one is Android settings and if you format this one, you’ll be trying to figure out how to get Chinese Android back to English!!)

Install away. Because I work in IT and was too lazy to read all the instructions….to do with Double Drive – don’t!!!! Save yourself some time and pain!!!!

Fire up Double Drive from the USB – run it as administrator and select the root directory of all the drivers, that is the one that they’re all in. (Chuwi Hi8 drivers backup doubledriver) – it will find all the drivers – install them all. Even unsigned ones.

Touch screen. You’ll find on restart Windows 10 does tablet mode.  Click on start. On the top left, click on the three lines. At the bottom, click on settings, then System, Tablet Mode. Turn it off. This allows you to do Touch screen.

Go into Device Manager(right click start menu) – you’ll find a device Windows doesn’t know. Right click on this and update the driver, find the directory which has the SileadTouch driver in it (Win 10 SileadTouch-Package_s806_MSSL0001) – update with this driver – you should get touchscreen back. Mine didn’t work at first, but I uninstalled the driver and reinstalled – and it worked.

Now – the OS switcher. I tried the Onda one – but this just kept loading at system runtime. I tried to make a batch file to stop and start the service, but this was kinda cumbersome. Then I found, via this forum, someone who found the correct version of the DualOSSwitcher software. (Attached, but could use going in the downloads section for Chuwi) – install this, reboot and you’ll now have the original functionality. Double click it to return to Android.

Any questions on this process – let me know, having just been through it all!!! Good luck.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    James
    Participant

I reset my device. But i need the touch drivers. I have a 4-way usb hub but when i connect more then one all of them won’t work. So i’m kinda stuck with android. Any advice?

Dave
    Participant

Touch drivers as in my previous post are available to download from this site – use my instructions to install.

If your USB hub isn’t working, try a different one.

charles
    Participant

I just received my chuwi hi8 this morning,but when it was switched on there was an error message saying’computer encountered unexpected error’ and asked to restart.The error message remain there after restart.
    Then i choose to reset my pc in the troubleshooting menu to reset and reinstall windows.Unfortunately the installation stopped at 70% and appeared a message saying’ Hi there let get a few basic things out of the way’ .below there seems like option to choose english;chinese and also see next button.But there was no respond on that page no matter i press the next button or any key of the hi8.
    Can someone help me to solve this problem?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Pedro Ribeiro
    Participant

deleted

Michel Roberge
    Participant

Hey all,

The latest windows 10 update allows us to use the SD card to install app, which gives you a lot more space to work with on this tablet. This is great news. The only thing is I never succeeded in updating this tablet to the new build. I had to download Microsoft Windows Media Creation tool, and enable download updates. Then follow the above tutorial for a clean install. It’s a pain, but totally worth it.

If someone knows how to get the update without reinstalling, I think it would be worthwhile to post it here.

Thanks!

Dave
    Participant

To get to the latest Windows 10 – 1511, I no longer own a Chuwi Hi8, but I do have a Teclast X98 Pro dual boot that flat out refused to update and got stuck at 40% in all attempts.

The solution was to remove the SD card I had forgotten I’d put in! So it’s worth bearing this in mind….

francois salvail
    Participant

i have a Pipo W3F with WIN 8.1 and Android 4.4……so i just have to take the update windows 10 that microsoft told to me to upgrade…….nothing else  ?( with that november windows)   and no SD card in the tablet………wright?

Thanks for the reply.

Dave
    Participant

You have a PIPO, not a Chuwi – so I don’t know.

In theory – yes, accept the Window 10 upgrade from Microsoft, but do make sure you’ve got all the drivers required for the Pipo – especially touchscreen drivers. It’s a good idea to remove the SD card, people have reported upgrades not working due to these being inserted.

francois salvail
    Participant

So i dont have to do the complicated USB boot upgrade like previous post?

because the update is november edition or the latest?

my CPU is       intel Z3735F……….etc etc

http://www.gearbest.com/tablet-pcs/pp_172372.html     here are all specs…..

btw i dont know if i can do a back up image with sofware like acronis true image on a usb stick?  just is case?

is your partition volume is almost the same after upgrade ? mine is 16.4 G and 8.14 G free…………..i have 32 G in all.         the rest is for Android

THANK for your replys and anwer my questions.

P.S.: did not see drivers on that chinese site (pipo) and all the site is in chinese in download section…….oh well…..and did not see

here

francois salvail
    Participant

So it is less trouble than some have to do prior november upgrade?             so dont have to copy tu usb and all stuff……..?

after upgrade is the partition as not swrink  or not smaller?  or less space?        sorry dont know if it is double post

francois salvail
    Participant

Hey Dave……..your Chuwi was a 32 G?  dual boot win 8.1 and Android 4.4?………did you upgrade that tablet directly byMicrosft update? like with you X98  Pro

dont know if a direct update from Microsoft with only 8 G free on a 16 G partition is possible?   so anyone too?

Thanks

your X98 have 64 g…..so………..

francois salvail
    Participant

Dood idea Michel Roberge

cyan
    Participant

i saw blog post on chinagadgetsreviews
    that windows 10 pro also activated + works. or activation only works with windows 10 home ?

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 82 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password