BMAX y13 – USB-C not charging

BMAX y13 – USB-C not charging

TechTablets Forums General General Discussion BMAX y13 – USB-C not charging

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    Daniel
    Participant

Hi Folks,
    I think this deserves a own topic, I have my BMAX 13, basically a knock off Teclast F6 Pro, which again is a knock off of a HP 2in1 😀 but that not the real point here, the laptop is very decent for what it is and costs, basically very good.

One issue thou I have, powering it, the provided charger is a proprietary plug charger, so not very convenient for travel now days, when a single USB-C cable can power all my electronics. The manufacturer states, USB-C 2*, and that one USB-C has full functionality, there is a PD icon on one of the USB-C’s. I tried to power it trough USB-C via a Samsung charger, Powerbank, even a Hama 60W charger, nothing works, well at least it does no damage 🙂

I contacted the seller on Aliexpress, and they are very responsive, told me I’m not the only one rising this issue. Does any one has a charger that works with the laptop over USB-C?
    I asked the seller to request the manufacturer to get a BIOS update that would allow USB-C charging, I think this should work (haven’t checked the pins physically) because the PD port not only charges my cell phone, but my S10 runs easily Samsung Dex over the port, so I assume the physical port capable of charging is there, it just seems to be a BIOS item to be added. I know HP hat this a while ago where no USB-C charger worked expect a branded one and a later update to the BIOS solved it.

Please let me know if you have the same issue, as well as if any of you actually has a charger that work.

I will keep you updated on the manufacturers response 🙂

WUNDERHE
    Participant

I have the same problem with my Y13. That’s annoying, because USB-C charging was a reason to buy that thing!

Qon
    Participant

I’m not sure this solves the problem, but I think the charger you use should actually support 12V over Power delivery. Generally the cable that is used should be USB-C to USB-C. If the port on your charger is USB-A (like with most Samsung chargers) or anything else except USB-C you can assume it does not support power delivery.

Also the 12V power delivery is mostly found in older PD chargers, since the latest USB spec is set to: 5V, 9V, 15V, 20V:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e2/USBPowerDeliveryR30V12PowerRule.svg/1920px-USBPowerDeliveryR30V12PowerRule.svg.png

Maybe this helps!

Daniel
    Participant

There is video on YouTube in spanish where someone is charging the Y13 form a Powerbank, and one more YouTube telling he is in deed powering his Y13 from a Xiaomi charger, but gave no details.

I do have a SamsungUSB C charger for my wireless charger that delivers 12v 2.1A as max, I tried it and it does not work either. Unplugging it even rebooted the computer !!! But luckily did no harm.

Would be interested thou if the Y11 USB-C charger would work here or not, since the y11 is only USB-C charged at least per specs.

felince
    Participant

I think there’s a big compatibility problem between USB type-c chargers/power banks/hubs and the USB type-c connector on some of these Chinese devices. Last year I bought a Teclast F6 pro and it will only work with one USB type-c hub bought in China, while another five of different makers will not work. A replacement unit of this laptop was delivered to me and a type-c charger will stop working randomly some times. There’s a reason while these laptops are cheap.

Daniel
    Participant

It may seem so, I got a response form one whose PB works:”The powerbank must be power delivery compatible, and the usb c cable too.” Well I for sure have PD compatible USB-C chargers, but none works. I ordered now one with USB-C Power Delivery 2.0 as well as Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0, will keep you updated if it works. If at least the power bank would work it would be acceptable, I do have as well from Aliexpress a Chinese USB C hub on the way with Built in USB3.1 PD port. Will see about that one as well. Look I understant I buy  cheap, well no not cheap, affordable, one of the cut cost is support right, I can not just go back to the store tell them they falls advertise  USB-C standard, and request my money back. If the manufacturer would just state, proprietary charge, and USB- C charging only compatible with charger XYZ I would buy it anyway as well as order the charger it works with, but leaving us in the dark, and in situations you potentially can kill the device by charging it trough a PD port is something I disagree with and its not about cost or price. Any way I will keep you posted if I find something working, please tell me as well in case someone would have a working charger, or a PD hub that takes any charger and sends only a charge acceptable to the laptop. Like I wrote I like the little fellow really much I dont care about its other flaws, but this one is critical.

Hilus
    Participant

My older Xiaomi MiAir 12.5 notebook could charge over usb-c but only using a charger supplying 20v @ 2.25a or higher. So I think this hit or miss experience with PD chargers could be down to various notebooks using different power delivery-states.

Most lower powered chargers only supply up to 12v @ 2a (24w), while laptops sometimes expect to be charged at 15 or 20v, with at least 2a (30 or 40w). So any random usb-c PD charger still might not be compatible with this notebook, sadly.

Often sellers quote the different PD profiles the charger can supply or show a picture of the charger where the supported PD profiles are shown.

Here an example from an Amazon page about an Aukey charger:
    Model: PA-D5.
    Ingang: AC 100-240 V, 50/60 Hz.
    USB-C-uitgang 1 (18W Power Delivery): 5 V 3 A, 9 V 2 A, 12 V 1,5 A.
    USB-C-uitgang 2 (60W Power Delivery): 5V 3A, 9V 3A, 12V 3A, 15V 3A, 20V 3A.
    Maximaal uitgangsvermogen: 63 W.
    Afmetingen: 67 x 64 x 29 mm.
    Gewicht: 148 g.

Does the supplied charger or manual give soms hints about what the required power delivery profiles could be needed?

felince
    Participant

I understand your frustration. At the end I persuaded my Chinese friend to exchange her hub with mine, which was new, because I couldn’t make the laptop work with any other hub (I needed video out and five different hubs that I bought from amazon didn’t work). Maybe the easiest way is to ask to the Spanish youtuber about the exact model of the power bank he used.

Chris G
    Keymaster

It’s shown here:

But my PowerAdd Power delivery power bank works well on my Y13. about 11.6W charge rate only according to Battery Bar Pro.

Overall very happy with my Y13 and I think I’ll keep it, it will replace my Aerobook which is faster but I prefer touch support. Also should have the Y11 this week to also review which is basically the Tecalst F5 but with a harder to see keyboard and less battery life.

Chris | Admin
    Please support us and help keep TechTablets online. Affiliate revenue is used to pay for the server, studio apartment (Techtablets HQ) and buy new tech to review. Without it, this site would be dead.
    Next up for review:
    Ordered and waiting for my: BMAX S15 & Teclast F6 Plus
    Currently testing: LG G8X & Redmi K30

Daniel
    Participant

Thanks Chris,

I got a No Brand Power Bank today, it works as well, I think it need the 12V 1.5 Amp setting, thou I have no way to measure it. That means the laptop deviates from USB-C standards, but it works, its a bit inconvenient to charge via Brick, but hey at least is works. Next goal is to find a HUB that would take any strong enough power brick and step it down so the BMAX would accept it, a HUB is something I carry any way, and having that would solve all of me worries. For now the PB will have to do 🙂

WUNDERHE
    Participant

I ordered the “OMARS”-Power-Bank from the spanish youtube-video and it arrived me today. It charges the Y13 – so I am happy now 🙂

Daniel
    Participant

Hi Folks

so my PB works, my USB-C hub with PD dont, but I think I cracked the mystery, I think, and will this confirm once my new power brick arrives, that the Laptop is not build on USB-C PD standards, but rather on Qualcomm Quick Charge (3.0) which delivers 12V, so I’m now looking for a USB Hub with QC 3.0.  As well as that I ordered a power brick with QC 3.0. Will keep you updated  further.

WUNDERHE
    Participant

I have another small problem with the Y13: Where are the keys PageUp and PageDown?

Ajeet Tailor
    Participant

Hi all,

Along with the issue of not being able to charge using the usb-c port (I’ve tried several different charging devices), I also regularly get windows crash with the dreaded blue screen suggesting memory fault. Is anyone else getting that? If so, please advise how to fix. I can live without the usb-c charging but not with the Blue Screen of Death.

Thanks

Daniel
    Participant

Hmm thats bad, I would say try to get aftersale support, this is most probably a warranty issue, I haven’t taken mine apart, but I guess, the RAM will be soldered in, so either find a really skilled SMD HW guy, or try to send it back, or just to make sure, reinstall windows from factory reset, update all drivers, and in BIOS reduce RAM frequency to minimum. I haven’t really stresstested mine so I can’t tell, but I dont have a blue screen.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar