EZBook 3 Pro – Life after death?

EZBook 3 Pro – Life after death?

TechTablets Forums Jumper Discussion EZBook series EZBook 3 Pro – Life after death?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Ostap
    Participant

Same with my jumper ezbook 3 pro v4. I will try and see if I can get a free diagnose from one of the pc repair shops and share de results here.

Brad
    Participant

maybe try disconnecting the batter, holding the power button for 10-20 secs, plugging it back in,

Tried it.  No go. Doesn’t work.  Last resort I tore the whole computer apart down to the motherboard and even disconnected the monitor and put everything back together just to see if something had a bad contact or something was shorted out.  Didn’t help.  Still same result.

Brad
    Participant

Same with my jumper ezbook 3 pro v4. I will try and see if I can get a free diagnose from one of the pc repair shops and share de results here.

How did your failure happen initially?  and how long was it working before it failed and would no longer startup?  Is it same exact symptoms as mine…. 1/2 second blue light then nothing for a couple seconds then blue light comes on and stays on?

Wolf
    Participant

Well,

I do not like to read that in many cases JUMPER is blamed if the system broke down after it had been changed in such a way. It may have nothing to do with jumper`s hardware and it was simply caused by something different or mistakes. It is easy to blame JUMPER but where is a proove that it was not caused by a users mistake ?

The system did not die in 60 days as written in the headline or topic. Simply the user had changed the system and then somewhat later it had died in a mysterious way.

Good luck - WOLF

Brad
    Participant

@wolf, that is a completely retarded statement.  You must know nothing about how computers work.  I have over 20 years experience in software QA, testing, support,etc. (BS Comp. Sci. Engineer).  The fact that the system was working fine for many weeks as I installed and configured it (and additionally helped *dozens* of other Jumper users configure dual-boot Linux/Windows on there **still-working** systems) proves that it was a hardware failure.  The system just stopped working after shutting it down and restarting it as I did dozens of times before and without changing anything.  Anyway, if the hardware was still working it should be possible to reset the BIOS defaults and reinstall the system – obviously, duh!

BTW, there have been multiple reports of my failure symptoms – dead screen w/blue power light w/no way to see or reset BIOS settings.

If you don’t know what you’re talking about it’s better to just keep your pie hole shut.

Brad
    Participant

ame with my jumper ezbook 3 pro v4. I will try and see if I can get a free diagnose from one of the pc repair shops and share de results here.

Anything?

Chupa
    Participant

there are enough people with defect parts of their Jumper, why not scrap it and sell it for parts?
    Or like some body else did, buy the same model and swap the defect part and send it back for a full refund?
    If there is no warranty or service, get creative.

Need Help?
    1981 soldered my first Sinclair computer 1K, tapedeck * 1984 build and sold IBM clones 8Mhz, 512K, 20MB HDD * 2018 messing with ultrabooks

Lee Davison
    Participant

I would love to pay you some money for the M.2 expansion board for my jumper. Finding it impossible to locate one anywhere, and the dealer that shipped my Jumper doesn’t want to know 🙁

Chupa
    Participant

Aliexpress is your friend
    M.2 NGFF to M.2 NGFF SSD 42mm Adapter Convert Card with…

€ 3,92

Need Help?
    1981 soldered my first Sinclair computer 1K, tapedeck * 1984 build and sold IBM clones 8Mhz, 512K, 20MB HDD * 2018 messing with ultrabooks

Rafa
    Participant

You could try put the bios update files on the root of a SD card, and ssd  And USB stick or both. And boot up.

I have read cases of people reviving laptops with dead bios that way.

Sometimes a bios won’t load if there is anything broken. Like a defective SSD. Disconecting it or Replacing it could revive it and let you boot from USB stick or external disk.

Perhaps the bios thinks the SSD is defective and shuts down , perhaps the hibernation messed up the SSD with big files all over the bootloader and the bios doesn’t like it.. It wouldn’t be the first time hibernation completely smashed my GRUB . But of course normal computers will still be able to enter bios even there are no disks plugged. But with these little laptops made by China might not be the same

Once I changed the firmware of a router following a manual, making a JTAG device out of an old phone charger with a RS-232. And connecting those cables.to the motherboard of the router  , and opening a telnet to COM1 where the Rs232 was plugged. It was awesome. I followed the friendly manual step by step and felt like a hacker.

Maybe you can do something like that.

Chupa
    Participant

That is a good tip.
    You always should fall back to the factory original setup in case of too much trouble.
    Remove what you changed
    Flash back the original BIOS
    Reinstall factory Windows with all the factory drivers

But sometimes electronics just malfunction
    and it just craps out on you.
    I killed a Samsung Galaxy S2 by just using a different usb cable what works on other Galaxies S5 and two Note3 and a Tab3 perfect
    Total normal USB charging and data cable, plug in and poof – it´s dead.

Remember things are designed to fail after a while (google Apple an this topic)

Need Help?

Brad
    Participant

Ugh… so strange.  After pulling my hair out and trying everything to get it working, including completely tearing it apart even taking the screen out, and putting it back together… nothing. So it sat for months in a drawer. Then today when thinking about throwing it away or giving parts away to other people, I plugged it in just for kicks.  After about 10 minutes I pushed the power button …. and of course… the damn thing appears to have started up – none of the same temporary blue light-on behavior .
    I can push F7, enter, and other buttons and it looks to have started up.  The problem (big problem) is, I broke/cracked the screen when I tore it apart and put it back together because the image on the screen is completely garbled and I cannot see anything readable.  I’ll have to get a mini-HDMI cable to see if it works with an external monitor.  (Anyone know if that would work by default? … if it requires turning something on in the BIOS I’m hosed).
       I’m sure I completely discharged the main battery before (plus unplugging it did nothing), so is there some other battery supplying the BIOS and/or NVRAM chips?  I don’t understand what could have change with it sitting in a drawer for over 3 months other than battery discharge and losing some kinda config.

Brad
    Participant

Will see if HDMI cable to monitor works.

Brad
    Participant

Well for anyone curious about this bizarre ordeal… Now that it seemed to “come back from the dead” I connected it to an external monitor and yes it’s booting up Windows and working fine!  Some monkeying around with my rEFInd boot manager multi-boot config and I got it to now show the bootup Jumper logo splash screen and rEFInd bootup menu so I can now choose to boot up into either Windows, Manjaro, or Linux Mint.
    So everything is working now except the screen is still broken (cracked – my fault). So it now becomes a desktop-only system.  Better than nothing I suppose.  What a bizarre thing though.  How could this happen?  3 months sitting unplugged has discharged some kind of long term config in NVRAM or battery supplying juice to the BIOS chip?
    I don’t need another desktop machine, but I guess I will keep it as a backup machine if my current notebook stops working.
    One thing is for sure. I will not ever put it into “hibernate” mode in Linux again… the last thing I remember doing before it originally died on me.

Chris G
    Keymaster

Sounds like the bios lost all data and reset to defaults. And then it’s back up and running.

Chris | Admin
    Please support us and help keep TechTablets online. Affiliate revenue is used to pay for the server, studio apartment (Techtablets HQ) and buy new tech to review. Without it, this site would be dead.
    Next up for review:
    Ordered and waiting for my: BMAX S15 & Teclast F6 Plus
    Currently testing: LG G8X & Redmi K30

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar