Linux Mint on Chuwi Hi10 & Hi12 Tablets

Linux Mint on Chuwi Hi10 & Hi12 Tablets

TechTablets Forums Chuwi Forums Chuwi Hi10 Discussion Linux Mint on Chuwi Hi10 & Hi12 Tablets

This topic contains 431 replies, has 58 voices, and was last updated by  Brad 6 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 432 total)
  • Author

BBaker
    Participant

I’m confused.  You’re using Linux?  Why not just use Unetbootin then?
    On Windows, just use the Fedora Live USB tool:
    Windows installer: liveusb-creator-3.12.0-setup.exe (13M).

• SHA1: ed3c8355821d419e68f3e7cce0ceef4c5b42aafb

Note the “persistent storage” slider on the right of the window: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/39/Fedora_Live_USB_creator.png/300px-Fedora_Live_USB_creator.png

Anonymous

I did use Unetbootin

I read that Unetbootin did not provide for changes. (“Not persistent”?)

You suggested Etcher.io so I pursued that.

Once I undo whatever it is that I did to my directory I can move on.

BBaker
    Participant

What I said was that Unetbootin does persistence using Linux (not windows) and that Etcher looked interesting but I’ve never tried it.
    The Fedora tool doesn’t look easy either.  Some people recommend this Universal USB Installer which also does persistence: http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/  Note that all of them only allow up to 4GB storage, perhaps that’s due to FAT32 format?

BBaker
    Participant

Interesting that Clonezilla does not recommend Unetbootin but lists other methods… http://clonezilla.org/liveusb.php

Anonymous

There’s also YUMI and MultiSystem and others.

Who might know how to safely undo the mount mess I made?

@destry or ??

I don’t want to move on to anything until I do that.

BBaker
    Participant

What mount mess?  After you rebooted, what problems are you observing?

Anonymous

What mount mess? After you rebooted, what problems are you observing?

I didn’t reboot because I wasn’t sure that was the wise thing to do.

Was what I did only temporary & should clear when I reboot?

BBaker
    Participant

The mount command by itself makes no permanent changes to your file system.

Anonymous

OK, had to catch up on another project, but did reboot this laptop and all looks well.

It’s too late to get into the Linux Mint USB stick burning now – will see about that tomorrow and report back.

Thanks!

Anonymous

Did you see my post over here

http://techtablets.com/forum/topic/linux-on-atom-based-devices/page/17/#post-45211

reporting that I have Linux Mint 18 working on the Chuwi Hi12?

I recall that @destry had a problem with post suddenly not showing up but don’t

remember the fix …

EDIT: Disregard … must have been a temporary Forum glitch.

Anonymous

Moved this here to the more appropriate thread:

This didn’t show up the first time …

Plug keyboard & mouse, via multi-port USB adapter into lower USB port.

Plug Linux Mint 18 USB boot stick into upper USB port

Reboot/Power-on Chuwi Hi12 while holding down F-7

A menu will pop-up offering multiple boot options

Choose the USB stick

Linux!

BBaker
    Participant

good. Anyway, I suggest the Slimjet browser for Linux.  If you need more full featured then Vivaldi. YMMV.  Now that you’re booted, you should prob followup on other Linux specific topics on the Linux Mint forum.  As, I said before @destry has lots of posts going through various things.
    edit: side note, you can install Remix OS inside a LM (or other Ubuntu/Linux) installation without any new disk partitioning required. This is because Remix uses the Linux 4.4 kernel, the same file/partition format (Ext4), and the same Grub boot config.  Have a look at my post about it here in the general section.  I now have Windows 10, Linux Mint 18, and Remix OS 3.0 all installed in a multi-boot config. I installed a handful of my favorite Android Apps and they all ran fine including Youtube videos and Tunein internet radio.

Anonymous

I had read bits of these 14 pages before – when someone linked to a particular discussion – now I just read 1-14. Wow.

Clarifications re. just-acquired dual-boot Chuwi Hi12:

1. Changing “quiet splash” to “nomodeset” causes a verbose boot and something like a 800×600 configuration – the reason for the change was so that the settings from a USB boot could be modified?
    2. I then read that “nomodeset” blocks the functioning of screen rotation and touchscreen – is that correct?
    3. I read that rather than “nomodeset” one might use “video=1920×[email protected]” – does that also allow settings changes to persist when booting from USB – and make screen rotation and touchscreen possible?
    4. Does the driver change to get wifi working require Linux Mint (or other Linux) to be installed or can it be loaded from the USB stick?
    5. If I use gparted to free 20GB from the 44.12GB NTFS partition and set it as ext4, are the driver changes, etc. to be saved there?
    6. I have a 16GB USB 3.0 small stick that I could dedicate to the OS and related files (e.g. apps) and a 32GB Class 10 UHS-I microsd for portable data – what is the advantage of loading Linux Mint on the tablet – speed, to free up the USB port, or ??.
    7. I’m still unclear about the resolution to the touchscreen challenge – is that still unresolved?
    8. I don’t see an place in the Linux Mint 18 Control Center to toggle-on screen rotation … am I looking in the wrong place?

