Battery life

Battery life

TechTablets Forums Jumper Discussion EZBook series Battery life

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    sipart
    Participant

Hi I just watched the latest video on the V4 Jumper by Chris and he mentioned battery life of the V4 (about 8hrs) – well I don’t get estimates of anything like that and my jumper charges to 100% OK (as opposed to some owners who have charging issues). I don’t have any tweaks to push the CPU or GPU at all, the brightness set to a middle setting and no high battery app usage (just Firefox and odd YouTube video really). I run a fresh install of Win10 on a 256GB m.2 SSD and have all startup items cleaned up and disabled apart from BatteryBar and Windows Defender.

So I looked for a battery tracker and I found this article about the inbuilt reporting in Win10 – thought I’d share for others to try out and report back:

https://www.windowscentral.com/generate-battery-report-windows-10

And at the base of my report “Current estimate of battery life based on all observed drains since OS install”  4:51:09 – although I have to admit I haven’t done a proper 100% to 0% test so can only use BatteryBar and this report to judge battery life.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    David Stone
    Participant

I get about 4 hours of battery life doing stuff like web browsing. Brightness at 100%, max power limit at the default 9W TDP in the BIOS, both USB ports used. The Windows 10 battery estimate is hopelessly inaccurate.

No idea how everyone else gets 7-8 hours.

It’s one disappointing aspect of this laptop .

John
    Participant

I get about 4 hours of battery life doing stuff like web browsing. Brightness at 100%, max power limit at the default 9W TDP in the BIOS, both USB ports used. The Windows 10 battery estimate is hopelessly inaccurate.

No idea how everyone else gets 7-8 hours.

It’s one disappointing aspect of this laptop .

I get around 5:30 hours, but I usually have the brightness at 40% and do not use the usb ports. Mostly just surfing the net and watching videos.

sipart
    Participant

I get about 4 hours of battery life doing stuff like web browsing. Brightness at 100%, max power limit at the default 9W TDP in the BIOS, both USB ports used. The Windows 10 battery estimate is hopelessly inaccurate. No idea how everyone else gets 7-8 hours. It’s one disappointing aspect of this laptop .

I would say ‘expected’ rather than disappointing considering the price. Most laptops below £500 only get several hours of on time out of batteries. 4-5 is good at this price point (very good really) – I was just questioning 8 hrs as being a bit odd?

David Stone
    Participant

I would say ‘expected’ rather than disappointing considering the price. Most laptops below £500 only get several hours of on time out of batteries. 4-5 is good at this price point (very good really) – I was just questioning 8 hrs as being a bit odd?

My Acer Chromebook 720 would easily get about 8 hours when the battery was new.

My old Acer Timeline 14″ laptop (Windows) also got about the same when new.

4-5 hours is really poor IMO as that doesn’t even get you through a full day. I find that I have to plug this in half way through the day, every day…

Brad
    Participant

My Acer Chromebook 720 would easily get about 8 hours when the battery was new. My old Acer Timeline 14″ laptop (Windows) also got about the same when new. 4-5 hours is really poor IMO as that doesn’t even get you through a full day. I find that I have to plug this in half way through the day, every day…

In your Acer 720 what is the CPU performance, amount of RAM, eMMC/SSD size, and size and resolution of the screen?  I’m guessing ALL of those are significantly below that of the EZB3 Pro making the battery life difference completely understandable, if not acceptable.

David Stone
    Participant

In your Acer 720 what is the CPU performance, amount of RAM, eMMC/SSD size, and size and resolution of the screen? I’m guessing ALL of those are significantly below that of the EZB3 Pro making the battery life difference completely understandable, if not acceptable.

That’s a fair point but then I think of the 10 hours+ I get from the noticeably more powerful, brighter screen’d Dell XPS 13 I use at work and realise the massive difference between a laptop with good battery life and one without!

Norg
    Participant

I have a v2 EZB3 Pro. I don’t think I actually get 8 hours more likely 6 or 7. For the most part, I am just web browsing and doing office work with screen brightness at 25%.

Anyways here is what the battery report shows for “battery life estimates”.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    JL
    Participant

Usually get 7-8, browsing net, youtube, no usb ports, 40% brightness (100% is really bright!)

I have the power limit unlimited.

David Stone
    Participant

Do you work in a darkened room? I don’t understand how anyone can work with 25% brightness during the day as the the maximum brightness of this panel is already pretty low at only about 200nits. 25% would be 50nits!!

sipart
    Participant

I wonder if a couple of people who report 5 to 8 hrs battery life would mind posting the properties of their batteries using HWinfo64.

Here is mine below (my battery life by the Win10 report and BatteryBar 3.6.6 is about 4.5hrs).

General Properties
    Device Name: SR Real Battery
    Manufacturer Name: Intel SR 1
    Serial Number: 123456789
    Unique ID: 123456789Intel SR 1SR Real Battery
    Chemistry:
    Designed Capacity: 48000 mWh
    Full Charged Capacity: 48000 mWh
    Wear Level: 0.0 %

Current Power Status
    Power Status: Discharging
    Current Capacity: 35520 mWh (74.0 %)
    Current Voltage: 7.600 V
    Discharge Rate: -3800 mW

Sx C
    Participant

The battery info is most probably faked and useless anyway, the capacity for one is only 36-37Wh and not 48Wh.

What are you mostly using it for? some task which seems simple might actually be really hard on your cpu especially for a low end cpu which will need to run at turbo speed most of the time.

other than that there are no simple ways of telling if the battery is failing, the easiest method would be to use a multi-meter to determine if there is a huge variation between the cells but other than that you will need specialized equipment.

David Stone
    Participant

General Properties Device Name: SR Real Battery Manufacturer Name: Intel SR 1 Serial Number: 123456789 Unique ID: 123456789Intel SR 1SR Real Battery Chemistry: Designed Capacity: 48000 mWh Full Charged Capacity: 48000 mWh Wear Level: 0.0 % Current Power Status Power Status: Discharging Current Capacity: 35520 mWh (74.0 %) Current Voltage: 7.600 V Discharge Rate: -3800 mW

123456789? Sounds genuine! LOL.

sportnok
    Participant

I get about 6 to 7 hours at 35% brightness just browsing.

SAVVAS
    Participant

Yes me too, 7-8 hours 25%-50%. Yes at first I thought the brightness is not that high but due to matte display it is actually sufficient!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password