Linux Mint on Chuwi Hi10 & Hi12 Tablets

Linux Mint on Chuwi Hi10 & Hi12 Tablets

TechTablets Forums Chuwi Forums Chuwi Hi10 Discussion Linux Mint on Chuwi Hi10 & Hi12 Tablets

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 439 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

It’s weird – after I created the “unallocated” space in Win10 I went to gparted in Linux where I attempted to make it an ext4 partition.

gparted tried & failed … leaving it labeled as “unknown”.

I ran delete on the partition & got an error which talked about Partition 8 whereas the action confirmation at the bottom had confirmed that I was addressing Partition 16.

But when I canceled out of the pop-up windows gparted showed Partition 16 as “unallocated”.

Partition 8 is the Android ext4 partition 2.50 GiB

BBaker
    Participant

Might have to wait for @jesus or someone else to chime in here since I’ve not done this on an Android dual-boot system before. Maybe something odd is happening with that?  Maybe send Jesus a PM (personal message) or contact him via his Xjubuntu page.  Also, you might gain some insights from searching the TT forums via a Google search like “triple boot site:techtablets.com”.  Also would prob help to post screenshots of your situation like this https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=206846 here and in a LM forum thread.

BBaker
    Participant

David, so we can see your partition setup, run these commands in a terminal window and post the output:

sudo lsblk -o name,fstype,label
    sudo gdisk -l /dev/sda

Anonymous
    Inactive

Here’s what I see, one is the commands you posted, the other a photo of gparted.

BBaker
    Participant

You need to describe what you did prior to those pic’s.  I have no idea the sate of your machine at that time.  Btw, the Gparted pic shows partition 7 (Android) is mounted. Why?  You booted from Live-USB right?  Btw, the pics are low rez and hard to read. I gave more details on the Linux Mint forum thread (which you should really start your own new one under the Install/Boot section of the forum).

Anonymous
    Inactive

The tablet was essentially as-purchased.

All I did was to shrink the partition in Win10 then open gparted & attempt to format the new partition as ext4

Nothing more … I did not want to disturb anything else … just to avoid a time-wasting mess like this. Sigh.

I’ll have to ask on a Linux Mint forum if the version of gparted included with 18 may have a glitch.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Just spotted this at http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3038

Hello Clem, congratulations!
    Testing Mint 18 thru a USB stick.
    I am confirming the above problem.
    I also found out that Gparted gives wrong values for partition sizes.
    Cheers
    npap

Gparted creates partitions with Root as Owner.

Not sure if any of that might indicate unusual behavior on a multi-boot tablet.

BBaker
    Participant

My suggestion would be to restore your HD to it’s original state and do it again, but let the install program detect the unallocated space and install there instead of running Gparted.  Most people do it that way.  For example here is directions for installing Ubuntu on a different Chuwi Tablet but Linux Mint will work the same.  And people have said this worked for the Vi8 and Vi10.  https://github.com/Manouchehri/vi8/blob/master/Ubuntu_instructions.md

Anonymous
    Inactive

My intent is not to install Linux on the Hi-12 but rather to have 20GB on the HDD available for storage.

I’d prefer to boot from USB, keep apps & drivers on the boot USB stick, and use a microSD for portable storage (e.g. images & documents).

I’ve never had any trouble with the simple process of resizing a partition and formatting the new partition.

There appears to be something unique to the dual Android/Win10 partitioning that’s complicating what has always been simple.

I’m sure it can be sorted … in the meanwhile I guess I’ll restore things and live with booting from USB & saving to the microSD.

Thanks!

Tikilou
    Participant

I’ve already explained that, on la test revision of Chuwi Tablets, we need to use linux kernel 4.6 and up about format and repart filesystem. Most of recent linux USB live bootable systems use linux 4.4 by default.

If you want use gparted or other tool, you need to modify any squashfs file of livesystem and replace linux 4.4 by linux 4.6 or 4.7

BBaker
    Participant

<delete>

BBaker
    Participant

[EDIT:] this was a big waste of time. Did not work for me.  oh, well. 

Linux Mint Tutorial –

How to customize live cd/dvd

. [Edit]: this tutorial is out of date; it works up to the point of updating the kernel.

Section 6.3 on this page includes (optional) Kernel installation:
    https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1784

EDIT: I tried it and step 6.3 to upgrade the kernel does not work, these commands fail with “file not found” errors:

cp edit/boot/vmlinuz* extracted/casper/vmlinuz
    cp edit/boot/initrd.img* extracted/casper/initrd.lz

@DavidC, if you’re seeing this, I started a thread on the LM forum to see if there’s a fix/update for this out of date tutorial.

Wojtek Kalinowski
    Participant

I’ve read all pages of  this thread and I still can’t get my Hi10 working. I have a SINGLE Boot version with blue usb 3.0 port. I can boot any linux distro with nomodeset without onboard WiFi working (I changed everything I could in BIOS, got files from hadess github) and I managed to boot twice Ubuntu with i915.modeset=1 instead of quiet splash and I couldn’t boot it anymore even doing everything the same way (one boot with nomodeset and then boot with i915.modeset=1). I’ve tried to update i915 drivers while using nomodeset (and using USB WiFi) but it said that they were up to date. I wanted to edit /etc/modprobe.d/i915-kms.conf but I don’t have this file.

Anyone mind helping me? 🙁

Anonymous
    Inactive

Have you viewed these?

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=223722&p=1197958#p1197958

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=223426&p=1198392#p1198392

Also, have you checked for ideas here? http://forum.chuwi.com

I’m still dancing with my Hi-12 so can’t help until I understand it all a little better.

BBaker
    Participant

I’ve read all pages of  this thread and I still can’t get my Hi10 working. I have a SINGLE Boot version with blue usb 3.0 port. I can boot any linux distro with nomodeset without onboard WiFi working (I changed everything I could in BIOS, got files from hadess github) and I managed to boot twice Ubuntu with i915.modeset=1 instead ofquiet splash and I couldn’t boot it anymore even doing everything the same way (one boot with nomodeset and then boot with i915.modeset=1). I’ve tried to update i915 drivers while using nomodeset (and using USB WiFi) but it said that they were up to date. I wanted to edit /etc/modprobe.d/i915-kms.conf but I don’t have this file.

Anyone mind helping me?

What happens when you try to boot from a Live-USB with Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon 64bit?  That is the version most people have had some success booting with.

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 439 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password