Thanks! David

BBaker
    Participant

I had read bits of these 14 pages before – when someone linked to a particular discussion – now I just read 1-14. Wow. Clarifications re. just-acquired dual-boot Chuwi Hi12:

1. Changing “quiet splash” to “nomodeset” causes a verbose boot and something like a 800×600 configuration – the reason for the change was so that the settings from a USB boot could be modified?
    2. I then read that “nomodeset” blocks the functioning of screen rotation and touchscreen – is that correct?
    3. I read that rather than “nomodeset” one might use “video=1920×[email protected]” – does that also allow settings changes to persist when booting from USB – and make screen rotation and touchscreen possible?
    4. Does the driver change to get wifi working require Linux Mint (or other Linux) to be installed or can it be loaded from the USB stick?
    5. If I use gparted to free 20GB from the 44.12GB NTFS partition and set it as ext4, are the driver changes, etc. to be saved there?
    6. I have a 16GB USB 3.0 small stick that I could dedicate to the OS and related files (e.g. apps) and a 32GB Class 10 UHS-I microsd for portable data – what is the advantage of loading Linux Mint on the tablet – speed, to free up the USB port, or ??.
    7. I’m still unclear about the resolution to the touchscreen challenge – is that still unresolved?
    8. I don’t see an place in the Linux Mint 18 Control Center to toggle-on screen rotation … am I looking in the wrong place?

Thanks! David

1-3. I don’t know; ask @destry or @Jesus via private message and/or here
    4. Should work on USB if you have a live-USB stick with enough space reserved as “persistent” when you setup/burned the USB stick (btw, which app did you end up using to create it?)
    5. What I’ve done is use the Windows partition manager to “shrink” the Windows partition to free up space, then Gparted to create a new partition and format that space as the default Ext4.  This partition would be chosen for installation (where everything gets stored) once you decide to install to HD, if that’s your choice.
    6. Yes, speed primarily, and reliability.  Eg., bump USB stick and it unmounts in middle of using it. Over-use of removables wears out your connectors faster… they become looser, etc.
    7. Don’t know what you mean.  Changing screen resolution is simple and has nothing to do with the touchscreen driver.  In Chris’ LM 18 video he changed the screen resolution during live-boot.
    8. Linux, except for Ubuntu Touch is not explicitly made for tablets (yet) and I don’t think there is any such control.  If you go look at the custom distro that @jesus created (XJubuntu) you’ll see he did lots of tweaks to get things like screen rotation and on screen keyboard working better/well.   There may be some other Linux distro’s that do some of these things. I don’t know.  I just re-read @jesus’ page here where he said more things work and are improved in the 4.4.6 kernel (LM18 uses 4.4.0).  What I would do is this:  1) upgrade the LM 18 kernel to the latest kernel (4.7) and then if the WiFi is still not working then 2) build and install the Realtek rtl8723bs driver.  You should be able to do both of those as a test even from a persistent USB live-boot, before you decide to install.  Then from there, you can try to figure out how to get other stuff working.   See @destry‘s thread on the LM forum for how-to’s.

BBaker
    Participant

I suppose the closest to Linux for tablets right now is Remix OS 3.0 which uses the Linux 4.4 kernel.  My understanding is that Ubuntu Touch runs on only a small set of devices so far… or at least hasn’t been well tested and certified yet.  Unfortunately Remix does not run Linux apps, only Android apps … for now. It would be great if there was some convergence… One OS that runs both Linux and Android apps… or ideally even Windows and Mac apps.   Maybe Remix will get there eventually.  There is a Linux app called “Wine” that allows running Windows apps on Linux but I’m not sure if it works very well yet.  I tried it with my favorite Windows-only drawing app and it did not work.  There some similar Linux projects trying to do the same with Android apps, but I’ve not tried them yet… like: http://liliputing.com/2016/03/shashlik-lets-run-android-apps-linux-desktop-environments.html

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 432 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password