Linux Mint on Chuwi Hi10 & Hi12 Tablets

Linux Mint on Chuwi Hi10 & Hi12 Tablets

TechTablets Forums Chuwi Forums Chuwi Hi10 Discussion Linux Mint on Chuwi Hi10 & Hi12 Tablets

Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 441 total)
  • Author
    BBaker
    Participant

@Laroslav, Also, right after booting up and before doing anything, run the dmesg command in a Terminal and put the log file on Pastebin and post the URL:

cd ~
    dmesg > dmesg.log.txt
    This is ubuntu distro so it doesn’t have inxi, yeah I figured out how to boot from internal drive…
    The program ‘inxi’ is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
    sudo apt install inxi
    Wi-Fi is not working so it won’t connect
    wget: unable to resolve host address ‘github.com’

what shows from:
    dmesg | grep 8723
    and
    lsmod | grep 8723
    and for hardware and networking details try one of these…
    lshw > lshwinfo.txt && gedit lshwinfo.txt
    hwinfo > hwinfo.txt && gedit hwinfo.txt

Iaroslav
    Participant

@Laroslav, Also, right after booting up and before doing anything, run the dmesg command in a Terminal and put the log file on Pastebin and post the URL:

cd ~
    dmesg > dmesg.log.txt

There you go.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Iaroslav
    Participant

cd ~
    dmesg > dmesg.log.txt
    This is ubuntu distro so it doesn’t have inxi, yeah I figured out how to boot from internal drive…
    The program ‘inxi’ is currently not installed. You can install it by typing: sudo apt install inxi
    Wi-Fi is not working so it won’t connect wget: unable to resolve host address ‘github.com’

what shows from: dmesg | grep 8723 and lsmod | grep 8723 and for hardware and networking details try one of these… lshw > lshwinfo.txt && gedit lshwinfo.txt hwinfo > hwinfo.txt && gedit hwinfo.txt

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    BBaker
    Participant

cd ~
    dmesg > dmesg.log.txt

There you go.

It’s missing the firmware files for the WiFi module…
    [ 28.225758] rtl8723bs mmc2:0001:1: Direct firmware load for rtlwifi/rtl8723bs_nic.bin failed with error -2
    You could probably pull these files off of the USB boot disk or get them from the github repo. In the Wifi driver Make file you can see where these files are copied during installation, and so I guess you can find them in this location on the USB boot drive. Are they at this location on your installed HD drive? I think not.

cp -n rtl8723bs_nic.bin /lib/firmware/rtlwifi/rtl8723bs_nic.bin
    cp -n rtl8723bs_wowlan.bin /lib/firmware/rtlwifi/rtl8723bs_wowlan.bin

edit: you can pull them from the driver dev’s github repo if needed:

cd ~
    wget https://github.com/hadess/rtl8723bs/raw/master/rtl8723bs_nic.bin
    sudo cp -n rtl8723bs_nic.bin /lib/firmware/rtlwifi/rtl8723bs_nic.bin 
    wget https://github.com/hadess/rtl8723bs/raw/master/rtl8723bs_wowlan.bin
    sudo cp -n rtl8723bs_wowlan.bin /lib/firmware/rtlwifi/rtl8723bs_wowlan.bin
    sudo reboot

BBaker
    Participant

@laroslov, is your WiFi working now?

BBaker
    Participant

@laroslov, come on man. I gave you a lot of help. At least you can reply and say if it worked or not?… so other people can know if it worked.

BBaker
    Participant

Hot news for Chuwi Hi12 owners! @sergk user over on the LM forum just reported getting the Goodix touchscreen driver working properly. It requires recompiling the driver and installation of a firmware file – he did it using the September 22 latest release of Ubuntu 16.10 Beta2. When the install procedure is nailed down I’ll post it. You can download the Ubuntu 16.10 Beta2 64bit ISO here: http://releases.ubuntu.com/yakkety/ubuntu-16.10-beta2-desktop-amd64.iso

In the meantime here’s the LM forum thread link:
    https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=223426&p=1227178#p1227128

BBaker
    Participant

update: I just create the install instructions for the Hi12 Goodix Touchscreen driver here:
    https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=223426&p=1227190#p1227190
    Note: this is not the final version of course. This is an “unofficial” version for testing made by @sergk who has a Hi12 and says it’s working.

BBaker
    Participant

Turns out Ubuntu 16.10 Final (not Beta) was just released today. So that’s the version to go with needless to say 🙂 I personally would recommend the Ubuntu or lighter weight Ubuntu Mate versions.
    http://distrowatch.com

Ubuntu Mate - Yakety

Georg
    Participant

Hello. I just installed the Linuxium modified version of ubuntu 16.10, which works perfectly fine. The only workaround needed is to boot it through the bios boot override, because it is not selectable as “windows”. Currently installed parallel with Android, but it’s stuck at the “chuwi” screen…

Does this Goodix Touchscreen driver also work for the hi10?

Greetings, Georg

Brad
    Participant

Hello. I just installed the Linuxium modified version of ubuntu 16.10, which works perfectly fine. The only workaround needed is to boot it through the bios boot override, because it is not selectable as “windows”. Currently installed parallel with Android, but it’s stuck at the “chuwi” screen… Does this Goodix Touchscreen driver also work for the hi10? Greetings, Georg

When you say “works perfectly fine” what do you mean?  WiFi is working?  And audio?
    I don’t know about the Goodix touchscreen on the Hi10. It seems that at least on the Hi12 that the latest release Ubuntu 16.10 has fixed the default Goodix driver.  Not sure which Kernel version is coming in 16.10.  But the guy said using Arch Linux with Kernel 4.8.1 made his touchscreen work on his Hi12 without the need to compile the goodix_backport driver and no need for a firmware file.  So I would say just try it on your Hi10 and see what happens.  Or are you saying that the touchscreen is not working properly on your Hi10 running Linuxium’s latest 16.10 distro?  If it’s not working then post your dmesg log to http://www.pastebin.com so we can see what’s going on.

[edit:] Disregard what I said above. I just realize that I misunderstood @sergk on the LM discussion thread.  It’s not really working for him on his Hi12 unless he reloads the Goodix driver. So the default “goodix” driver in the shipped distro does not work upon bootup (cold boot). It only works after restart or reloading the driver via -rmmod, modprobe.

Brad
    Participant

update: I just create the install instructions for the Hi12 Goodix Touchscreen driver here: https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=223426&p=1227190#p1227190 Note: this is not the final version of course. This is an “unofficial” version for testing made by @sergk who has a Hi12 and says it’s working.

note: I see now that I misunderstood what @sergk said. This is not always working upon startup (cold boot).  It’s working for him on his Hi12 only after reloading the goodix driver/module.

Jerror
    Participant

I’ve got a Hi10 Pro with the keyboard and HiPen2 stylus. I gave Linuxium’s 16.10 Gnome image a go. Bluetooth works out of the box, wifi works after compiling the driver — but I have to set SDIO to PCI. The touchscreen works well with angellsl10’s firmware. HUGE thanks to angellsl10 and BBaker! The system seems stable and I’m pretty happy with it.

However, with Linuxium’s kernel I haven’t been able to change the brightness or monitor the battery. Those are pretty important… part of the proballlem seems to be the dire dearth of acpi modules in this inst. The only power supply device is an adapter (“ADP1”) though I’m running off battery, and I have 8 acpi_backlight devices which don’t do a thing. I’d like to try to get an intel_backlight up to control screen brightness but when I try to generate an xorg.conf (“X -configure”) X complains that there are no devices; it doesn’t recognize the intel chip.

I haven’t tried to get sound working. alsa 1.1.2 (the version in Linuxium’s latest images) doesn’t have the chip’s driver. The touchscreen works very reliably, though; loads on every boot (with gslx1680_acpi_ts added to init modules), and even the pen works! The pen is awful, by the way. Outside of linux it is slow and unreliable; in linux you can see why: there’s really horrible random noise in its cursor location which Remix and Windows take large samples of to smooth out.

Brad
    Participant

I’ve got a Hi10 Pro with the keyboard and HiPen2 stylus. I gave Linuxium’s 16.10 Gnome image a go. Bluetooth works out of the box, wifi works after compiling the driver — but I have to set SDIO to PCI. The touchscreen works well with angellsl10’s firmware. HUGE thanks to angellsl10 and BBaker! The system seems stable and I’m pretty happy with it. However, with Linuxium’s kernel I haven’t been able to change the brightness or monitor the battery. Those are pretty important… part of the proballlem seems to be the dire dearth of acpi modules in this inst. The only power supply device is an adapter (“ADP1”) though I’m running off battery, and I have 8 acpi_backlight devices which don’t do a thing. I’d like to try to get an intel_backlight up to control screen brightness but when I try to generate an xorg.conf (“X -configure”) X complains that there are no devices; it doesn’t recognize the intel chip. I haven’t tried to get sound working. alsa 1.1.2 (the version in Linuxium’s latest images) doesn’t have the chip’s driver. The touchscreen works very reliably, though; loads on every boot (with gslx1680_acpi_ts added to init modules), and even the pen works! The pen is awful, by the way. Outside of linux it is slow and unreliable; in linux you can see why: there’s really horrible random noise in its cursor location which Remix and Windows take large samples of to smooth out.

Did you run the alsa-info script to get a log of your audio situation?
    wget http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-info.sh -O alsa-info.sh && bash alsa-info.sh

Have you found any suspicious errors in your dmesg log?
    What do you see in this directory…
    ls /sys/bus/i2c/devices

Jerror
    Participant

Yup, here’s the alsa report: http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=13e9900d1e9f0f02f7a91552894fbf7081fb5232

It only reports on the HDMI audio line. The internal audio chip doesn’t load at boot, with error “intel_sst_acpi 808622A8:00: No matching machine driver found”. Earlier I see “8086228A:00: ttyS4 at MMIO 0x91821000 (irq = 39, base_baud = 2764800) is a 16550A” and “8086228A:01: ttyS5 at MMIO 0x9181f000 (irq = 40, base_baud = 2764800) is a 16550A”. angellsl10 got his audio line out working, but I’m not sure how to follow his method. I haven’t done driver stuff before!

I have many other I2C errors which seem to come down to this: “i2c_designware 808622C1:06: punit semaphore timed out, resetting”. It looks like this is a known bug on Cherry Trail (perhaps x5-8300 in particular) boards, which has roots in a missing acpi iosf_mbi driver (Linux only has the pci driver): https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=155241.

In /sys/bus/i2c/devices I have

i2c-0                     i2c-11  i2c-2  i2c-6  i2c-BOSC0200:00   i2c-MSSL1680:00
    i2c-1                     i2c-12  i2c-3  i2c-7  i2c-CPLM3218:00   i2c-OVTI2680:01
    i2c-10                   i2c-13  i2c-4  i2c-8  i2c-INT33FE:01      i2c-OVTI2680:02
    i2c-10EC5651:00  i2c-14  i2c-5  i2c-9  i2c-LNXVIDEO:00

The sound card is listed as 10EC5651.

Edit: the enumerated devices are:

$ i2cdetect -l
    i2c-3    unknown       i915 gmbus dpc                      N/A
    i2c-13    unknown       Synopsys DesignWare I2C adapter     N/A
    i2c-1    unknown       i915 gmbus vga                      N/A
    i2c-11    unknown       Synopsys DesignWare I2C adapter     N/A
    i2c-8    unknown       DPDDC-D                             N/A
    i2c-6    unknown       DPDDC-B                             N/A
    i2c-4    unknown       i915 gmbus dpb                      N/A
    i2c-14    unknown       Synopsys DesignWare I2C adapter     N/A
    i2c-2    unknown       i915 gmbus panel                    N/A
    i2c-12    unknown       Synopsys DesignWare I2C adapter     N/A
    i2c-0    unknown       i915 gmbus ssc                      N/A
    i2c-9    unknown       Synopsys DesignWare I2C adapter     N/A
    i2c-10    unknown       Synopsys DesignWare I2C adapter     N/A
    i2c-7    unknown       DPDDC-C                             N/A
    i2c-5    unknown       i915 gmbus dpd                      N/A

Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 441 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar